Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike helmet (jacket/trousers), what brands, where, what price?

Options
  • 17-07-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I know this is like how long is a piece of string, but looking for suggestions for a motorbike helmet mainly (but secondary, other gear also, ie clothing). Helmet preference is fullface or possibly flip up,possibly something that has fittings for a camera without using adhesive? preferably with an integral sun visor, suggestions where to buy and at what point is price increasing for brand name? I see names like LS2, Viper & shark that I recognise, but I dont know what they are like compared to well known established names like AGV, Shoei or if they are significantly less quality compared to those brands as from what I read, all helmets have to go through the same testing. I had a lidl helmet so was on the budget end, but hadn't been out for a few years, not sure if something got on the helmet but the outer surface was a matte finish but it has gone tacky to the touch, I was happy with the same brand jacket and reasonably so with the trousers, although Id prefer change the trousers, preference is for a curdura/sythetic fabric, I'll likely change the jacket & trousers at the same time.

Are there helmet brands that are cheaper but still good, I'd consider up to midrange prices, features I havent thought of (other than possibly pinlock, which I just read up what it is today).

Use will be leisure, not commuting, but I still want comfort and protection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

🙄 Edited for double post

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Only one brand for me in helmets, Arai. I'd never go budget in helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The brand and price of the helmet is irreverent if it doesn't fit properly, a badly fitting €700 helmet is worse than a well fitted €100 helmet. What you have to do is go into a bike shop with several different brands and get your head measured. Then try on different helmets for 20-30 minutes to see how they feel.

I'd Arai helmets which fitted fine, a Shark that gave me terrible headaches after 10 minutes and now a Carberg that fine, I learnt about trying on for >20 min after the Shark pain.

You can try on different gear in the shop to see what you like and see how it feels sitting on a bike if you ask, make sure to buy from them. Yes you can get gear cheaper on the internet but if you want to go cheaper then buy online, try on and return if not suitable, don't try on in a shop and then buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, for helmets id just try on a few and use the most comfortable

Advertisement