Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options
  • 19-07-2022 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Does what we do even matter anymore? There are fires all over Europe a big one in Wellington London in the UK and even one here in Wicklow.

So can the World be healed or is it all just too little to late now?

What kind of World are we leaving for future generations?

I for one am glad I lived my formative years in the 90s and 00s as it has all gone downhill since then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

China and India and other major powers are not opting to change course.

So perhaps it's damage limitation mode rather than prevention.

The good news is that humans always find a way to adapt, and always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I sick of the bullshit we have to listen to now.

You cannot even have a sunny day now without someone trying to make you feel guilty.

What is ignored in all this climate change is that man will adapt to any creeping change.

I remember seeing a while back an rte program showing that half of Dublin will be under water in 50 years if we don't all dump our cars and stop burning turf. This completely ignored man's ability to Engineer our way out of things. This bullshit is being pushed at every opportunity.

Sure we might see some changes but in the grand scale of the life of the planet, is it anything more than a natural cycle of the planet. We have had different climate before with major shifts and clearly these shifts were not caused by human emissions.

Also, I believe we are entering a period where a sun spot is going to reduce temps over the next number of years but I've not seen this mentioned in the media.

I am pretty confident that environmental policy is largely responsible for alot of the out of control fires we now get across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I really don't like the whataboutery of blaming China, India or the US.

Everyone is pussyfooting around waiting for someone else to make the first move. Maybe Ireland should set an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's more than a "natural cycle of the planet". Do you think the majority of scientists in the world aren't smarter than you?

• Advertisement

They now want people to fear the weather rather than to enjoy the weather; to mother the population as if they cannot take responsibility for themselves.

A COVID-19 hangover, perhaps.

Maybe Ireland should set an example.

China and India's populations total 2.8 billion; over one-third of the planet's population.

The idea they will be "educated" from Ireland, or even the UK, is for the birds.

Some are. Some are not.

Some are pushing an agenda and others are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's in reference to Europe and America etc reducing every year their carbon footprint while the rest of the world, especially the above mentioned are surging ahead.

Even when Europe get to her zero it will not compensate for the runaway carbon creation of the developing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Tell me you are not serious

Ireland set an example......

To China, To India, To the US, To any number of South American countries etc etc

Just stop and think about that for a moment..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Yes, the world as we know it is doomed. The population of this planet has trebled in my lifetime, all these developing countries are going all out to achieve first world lifestyles. Degradation of the natural environment, increased emissions, war and famine are the inevitable results. Then you have nuclear armed psychopaths such as Putin, Kim Jong Un. WW3 could happen just like that. All efforts to reduce greenhouse gases, etc are doomed to fail, due to the simple fact of a massive population growth. The problems facing the world are simply insurmountable Humans have no natural predators, we are the dominant species, and we are the agents of our own downfall. I probably won't be around in 20 years time, and I shudder to think what things will be like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

It's not whataboutery. It's blatantly clear that the actions of these 3 countries have a monumental impact. Nothing Ireland ever does will have any effect on climate if these countries do not drastically change direction. We are crucifying ourselves in regulation here in an attempt to prove we are top of the class and gain pointless moral victories.

We are an inconsequential island on the edge of Europe. The 3 countries mentioned don't even think about us in the greater scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's going to be a very interesting 30 years ahead. People say they don't care, but they are dumb or don't have kids or think humans have some god given right to destroy the future for other life on this planet. I think anyone who thinks it doesn't matter or don't care should have to swap their lives with those who live off a rubbish heap or without fresh water or sufficient food in the 3rd world.

But that's because of India and China, mostly.

This idea that irrelevant countries like Ireland or Switzerland or Norway or the UK adopting certain policies will help prevent the inevitable is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Can you explain about this sun spot thats going to reduce temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Bhutan has zero carbon emissions, do you think the BRIC countries gave a damm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ireland copied UK, USA consumption levels. We use way more resources per capita than people in India, China, Africa, ... And others want to copy this kind of lifestyle that we perpetuate.

We just consume, spend, build debt here like there is no tomorrow.

Only now insulating houses because we have to, not because it made sense and would have saved money and resources. Why didn't the government impose insulation standards in 1999 for example ? Why can't we trust the government to do this right ? Oh, the government is composed of us, that's why.

So yeah, we are guilty for perpetrating this. You can explain it to your kids how we had a big party taking the odd break to stick our heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

I wonder about this long held Ireland high temp record, how could it be true without our global warming to blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Exactly. I was going to post pretty much this.

Check out the Per Capita CO2 levels per country:

CO2 Emissions per Capita - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Carbon Footprint by Country 2022 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Ireland is worse than China, and much much worse than India.

I can't believe that there appears to be people still denying human caused climate change is a problem. That's really depressing. There is overwhelming evidence now to support this. Consider that just about every government in the world is in agreement with this. No. It's not sun spot cycles - I'm sure they've considered that.

I believe we have passed through a solar maximum ending circa 2008. We are supposedly now starting a period of reduced sun activity. I'm not taking about the 10 or 11 year cycles, more an overall reduction across those cycles that should have some effect on overall temps into the next few decades.

Of course anything that can have a minor effect in terms of reducing temps is discounted yet anything that has a minor effect in pushing temps upwards is instantly regarded as an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

What kind of example can we set? We're a miniscule part of the problem when it comes to climate change. The countries you mention are responsible for a huge amount of pollution. Their populations are massive for a start. They also burn enormous amounts of fossil fuels to generate power for this growing population. They have unfathomably huge levels of industrial output that are pumping Co2 into the atmosphere. China alone in 2019 was estimated to have contributed 27% of global greenhouse gas emissions.

The hard truth is that the only way that we in the west can make a difference is to reduce our demand for goods produced for dirt cheap in China and the rest of Asia. I can't see that happening. To produce goods in the West more sustainably would hit everyone where it hurts most, in their pockets.

People harp on about aviation and it's effect on the climate. That entire industry contributes just 2% of global GHG emissions. So really, what difference do you expect the tiny population of Ireland to make?

I'm tired of the do gooders who think they are holier than thou telling everyone else that the solution is for us all to use public transport and cycle. Yes that would reduce emissions but it's a drop in the ocean. The real culprits here are the major population centres and their industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

...and this is why we are screwed as a species.

We all think it's someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Temp records became kinda accurate in 1880 mostly from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why the fook should I sacrifice many things my family could benefit from and put them through hardship when most other huge countries people couldn’t care?

What we do here is going to make absolutely feck all difference when countries like china and India with populations of 1 billion are opening new coal burning plants.

No thanks. I’m going to enjoy the limited time I have here with my family and not listen to people like Eamon Ryan making me feel guilt for driving my car ffs.

Whats his salary again?

How much carbon footprint does he and his 18 advisors use???

Sick of this bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Those in other countries have exactly the same mentality you do.

Why do you expect them to change their way of thinking when you won't?

All I know is that it is too late for common sense to make a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

we have only been accurately monitoring the sun for what 30 years. I mean they only accurately mapped El Niño in what 1997 ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

It's a hopeless situation, the corporate media has been very effective at sowing discord, as the comments will attest to.

We have no future, be merciful and don't have children, I shudder to think of the future mine will have

Advertisement