Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You want to look after your family, how about sorting out the planet that your grandkids will be born into (if they haven't been born already)

We are writing cheques now that our kids and grandkids will have to cash.

The hysteria this week is just the start of it. We are already locked into these kinds of events. But the more we delay action, the more extreme the future extremes will become, and the more normal the extremes of today will be.

You want to look after your family, it requires maintaining our democracy, fighting for economic justice and political action to protect us against climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Depends on the metric. GHG emissions per capita from production, China is noticeably worse than us. We are slightly worse based on emissions as a result of consumption, but not by much; figures from 2016 have Ireland at 9.14 t/yr vs China at 6.27 t/yr. These figures seem skewed towards smaller wealthier nations being more pollutant though as Luxembourg tops the list at 41.82 t/yr followed by Qatar, Kuwait and Brunei.

It's just not that simple a problem. Over a third of our GHG emissions are from agriculture. 37.1%. That's more than our residential and transport emissions combined (30.1%).

So our biggest problem to solve is our agriculture sector, but we export about 90% of our agricultural production, so if we stop that you're just moving the problem elsewhere. People have to eat. Efforts are being made to make our agricultural sector more environmentally friendly and people are innovative so I have no doubt that figure will be reduced into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

In case you missed it, populations are naturally declining in “rich” countries like Ireland, across the EU, Japan, etc. It’s one of the main reasons given for importing the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

See recent census, population going up in Ireland, the origin of people's birth doesn't really matter if it's still going up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I have an interest in the solar activity cycle, and first of all their is no direct evidence we are about to enter a solar minimum, in fact our current cycle 25 is actually on track of maching or even being greater than the previous cycle 24, it is far from entering any maurader type minimum.

Second while historically past mininmums have coincided with periods of low temperatures, their is no evidence that their is any correlation to solar activity to cause it.

Now yes you can google plenty of articles of people and so called experts who are predicting the next minimum and impending ice age to go with it. But in reality the experts at NASA and NOAA who study this, do not predict anything of the sort as of yet.

Post edited by firemansam4 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Interesting point there that temperature rises ahead of a rise in CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Then you believe totally incorrect and haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

You've offered a good explanation here but is this personal stuff really necessary? The explanation covers all of that anyway.

I dont mean it to be personal but he is throwing out nonsense To try and make a point.

He first stated a sun spot was going to cool down the climate, and gave out that the media are not covering it.

Edit, I took your point and edited my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The oil industry make money off oil. There is no guarantee they'd have a monopoly on any alternative source. Therefore they will not be on board with reduction. We know they buy up and shelve inventions that make engines too fuel efficient. Its been documented. They killed the electric car decades ago and some car companies are only playing catch up because they are being forced by market trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Ireland, despite its small population, is a pretty influential country in the world, it's not by population that influence is gauged.

It's not about finding excuses not to do anything and amongst all excuses there isn't anything worse than other's lack of commitment since it's the proof that action is even more urgent from whoever willing to undertake it.

• Advertisement

I feel that many measures being taken now ultimately will just be too little and too late. Carbon taxes, grants for solar panels are not going to solve the impending disaster if its as bad as some experts predict.

Their needs to be a large scale revolution of the way we produce energy throughout the planet, im not sure if thats possible with existing technology. Hard to know how we are ever going to reverse or even slow down the damage being done to the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ok so while past minimums have coincided with periods of lower temps, there is no evidence of any correlation between the two. I'd suggest there is a very very very strong possibility that it might be something to do with cooler temps. Again we are back to requiring bulletproof science to prove any possible natural cooling/cycle but a bright and shiny barcode going from blue to red with little to no reference data is enough to prove climate change to the masses.

Quite alot of expert opinion appears to point towards a solar minimum. I will read further on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Yes , very interesting when trying to estimate the effects of human caused CO2 emissions . ( P.s those graphs don't sit well with certain " agenda's " ) .

Two more to digest .

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭rogber

Humanity is a cancer on the earth, we all see the damage we're doing and the vast majority of people, including the supposedly idealistic young generation, don't give a f*CK and are totally unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary. There is a big bill from nature coming our way and we deserve it.

Example: a parent I know praises her kids for being so environmentally aware because they encourage her to shop in the closest supermarket rather than one further aware so as to reduce car emissions. Yet the whole family don't think twice about flying off on holiday 2-3 times a year. It's ridiculous and not at all untypical of how people approach the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

How can you expect China and India to make changes if we don't at least do them ourselves? Surely that's the main point here.

Because they wont. one is a dictatorship the other a cast system. They will say one thing do another. You can shout at them tomorrow hey we had a legally binding agreement. They will say And!

They are more likely to make changes than we are, in my opinion. Look at the one child policy, as if that could be introduced in Europe or USA, forget about it. When the sh*t really hits the fan I expect China to be the ones who do what is necessary to mitigate and also to reduce emissions.

china don't have a 1 child policy. We don't need it were in Decline. That's if you remove immigrant birth rates. We could lower ours easily stop immigration You would support that yes ? We produce things as green as we can. China hey lets fire up some more coal power stations.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for the Immigration question to be answered it's a very distinct blind spot with the greens. 🤔

China are producing the stuff for us though, your house is full of Chinese crap. They did have a one child policy though, I think it's gone now due to declining population but no other country could implement something like that.

And we couldn't easily lower our population, if we stopped immigration or put caps on how many kids people could have the economy would collapse. If we are to continue being part of the capitalist machine growth is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

They rescinded the 1 child policy when it mattered most, they've go the bit of capitalism firmly between their teeth and they won't let go now for nothing, if we went zero emissions in the morning it would matter nothing on a global scale unless the bric countries make a massive effort

Says lower population then destroys own argument by saying we cant. See the Immigration question always gets sidestepped. Won't support lowering it due to well we need them to work. yet creating more and more carbon.

Oh I'd love to lower the population and degrow the economy and for us all to be happier with less money and stuff. But that's not going to fly in the real world, most people don't want that unfortunately.

So would I but it's never ever ever going to happen so why not focus on what we can do. Reducing the heard is going to do nothing it will actually create more carbon as the meat will still be shipped in for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

"China hey lets fire up some more coal power stations"..in fairness China's new coal power stations are only designed as a temporary stop gap while waiting for clean energy production to catch up.

They expect to peak emissions by 2025 and then begin to decline as green energy technologies begin to take hold.Their target is a 25% drop in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, a target they are expected to exceed...their longer term target is near zero emissions by 2060.

The Day I believe what a dictatorship has to say well. And were also relying on the information said dictatorship is supplying. I mean does anyone believe their covid death rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I would have more faith in what an authoritarian state says and their ability to implement their plans than I would in a democracy to do same...after all they do not need to worry about pleasing everybody and winning the next election.

They can just get on with the job and do what needs to be done.

Advertisement