Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech tree dead on top?

Options
  • 17-07-2022 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Apologies about the sideways photo. I'm wondering if I could cut off the upper dead part and some how channel a new main stem upwards. This tree hasn't seemed to have got any taller due to this, and if it has, I assume that it's over-all height hasn't risen. Also, most beach trees broaden out on top, but unusually this one has been more like a spire shape since we bought it. I could climb up it and try and identify where the dead part starts, and cut it from there.

By the way, this wasn't intended to be a garden tree when we bought it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

That beech tree looks like it's actually an ash tree.

It looks to have ash dieback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats what I thought but the dead branch is obviously coming from the Purple Beech tree.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there any live growth above where those dead branches are coming out of the side of the tree? Cut it back to just beyond any dead stuff, so you are cutting into live wood. It will probably send up some new shoots from the top of that branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

btw OP that looks like die back due to either too little or too much water suspect too little. Its something that beech are known for. Change in water table and you get die back, period of drought and you get die back.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks to be a dawyck beech from the habit, and agree it was probably too wet or too dry at some stage.

I'd leave the dead leader and instead tie the topmost branch to it so it becomes the new leader. Dawycks are a lot slower growing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement