Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the UK but working for an Irish company

Options
  • 19-07-2022 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I’m looking for some tax advice. I am a British citizen and have been living in Ireland for 15 years after moving over as a child. I will be moving to England for at least the next 3 years. I am currently employed by an Irish non-profit and I am looking into how feasible and easy it would be for me to continue working for them remotely in England. I will be resident there and will have no permanent house/address in Ireland.

My understanding is that legally working that way would be fine, but that I might run into some issues with taxing and double taxation as I will be being paid by an Irish company but will be resident in England.

If anyone has any knowledge/advice on this that would be great!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

From the experience of my company, I believe there are 29 working days that you can work in a country while being employed and paying tax in another one... After that there are tax implications.

Happy to be corrected though

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JamesLockwood1

I think you're right, any idea how easy/difficult sorting out the tax implications are? I know the UK and Ireland have a double taxation treaty which I think makes life easier and makes it possible, I'm just wondering how much effort it will be for me, and to a lesser extent the company I currently work for!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

This is the limit of my experience, my companies Payroll team would take over at this stage... Hope you get it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to ask a UK-based advisor: your company will need to comply with the law in the UK, and may need to have a registered presence there.

Another option is for you to be self-employed. In this case, it's you who need the UK based advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is it a small or a large non-profit? Does it have a U.K. payroll currently? If not this is going to be a pain for them. Establish U.K. payroll with you as sole employee, operate U.K. PAYE/NIC and seek a PAYE exclusion order for you. Then after that consider what the corporate tax aspects might be. Truly unattractive for a small employer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement