Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google home without the speaker

Options
  • 15-07-2022 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry for coming across stupid and there is probably an easy solution to this

I would like to have a Google home type device just inside door where I can touch it and control lights in the house , I rather not have a bulk Google home device with speaker as I'd like to hang it

I have googled this but no coming up with any solutions but I appreciate that is probably down to my wording.

I have an old phone I could adapt but rather not use something have to unlock etc

Thanks and apologies in advance

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Depending on your comfort level with technology, you could use something like Home Assistant - I started using it initially for a replacement for my alarm system (so needed a touch panel like you describe) and now it's integrated into pretty much everything for me - lighting, heating, electricity, media, security, etc

Theres a great thread on HA over here too -> https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057668530/home-assistant

Assuming your old phone is an Android this software would do what you need to keep it unlocked: https://www.fully-kiosk.com/

Some examples of HA displays: Linky

The caveat is that you have to have the Home Assistant running on a piece of hardware all the time - this could be a Raspberry PI, or a small PC, or a virtual machine on your NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Thanks for information and help

I think the kiosk app may solve my problem going to trial it

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Loaded it up worked great til last night when it was too dark for motion detection to work will look into settings more.but exactly what I wanted

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You can use microphone detection on the Kiosk app too, if that helps

Advertisement