Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's the so-called labor shortage been affecting Ireland

Options
  • 14-07-2022 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all, American here who has been trying for some time to land an engineering or managerial job in Ireland. I check in from time to time to see the general state of things, and with this labor shortage happening, figured now might be the best time to finally accomplish this dream.

So much has been made over the past year about the US labor shortage, the Great Resignation, whatever you want to call it, and I was wondering if the same thing was happening in Ireland (or Europe in general). When I tried to get hired in the past, I was always told that recruiters will always go for Irish citizens first, EU citizens next, and everyone else after. There were always enough applicants to fill any job in my field (I'm a chemical engineer) before ever getting to outside Europe. Does anyone have insight into whether this might finally be a good time to go after a career, and had anyone seen an uptick in American immigrants? Thank you.

And if anyone has an in with a company that would want to hire a washed up American I'm always up to talk, seems like that might be the only way to actually get through the process

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes it’s the same over here. Lots of opportunities.

Requirements to land an engineering job here:

1) Must have suitable passport or visa.

2) Must have suitable qualification and for some roles suitable experience.

3) Must have a pulse.

Due to the extreme severity of the labor shortage I would expect some flexibility on point 3.

I work for a large consultancy that is hiring chemical engineers. If interested PM me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I work for a semi-state, and we are struggling to fill engineering roles.

Not chemical unfortunately, more mechanical, but I have no idea where everyone is gone!

Our consultant engineering companies are having the same struggles.

Advertisement