Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing calf. Young lad very upset

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye he bought her in Carrick. He's very happy with her and served her to ptj a few weeks ago. Not sure he'd be able for the 2 of them, slow and steady is the way to go for the minute. He bought another cow and calf last week in an online auction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭rolling boh

He sounds an enterprising lad best of luck to him he will be fine .

Those who are messing with birth dates mustn't be too bothered about stars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Can't see the point in messing with birth dates, like the first year you get on grand, but then after two or three years you would be away out of sic and it would just get to complicated. OP encourage your lad to plough ahead with his entry into the show, enjoy the experience of working with the animals and do the best he can. There can be a lot of skulduggery around shows, in that local lad who are involved in committees sometimes get preferential treatment (tends to happen a bit in the bigger money prize classes). But getting into the circuit is good for anyone and he will get to know who is genuine and getting an animal into a position that it can compete in a show is a fair achievement for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

have you the calf on a high scc cow. Our neighbour breed's angus's and a cow died him and asked if we wanted the bull calf for heifers down the road as we usually buy bulls of him, and we have him on a high scc cow and his some animal now for his age, the only problem now is to settle him down.

The judge for the Angus yesterday was from Scotland and very fair. My lad was hoarse from talking to people and was asleep by 9pm

No, but our cows would have alot of milk. So calves do well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

OP- for me the message would be of honesty and integrity. Your lad could be surprised by the positive messages he gets on the day. We would never get out of bed if our success criteria was just ribbons.

if he has an open mind, you never know what he will learn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

To be breeding calves worthy of the show ring at the age of17, your son is already a winner in my eyes. I know lads that are trying it around here with years. Fair play to him, no harm going to a few other shows and seeinf what the standard is. He'll learn alot though and even if he doesnt win, when he does win, it will make the win all the more sweeter. Good on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Better to enter and be last than not to enter out of fear of being last.

If he enters and is last, he is still ahead off all the ones who were afraid to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@JackWaldron1969 - I was thinking about your son today. Did he go to the show and did he bring the heifer.

Advertisement