Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find a 'Bee friendly' solution to move a hive - any suggestions?

Options
  • 19-07-2022 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Problem first became apparent in spring of 2021. Now in the second year number of bees have increased dramatically. I'm not a 'bee enthusiast' but after patiently trying to get them shifted for over a year without success, I'm now very close to getting them exterminated.

I originally thought they were wasps, called out exterminator who immediately confirmed they were honey bees and said he'd rather not do it and advised me to find a local bee-keeper see if we can get them migrated to a more suitable place.

They access hive via a small gap between top of UPVC facia and slate roof above (it's a traditional stone bungalow). No evidence of any bees in loft area nor in the bedroom which is directly underneath, so they're either in the boxed eaves area of the roof and/or maybe in a void area around the top of the stone wall.

Just below where they go in and out, we have a small block built shed which houses boiler and most of my tools and other bits and bobs. Although I've not been stung (yet), I'm finding their presence rather intimidating and I need to renew the felt roof of the shed which I'm sure would antagonise them.... I really need them gone.

I found a nearby bee hobbyist who tried putting a new empty hive on shed roof adjacent to their access point but although they did show plenty of interest for a day or two, they wouldn't take the bait. A couple of other online advisors have mentioned bee hoovers but to do that I'm assuming I'd need to at least remove a section of slates which I don't fancy tackling but it seems those with the hoovers don't expect to be removing slates either so I'm stuck with it.

I'm also reluctant to poison them in situ as I suspect a hive full of dead bees would then probably attract a different type of problem. Would really appreciate any suggestions on a way forward... many thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

A bit of a late answer I suppose, but here it is. You can leave them as is. If you want bees removed, a trap hive won't help. Here is the only correct procedure:

• The area where bees live will need to be disassembled. The beekeeper may need a help from a roofer/builder to minimize the damage.
    • The beekeeper removes the bees and the honey comb completely.
    • The area is sealed to prevent another swarm of bees coming there again.

There is no shortcut to this procedure. If you kill bees, the wax will decay in time and the honey leak through. The unripe honey also ferments. The smell of the comb will attract bees again or other insects if there is even a small opening somewhere.

Contact swarms.ie if you need bees relocated.

Advertisement