Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 Carabao Cup

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He is a player with little to no history of injury. He was astonishingly good for Real in the champions league last year. There was not really that much of a gamble. Liverpools paid a little less for 2 players who have been on the treatment table for much of their time at Liverpool (Konate and Alacantara, and had a history of injuries). That's a gamble.

City paying the money they did for Kalvin Phillips who has spent most of the past 2 years injured is a gamble.

You can pay 100million for a superstar 22 year old yet to hit their peak and they can have a leg broken.

Man Utd paying maybe slightly above the going rate for one of the best defensive midfielders in the world over the last 5-6 seasons is not really a gamble. We've all seen him play up until this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Tandey

Murphy for ASM, very surprising substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Garzorico

there is a referee and two linesmen on the pitch looking on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye great player no question but at the same times it's also true only PSG & United maybe 1 or 2 more would pay that for a player of his age

For the record i think hes probably the 2nd best DM in the Prem and in Manchester Rodri has far more strings to his bow, both quality players

Also Konate and Thaigo wage combined wouldn't match his ,

Yes and they called it right. Excellent decision from them.

Wonderful attempt by Murphy but curled just wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool were in for Tchouameni. Funny to think that if they had beat Madrid to his signature, Casemiro likely stays at Madrid. Fortunes for all three would surely be very different. Goes to show how dramatically things can turn on a few key signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Really ridiculous post. The sum paid was highest a club has ever paid for a player of his age on top of huge salary he getting. there a reason Madrid left him go and he was willing for to play Thursday night football with united.

Very easy to cherry pick top players around the world with 250m euro warchest and united fans talk about city buying success lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Final Result

Manchester United 2 V 0 Newcastle United

Carabao Cup Winners 2022-23

Manchester United

Fair play go United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maguire lifting the cup. 🤢

Casemiro should be captain.

Avram Glazer celebrating ffs. Take the money and go.

There's nothing at all ridiculous about it. He was/is an established world class player. One of the very best in the world for the last decade in that position. It wasn't a gamble anymore than any other transfer

Madrid would have been happy to keep him too for purely footballing reasons. Madrid have had Modric and Kroos ahead of him in their midfield for years. Age wasn't a factor in Madrid letting him go. He asked, and he owed the club nothing. Madrid had a fee that they wanted.

If madrid were happy to let him go they wouldn't have been holding out for 70 million euro. They were happy to let him go if they got a price that reflected his value to the club . They're not as good without him in their team this year.

City pay 50 + million for players to sit on their bench. Every other fan talks about city buying success. It's because their accounts are completely and utterly made up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United 100-1 for the Quad with Paddy Power,

9-1 for Cup Treble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Add another zero to those odds, very low for the quad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think they'll do the Europa.

2nd in the league.

FA Cup is obviously possible, but I'd be amazed their squad can hold out.

The caveat for all this is Rashford staying fit. An incredible weapon right now. They've nothing else like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If City beat Arsenal which is likely, and United keep winning, ( top team out of last ten games) then it becomes a 3 horse race for sure

Paddy Power like to get people to part with money. Throwing those odds up now is going to get a lot of feverish fans to bet on it I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If you want to praise Casemiro for being a great signing, then by all means do. MOTM in the cup final for Man Utd's first trophy in 6 years and he has been a transformative signing.

There were questions marks about motive, transfer fee, wages, age, length of contract etc when he signed. I don't think there were any questions about his ability. And his ability has been on show consistently this season. His character is also evident so that can rule out any motive questions. He has proved a few wrong there. A couple of others like transfer fee and wages and length of contract can only really be fully judged on in a couple of years time but at the moment he is justifying 2 of them.

Comparing him to Thiago, fair enough. Both are very experienced CM who were bought at roughly the same state of their careers (29 years old vs 30 years old), both were signed from the reigning European Champions. Both had a large winners medal collection at the time of signing (Thiago 20 major honours v Casemiro 12 major honours (both have a good few other super cups etc)). Thiago cost €22m and went on to win a couple trophies so far for Liverpool and was in PL TOTY whereas Casemiro cost €71m and has won one trophy so far and I would think he should make PL TOTY.

The injuries yeah, you can definitely say that buying players with a fitness reliability is a terrific asset to have. You pay a premium for that perhaps, and whether or not Man Utd factored this in or not, it has paid off so far as he has been very reliable.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember any PL sides buying someone of similar stature in recent seasons for big money and big expectations.

But then comparing him to Liverpool signings, especially a 22 year old CB in Konate is a extremely odd, and I don't see any point in it other than to stoke up some flames. He has his full career ahead of him. I don't see any relevance as to why exactly he should be compared to Casemiro and what he has got to do with a League Cup final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Why is this thread being turned into a Utd vs Liverpool debate? I sincerely doubt any Utd fan gives a funk about any Liverpool player or how much Casemiro cost right now.

First trophy in six years. Looking like it could be the first of many under ETH. Save the bitterness and dick measuring for another day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Because EVERY thread in here is exactly the same, and it ruins it by and large.

I correctly got "pinged" in the week for not knowing the exact rules about Yellow and Red cards between different tournaments, so 2 questions.

1. What happens the 9 players that got yellows today? Do these get carried forward to next year's Carabao Cup?
    2. Do Manchester United face any sanctions for getting 6 players booked? I didn't see two of the bookings but I assume they were both for time-wasting (de Gea and Shaw)?

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

It's others stoking up flames by saying only man utd and x clubs can afford to take a gamble on a 30 year old. This is a lazy narrative and a load of bollox

It really wasn't a gamble. At least not any more than any other transfer. It was this point I was refuting. So I chose 2 players who were indeed gambles based entirely on their injury history. Taking a ount on a player that has all the talent required but is a bit of a crock, is a gamble. Paying a high fee for one of the very best midfielders in the world isn't much of one.

Antony was and still is a gamble. Martinez too. Unknown and unproven quantities at the top and woht large fees.

Casimero became available late in the transfer window and was acted upon quickly. Lots of the discussion around it was of course around fees wages etc, but there was a lot overlooking that he was an established world class star who was still starting for real in the days before the transfer (motm in the super cup)

Di maria was a gamble. He didn't want to be here. Casimero embraced the move once it became a possibility.

Credit must go to the Glazer family for season in season out backing there managers & allowing them sign world class 30 year olds for 70 million , Not many owners like that out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would say only if a player is suspended would it carry over, yellow cards counts should get reset to 0 in a new season.

I think if a team gets 6 or more yellow cards they get a fine but need to find out more

Casemiro is certainly faring better than the last 31 year old that joined the Red Devils from a huge European club!

• Advertisement

It's not that it's a gamble ,

It's simply a fact other clubs would not be allowed by above to sign him for the fee & wages at his age ,

United can & did and gained from it this season, similar to Ronaldo but it didn't work that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Jesus lads it's embarrassing at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A thropy is a thropy fair dues to them,

Just be nice if they don't make a habit of it ,

Feel sorry for Newcastle fans they where never in it in it , Be nice to have had a grandstand finish either way as neutral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great day for the league cup in England and Scotland :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

As a Liverpool fan you were not neutral.

Dry your eyes and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Casemiro signing is a massive case of nobody really giving a toss about the money until Utd got good.

Rinse, repeat for any rival of any club that gets successful.

See VVD, who Liverpool fans got ridiculed for until he was brilliant and brought success. Similarly, Alisson.

See Chelsea now. Nobody deep down gives that much of a toss about the hundreds of millions they've spent, because they're currently crap. It's merely a cheap jibe. If they get successful, we'll all be throwing accusations around of buying success.

The reality is, certain clubs have loose purse strings for various reasons. Nobody cares until it works under a good manager. Then we're all outraged. And so the cycle goes on.

Of course I'm neutral i do not support either team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The good thing is that with success and a positive vibe it becomes easier to attract the right players, with the right mentality, on more reasonable wages. You'll find the opposite to be true when you're going in the other direction.

Ye look it worked out for them without question

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Newcastle were probably the better team up till the first goal after that Man Utd showed their class and ruthlessness put it to bed before half time there was no way Newcastle were scoring twice in that second half.

Man Utd and Napoli are the 2 form teams at the moment in Europe.

How many previous games count as form ?

Book makers normally use 6 to 8 games as there form guide but there is no science behind it ,

If you go back 6 United are only 5th in the Prem, If you go back 10 there 1st , both can be seen as correct

Borussia Dortmund have played 10 and won 10 since the turn of the year, so they could be thrown into the equation, before their next tough games against Leipzig and Chelsea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement