Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about mileage when buying a car from a dealer

Options
  • 18-07-2022 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Me and the gf are currently in the position of having to buy a new car to replace our previous one. We found an old car (2011) on donedeal that would be perfect but it's got suspiciously good mileage (less than 55,000km).

We'd be willing to go for it but it's been raised to our attention that some dealers wind the mileage clock back before a sale.

I'm not sure how likely that is to be the case here but is there any way to protect against this when inspecting the car?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The log book/previous NCT records should have the mileage recorded.

It is possible that the car has very low mileage especially if the previous owner was elderly or used public transport for work.

I think my 15 year old car only had 40k on the clock , my current car doesn't have much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you can see evidence of mileage and annual/regular servicing then yes, if you can't no. I'd prefer to buy a similar car with 160k on it with full history than buy one with 55k on with no evidence of any service history.

On the most recent NCT report it will show the mileage for last 3 or 4 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

First thing to do is an online history check, if that looks good then check the previous nct reports and service history in person

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EdensTempleX

NCT Reports Don't Lie 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

Thanks everyone, I think I got what I need from this. 😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement