Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel Insurance - Thailand 1 Month

• 18-07-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Will be heading to Thailand for a month in September, I've bought tickets direct from the airline but was wondering about travel insurance and motorbike coverage when I get there.

I'll be renting a bike for the month, does anybody have any advice regarding accidents over there on a bike?

Currently with VHI, Carol Nash and AIG.

Are there policies that cover me should I crease myself over there?

So, motorbike accidents and any thing covid / war in Ukraine related insurance?

Or wing it as per usual :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Multitrip.com have a grading system in their insurance, I went for grade 3, think I paid about 80 for the year.

Not much but its something!

Sent off for my international drivers licence, nice to have that to hand along with my own licence

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I do not want to discourage you.

I have driven a car in Bangkok but i do not think i would be happy with a scooter, if your going rural or smaller towns likely be ok. I have car hire excess with https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ I also took full insurance with the car-hire company. You can be almost certain most bikes will not be insured.

I am very much a "wing it" person and apart from a few compulsory jabs i did nothin.

Great spot enjoy.

Not the first time I've been so know how mental it is. I'm pretty sure any time I've rode over there I wasn't insured.

Older and wiser now

Older yes wiser? i ended driving around Bangkok lost. btw who are you flying with as i may do a trip in spring.

Etihad, sure I just walk out of a hotel and I'm lost :) First thing is to get a sim with limitless date for the month, google maps is my friend

• Advertisement

Etihad thanks i will have a look, i use KLM/air France.

i need advise also on getting a sim as i am going to Columbia in november and i neet to get a sim.

What happened me in Thailand i did not have a sim as i got bad advise before i left which neant i was in Bangkok driving around aimless.

I'll probably get a sim in the airport, oe shortly after I arrive at the hotel. There are loads of spots selling them, don't think its an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You got an annual policy with grade 3 cover for a year? That's a bargain I think I paid nearly that for a few weeks.

Is it necessary to have an International license? i didn't have one. I am planning a trip in a couple of months and i thought my Irl license be ok.

Where can i confirm? if you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All an International drivers licence does is translate your licence into several different languages, you get them from the AA. Depending on where you are travelling to it may not be needed, I'd only get one if going to non tourist destination that has a different script to us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement