Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best use for a small plot of land?

Options
  • 19-07-2022 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I own a small bit of land, less than half an acre, but it is located on the edge of a busy national road in the countryside.

Given it's location, I feel it could be a great location for a small business, such as a mechanics workshop, car sales garage or something along those lines as alot of traffic passes by each day, which would give great publicity and easy access to the business.

So I was thinking to clear the land, get planning permission and build a small garage/workshop area which I could then lease out to a small business.

Just throwing it out there to see if anyone has any advice or ideas on what they think could be the best use would be for a small plot of land.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Id forget about the idea of getting planning permission for any commercial use adjacent to a national primary road.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ompl

You could be right, but I probably should have mentioned in OP, the land itself is on a by road, which runs parallel, about 25m back from the national road.

So given that the site access required would be onto a 50km/h by road, of which the by road already has a entrance onto the national road, would PP still be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hard to tell what would get planning. Here in Donegal for example there is a 30 metre building line requirement measured from the centre of the main road and depending on the class of the side road it varies from 11 to 20 metres so you may struggle to show that you can comply with that. Best talk to a local professional or at least discuss the building line requirements with the local roads engineer.

Advertisement