Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greens have set out to deliberately collapse the forestry sector

Options
  • 18-07-2022 12:31am

We all know about the "ongoing forestry crisis". Minister Hackett has been in office for 2 years, new planting is the lowest since 1946, she has said it targets will not be met until 2030 and Eamon Ryan has claimed that all forests were planted in the wrong places. HAckett stands over her department officials bullshit line that European courts imposed draconian environmental conditions on forestry, while MEP Sean Kelly has called them out on their lies.

The forest base is now awash with over 20 diseases and the minister is refusing to order sanitation fellings as is standard in other jurisdictions. TDs report "getting it in the neck" from constituents regarding the collapse in the industry, yet Martin and Varadkar refuse to do anything about it. Both have sold forestry out to the Greens to hold onto power.

What will it take to eradicate the Greens and halt their deliberate destruction of forestry?

Hackett has presided over the deliberate collapse of the forest industry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

We need lots of native stuff...no question about that. Riparian areas, mountain gullies, significant plots adjoining commercial conifers, corners and poor areas of farms and community forests.We also need to plant a timber supply of conifers, SS, western Red Cedar, Douglas and Western Hemlock and Scots PIne. Hedgerows need to be beefed up with native and potentially quality broadleaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Jeez, tis fierce handy to have someone to blame isn't it!!!

I'd say it's about time we forest owners, managers, and workers, took our destiny in hand so to speak.

I've heard horror stories from other forest owners about their "unreasonable and damaging" treatment by the department.

As for sanitation felling, if you have sick trees that are infecting others in most cases it makes ecological, financial, and biological sense to remove the sick trees directly, should you take this action in your own forest based on these sound reasons, i'd say the forest service would find itself in a difficult position regarding any punitive action they might wish to take.

I've found that a sound knowledge base and a position maintained on the "moral high ground" is useful when dealing with govt forestry officialdom.

We've all got a "good purpose" here, from workers planting trees to sawmills processing output and everybody in between. We produce vital raw materials for a wide variety of products, we all make a living, we provide ecosystem benefits when we do things properly, we provide climate benefits similarly, forests have huge amenity value... need I go on?

Now we find ourselves with a link in the chain (the govt crowd) that seem to not share our good purpose, what should we do?

Telling them they are WRONG, well thats gonna go places right... of bloody course not

pleading with the big bad govt bully and protesting saying "please mr/ms govt man dont do this bad thing which is hurting our livelihood and damaging our industry and all the benefits it provides to so many" History has shown this to be inneffective too...

So What??

answers on a postcard please

to

timfromtang

tang

ireland

n39p286

All the best

tim

Alot of what you said I agree with.

However it is important to hold people to account.

I know of many fine public servants who take their jobs seriously. When they refuse to do so, by supporting a minister who is deliberately sabotaging a national industry, a natural resource and the livelihoods of fellow Irish citizens who work in that industry, then they will be blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Apologies I was not clear

instead of

"Now we find ourselves with a link in the chain (the govt crowd) that seem to not share our good purpose, what should we do?"

I could have written

"Now we find ourselves with a link in the chain (the govt crowd) some of whom seem to not share our good purpose, (although many do and are as frustrated at the current state of affairs as the rest of us), what should we do?"

I've had the good fortune to deal with folk in the forest service who are dedicated, principled, knowledgeable and take their jobs seriously, my personal experience with the forest service has been great, (even during negotiations about what to do with 14,500 young ash trees infected with dieback),

In fact I suggest it is possible to "awaken" that attitude in the public servants you deal with

pointing out the shared good purpose at the beginning of the conversation is a good start.

tim

• Advertisement

New proposed forest grant categories....literally for the birds, with production forests relegated to last in preference.

Make no mistake, this is an order of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Good stuff, we need more natives trees and forests and natural wildlife cover

Advertisement