Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc harrow

Options
  • 17-07-2022 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello,

I recently bought a 3mtr disc harrow with crumble roller. I haven't used a disc harrow so looking for some advice. Will the disc harrow leave the ground ready to plant grass seed on its own. Is a land leveller to be used after it. The ground has just had hay cut of it so I was not going to spray at all just disc it as it is. Would 4 times be enough to disc it. How is the disc harrow depth controlled/set.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s easier to disc if it had been sprayed.

A local chap did a field in May. I heard second hand it got four runs of the disc and power harrowed twice!! Don’t ask me why. Some amount of diesel though. Would ploughing and levelling have been a better job I wonder??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

If you don't spray then the grass won't break up and you will be left with lumps of grass everywhere. The amount of runs depends on the finish you want but most of the time you would want a powerharrow to finish the seed bed. Only time ya don't is if the ground was badly poached from over wintering for example.

Here I normally get away with 2 runs of a disc and one run of a powerharrow but how long it's been sprayed off plus type of ground dictates this. Also what the field is gonna be used for also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

you have to change the direction of your run each tlme crossing your work at an angle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Depends on the field. What I normally do is follow one ditch line across the field and then travel back over at the angle of the opposite ditch line. Very rare I'm in a perfectly square field.

Advertisement