Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens, discos & covid

Options
  • 14-07-2022 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests my son wants to go to disco and I don’t want to stop him as I don’t think it’s fair but Covid is rampant.

My husband feels the child should know that not going to the disco is the right thing to do and shouldn’t go. (I think my husband was born old)

i feel so sorry for the teenagers their world has been made so small by Covid.

he got Covid in February after a disco and wasn’t that sick but I don’t want him to get it again. I had Covid in March ‘20, and was horrifically sick. Which partly explains husbands hardline on it.

so what say you boardsies, will we let the teen have his fun? and cross our fingers, we avoid Covid like most parents. Or should we all be distancing again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

Distancing again.. Did I fall asleep and wake up a year in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

We were super vigilant, worked from home etc etc but the one thing we agreed on was any parties the kids were invited to they were going.

For teenagers I think it's so important to go to the disco mix with opposite sex especially if in a single sex school etc.

Yeah covid is a risk but there's worse out there than covid.

Unless there's someone in immediate household immunocompromised let them fire away and start living again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

OP Covid will be here next year, the year after and the year after that etc. At what stage do teenagers get to be allowed to mix again? I'm sure people understand you being nervous but we're stuck with this virus indefinitely. Have kits at home and test him daily for a couple of days after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi all, thanks for replies.

he went to the disco a great night was had and so far no sign of Covid.

I understand most people have no serious effects of Covid but I was so unwell with it. So we have more of a fear than others.

I agree we will be living with it for a while to come so I’m trying to balance health of my family with my children living their best teen lives.

Sorry I paid no attention to the date on the original post.

Glad he had a great time 😊

no worries re the date… I’ve a feeling this will be a conversation every few weeks for the foreseeable. 🤣

It's part of being a teenager.

The biggest risk is him kissing someone and he doesn't need to be at a disco to do that.

Oh I know… and sadly its never just one ‘someone’… which seems to be part of being a teen too but it’s icky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Ach, I'm 45 and we used to go to discos as teens and see how many people we could shift in a night. Now, don't get me wrong, the idea of shifting ten lads in a night now gives me the heebies - all those germs *shudder* - but it doesn't do you any harm as a teen. In fact when I went off to do my J1 I was shocked at how young americans lose their virginity, and they were equally shocked at us shifting our way through a nightclub.

Advertisement