Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop - charging UK and Irish VAT

Options
  • 18-07-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46 Capone222

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

For those who are unfamiliar Depop is a bit like Ebay where you can purchase new and used items from other people.

Depop have started to add the Irish VAT to purchases from the UK but they are not removing the UK VAT.

To give an example: One person had an item listed for £1. The listing did say not to purchase for a £1, It was a rare sought after item so they just wanted to see what people would offer for it.

However I noticed when looking at the listing from my Irish account the price changed from £1 to £1.23, so they are not removing the UK VAT, they are just charging the 23% Irish VAT on top of the cost price and the UK VAT.

I'm not sure why depop are collecting the VAT as most of the sellers are just selling a small amount of items near and there and not meeting the criteria to have to register with Irish revenue, but depop said that they have to collect it and will pass it on to governments where they can. I said ok that's fine, but if you're collecting Irish VAT you're supposed to remove the UK VAT, but they don't seem to understand what I'm saying and keep sending me links about American state tax and UK import rules and don't want to look at Irish revenue rules!

I would imagine that the items posted here will not say that Irish VAT has been paid on them also so that means paying customs duty and essentially paying for VAT 3 times.

I was just wondering is it legal for them to apply Irish VAT while not removing UK VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Legal where? They can charge whatever they like for items to EU countries. If you want to pay it is another matter. And if they'll complete the import details properly is a third concern.

BTW it's vat and not customs duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

£1 would change to £1.20 if in the UK (20% VAT rate there). The VAT is applied after you click to purchase, when they know where you are based.

The £1 is a VAT exclusive price. They've added 23% VAT and will pass it on to Revenue. You aren't getting robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Capone222

@downtheroad

The £1 isn't vat exclusive. I regularly switch address settings on the depop and can see prices before checkout. That £1 includes UK VAT, there's no extra except the shipping charge.

@Jim_Hodge

I would more than likely be paying customs duty on some items as they are over the limit. I didn't say customs duty was VAT.

But it's not illegal, fair enough, good to know!

Maybe it would have been better not to use £1 as your example of the pricing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Capone222

@Jim_Hodge

An example is an example. That's all. And I wasn't querying customs duty, only VAT, so there was no need for me to provide more examples of a higher value.

Not sure why you have an attitude! Is there any need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Is the price before checkout the issue, maybe its only calculating the VAT rate at the end of the transaction?

No attitude but you made it sound like very low value items. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Trying to sign up , looking for postcode,enter it and it tells me I am in UK?

• I'm guessing there is no UK VAT being charged so they are correct to just add Irish VAT.

If I sell on eBay to Ireland there is no VAT, but if I sell to the UK eBay adds UK vat (as long as it's less than ~€150)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

The sellers themselves are unlikely to be registered for vat, hence there's no vat to be deducted.

If you are based in the UK, that's the price you pay.

If you are based outside of the UK, you will pay vat (and duty if applicable) on your purchase.

That they did not/ could not deduct vat in the UK is of no consequence.

Same if you got a friend in the UK to buy something in John Lewis for £100 and they posted it to you. Irish vat would apply to the £100 as your friend would not be registered.

However if John Lewis shipped it to you, THEY could deduct vat as they are registered for vat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement