Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still nothing does fur as well as the Gamecube's volumetrically lit fur shaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Man, Google is terrible! Any examples Retr0? I need to find out if you're being serious or not!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished it tonight. Nothing quite like a good six-hour game :)

Really liked it over all - anything I said in previous posts still stands. Some mildly annoying stealth sections later on - emphasis on mildly, because they’re really not going to make you sweat. But I really liked the ending - just a perfectly (I was going to write purrrfectly but thought better of it) judged end note that reminds you that, for all the sci-fi adventuring afoot here, you really were just playing as a random stray cat who had an unfortunate stumble.

I certainly wouldn’t have objected if some of the themes or story ideas went a bit deeper than they do here, but as is it’s a throughly enjoyable, small and short game that does what it sets out to do with some surprising swagger.

Just to reiterate: this is a stupidly gorgeous game with IMO more captivating and beautifully drawn environments than something like Cyberpunk 2077. There are more technically accomplished games out there with all their ray-tracing and what not, but the density of the environments, the environmental storytelling contained within them, and the often stunning animation makes this a real treat. It’s easy to make a beautiful world… to make it feel this ‘lived in’ is quite another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, best thing about Starfox Adventures was the fur textures!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starfox adventures. The Bee boss in Mario Galaxy (Wii had the same hardware features). Some of the clothes in final fantasy crystal Chronicles had it. Didn't appear in many games but it looked great when it did.

I have seen games match the GameCube shaders in fairness but it took years for them to come close.

Can only find low res images for some reason:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Couldn't agree more, I found Cyberpunk 2077 boring and empty. Stray was just engrossing.

Fun trend on twitter of pictures of cats enthralled by Stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Just because I like Fuga: Melodies of Steel doesn't make me a Furry!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My dog was asleep last night and got a heart attack when he heard the cat getting attacked by a Zurk, was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Super Mario Galaxy on the little old Wii is just some kind of magic from another dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Without spoiling it, does Stray have the legs 😁 for a sequel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finished it last night. I did enjoy it, uts fun to explore albeit limited, but as said above its chock full of detail in this small feeling place. I did enjoy the view towards the end, puts it all in perspective and makes it even more impressive.

But as someone also said above, Jr takes strong liberties about what a cat can do, but im OK with that. It was fun.

Re: a sequel, yes, there is room, but at the same time it would be grand to leave it there. I wouldn't mind tbh. I like it, just a few niggles stop.me from loving it. And seeing those screenshots above for the fur, yeah, I think they dropped the ball there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just finished it at 5 hours. Just a great little experience, smiling all the way through. Honestly didn't expect to get emotionaly attached to not just the cat but to the robots and the city too. Only thing it was missing was a photomode.

Such a breath of fresh air to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I had been thinking this is just heavy rain with cats. And now I see I'm not alone, someone has made a mod so the cat says Jason instead of meow 🤣

Advertisement