Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parazole for 7 days?

• 17-07-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi guys, my cat had diarrhea, vet suspected worms as he missed his wormer this year. He gave us oral parazole solution, 1.1ml once a day for 7 days. Is this treatment ok to give to my cat?

All the info I can find online says it's a 3 day treatment only.

Sorry for doubting my vet, I'm just anxious.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Parazole is a standard wormer for cats so should be fine. The typical dose for an adult cat would be a single dose at 1ml per kg, so it sounds like the total dose is just getting spread out over 7 days (it’s a three day course for kittens).

I recently accidentally gave my puppy too high a dose of parazole and when I said it to my vet, she said “she could have drank the whole bottle and she’d be fine” so I’m sure you can trust your vet’s guidance.

just as aside, you mentioned your cat missed it’s wormer “this year” - cats should be wormed frequently, like once every 1-3 months depending on how much time they spend outside hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Thanks for your advice it's really calmed my anxiety. And yes don't worry I won't make the same mistake again. He will be wormed every 3 months from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Did the vet check the poo under a microscope / send off a sample? I don’t worm at all and we’ve never had worms.. I do send off a sample a few times a year to be checked and they’ve always come back clear.

Advertisement