Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I apply for Eir broadband in a house with no landline telephone?

Options
  • 19-07-2022 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭

I'm in a house which was recently rewired. We've a Virgin broadband connection coming in via a coax Cable through the front wall which is wired in the walls to a router in a cupboard deep in the house, to which all the house's internet is connected via Cat 6. Otherwise it's not wired at all for landline.

If, in the future, I signed up to Eir, or any of the providers which use similar technology, how does that work? Can they connect into the coax cable? Or would they have to run new wiring all the way through my house to the cupboard? Would it be telephone wiring or CAT 6? And would it all be surface mounted?

Everything I read about Eir seems to assume that everybody already has a landline telephone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Landline not required. Fibre cable from an underground chamber on the street or pole, whichever eir use to carry telecoms cable in your area.

From there the rule is 1m into the house where they mount the ONT, that might be negotiable on the day with the installer.

Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router which can be located in a place convenient for you.

Ducting may be required from the chamber to the house to run the cable if not already in place.

Post edited by The Cush on

Advertisement