Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Open Eir connection

Options
  • 15-07-2022 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm wondering can anyone help me out.

Basically, there's an existing cottage to which there is going to be a fairly big extension built to the rear. There is currently no broadband connection to the cottage but it is shown as having access to Open Eir rural fibre on the online checker and there is the typical black box mounted on a pole directly opposite the gate. There is fairly substantial work being carried out on the existing cottage in parallel to the construction of the extension so we would like to get the house set up to make installation of a fibre line as clean and straightforward as possible. Eir have been no use and will not engage to provide any guidance so can anyone shed any light on the best course of action in terms of enabling works? We want to avoid the need for the installer to come with a masonry drill and bore through a freshly rendered wall...

Would it be most likely that Eir could string a new fibre line from the box on the pole across the road at high level and penetrate through the gable near the ridge? The pole to the gable would be about 16m. We could leave an inverted hockey stick and duct with a draw line leading down the inside face of the gable wall to the room below and Eir could place their ODP/ONT boxes there - this wall will be dry lined with insulated plasterboard so the duct could easily be hidden. The plan from there would be to run an ethernet line back up to the attic and back to a central router/patch panel in the new extension - a run of around 15m.

Or would they be more likely to stand a new pole within the cottage site and run from the new pole underground to an ETU at the cottage and then internally to the ODP/ONT? Not that straighforward as there is a pole and a congestion of ESB lines inside the cottage roadside boundary wall directly across from the existing Eir pole. Internally the arrangement would be the same in that the router/patch panel would be located 15m away.

Not sure how clear I'm being here but I can give more information if needed. Also, I'm not too clued up on the technical terms so pardon my ignorance if I've got anything wrong 😅

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Is there or was there ever a landline to the cottage? If suitable they may follow a similar route with fibre, though probably not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Yes there's a landline coming onto the gable on the opposite end of the cottage from a pole further down the road, which is also on the opposite side of the road. It's actually 32-odd metres away from the house and the line is going through branches so it seems unlikely to be a runner for a new fibre line to be run through - the tree is also on a neighbour's land and they are unlikely to accommodate trimming of the branches to facilitate a new line. The phone line then runs down under the fascia and goes into the house behind the soffit - we would preferrably like to avoid this arrangement and bring the fibre line down on the inside and out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

if the eircode of the cottage says you can get fibre then you simple need to order it, the installers would likely follow the same path as the existing copper line but if you do the required ducting work directly to the pole they simple need to feed through that, however if you cannot duct literally to the pole, then only an overhead line would work.

I think your best bet is order it having done your prep work for what you want to do and hope that its possible, the KN tech should then advise you on it once he arrives

https//openeir.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=a8fdd9780bd84f0799f99522c48f6e66

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Thanks for your response.

Eircode comes back as available yeah. I don't see the existing copper path as viable though as it currently goes through heavy branches. Furthermore the copper line comes from a pole further away than the one opposite the gate. Ducting to the pole isn't possible as the pole is across the road so overhead it will need to be. How do they typically run an overhead connection into the house? I know they don't install in attics but if you left a good internal duct from ridge level down to the floor would they use it? The idea here is to do as much enabling works now for a future connection when the building works are complete.

Ignoring the fibre into the house issue for a second, is it feasible to have the router isolated from the ONT and would the installer be happy with this arrangement or would they insist locating the router beside the ONT? There will be an ethernet cable routed from the proposed location of the ONT back to the desired location of the router / patch panel (around 15m). Or if its preferred to have the router and ONT beside each other, would they accept having an internal duct in the attic for the fibre line, which leads from the gable to the desired router location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

overhead would be the same path as existing copper path, perhaps they might go overhead to a different location, if it meets their criteria.

if this proves no good then maybe they would order you a pole for your land if its workable, then you could run duct to this and get your preferred route

I think your best option is to order it, and plan it then with the kn installer

you don't need router by ONT, you do need a wallplug though, if you run your own ethernet from ONT location to router in alt location, no issue. also they won't go into an attic normally, so run your own ducting up there as needed, come install day you can have it all ready and tell the guy that you will go into the attic to feed through the fibre

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Premises-Infrastructure-Document.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjpnticuPv4AhXNQkEAHd8yCJ0QFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0x1tREGw6BhmawX6GfNXtz

• Advertisement
Advertisement