Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late for Europe and the World. There is fires everywhere.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ohh I always accepted the theory of it, just like their are many other theories out there, but they cant be counted as evidence until science proves it to be fact.

You are really making my point for me in your post. Yes their has been natural cycles within the climate of the planet which happen over long periods of time, a 1000 years like you say is a blip in the natural cycle of things. So their is no way to say any such cooling period is imminent any time soon.

Yet scientists are saying that the planet is heating up in a much shorter period of time right now and they are saying we are causing this rise in temperature. If they are correct and this trend continues then it will start having massive ecological consequences in the comming years. My point to you is that if this is the case we can not rely on any grand solar minimum or any other natural cooling period to magically dig us out of this hole we are getting ourselves into here.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Your exaggerated posturing adds nothing to the conversation. As horrible as someone like Putin is or any other major world leader in fact it is highly doubtful that they are insane. In fact most are highly intelligent. He may be self interested but the environment internets us all. Even a megalomaniac like Putin understands that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What compels you to think the ecosystem is collapsing? Is there something you know that the rest of us dont? If there was compelling evidence of this then everyone would be very aware of it

If you are going to blindly cite the IPCC reports that have been published recently - they say nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A carbon offset company that was planting trees in Spain accidentally started a massive wildfire that has consumed about 35,000 acres — and it wasn’t even the first forest fire they caused this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I just looked outside, no fires.

Can we go back to being mature now and stop panicking about every little weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Now I'm a hypocrite because I do not do much to help but I do really worry seeing older, wealthier people arguing that it's either not true or mankind will adapt. I just don't think you take it seriously if you know it will never affect you

I looked outside and didn’t see a radioactive fish lads therefore Fukushima wasn’t an ecological disaster.

I remember about 10 years ago on the beach in the Carolina’s we were getting choked up by miles of smoke plume…… from southern florida.

no idea if Italian/Spanish fires will smoke their way to your doorstep across the channel this time but nevertheless it’s still plenty serious

• Advertisement

Most fires are started by people not all.

And regardless of whether naturally occurring or not the climate change has only lended to forest fires being ever more frequent and wider spreading as the climate gets hotter and the forestry gets drier.

How about the Uk breaking temperature records within just a few years of each other. But that's ok because we all remember hot summers back in the day, and something about weather maps being made to look more scary now.

Nothing to see here lads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Here's some breaking news for you, fires have been around since the start of time nuclear reactors haven't.

Maybe have a good old think to yourself before you post next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Who cares if there are fires so long as they are not approaching residential areas? It is well known that nature quickly recovers in burnt areas, it's not like we've lost these areas forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

You sound like the person trying to work out why they are reading heavier on the weighing scales.

Ohh it must be because its a different time of day or its because I ate an hour ago, the weighing scales must not be reading correctly....

The experts and scientists know a lot more than we do on these matters and they are sure that global temperatures are rising fast. They are predicting dire consequences because of this. I wish you were right and its all a load of cr**p, it would make things easier for us all.

But normally the experts and scientists in the field are more clued in than us randomers on the internet. And I fear that this will become more apparent in the comming years.

It doesn't seem you thought about this post: what does Nuclear energy being technological have to do with rebutting my sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Yeah the little Green men are a Green army too. Ecological munitions. Care about the climate don't start a needless war. Destroying cities that need to be rebuilt definitely Green that. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Absolutely not - this thread is well worth a read: New doubt cast on Ireland's hottest temperature - Page 3 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Certain quarters would love to cast doubt on the weather records of the past, it's an agenda.

It's not the Technology I have an issue with. All it would take is a few landowners that took up the hobby to get into a competition. It's hotter on my land. The mistake is thinking people are honest. At least now we can verify the data, Albeit next to a runway or airport thats a heat trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

California had apocalyptic wildfires so did a lot of the Pacific North West of America in the past few years Australia too it depends how the media spin such stories on whether it's a nonstory random occurrence or a climate change weather phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What's the agenda, make the planet uninhabitable for humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

The human race is literally cancer to the planet, and whether in our lifetime or the next we will eventually destroy it... Just have a think about how many things we produce and how much materials these things take to produce, factor in that we exponentially want more and more as we are all greedy ****, Things dont even have to be broken any more to replace them you could have a perfectly good 2015 car and they ll go again and produce a another one because someone's greed and sense of entitlement makes them want a new one.

And that's just cars do that scenario with every other thing we use from a day to day basis from food to clothes and everything in between....factor in then that there are billions of us doing that and it starts to paint a pretty grim picture.

The bottom line is it simply isnt sustainable we are painting over the cracks here with our feel good approach to reducing our carbon footprint all the while countries like india, china ect wipe out our efforts in the blink of an eye its a waste of time... the best thing for this planet would be for a massive amount of us to be wiped off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Short answer-yes. We've wasted decades when this should have been dealt with and have read climate scientists who say we've gone past the point of no return so it's just a matter of adapting as best we can until...we can't. Only have to read some comments here to see why politicians have not been forced to make the drastic cuts needed in emissions. Thank god I never had any kids and that I'm middle aged now is all I can say as I dread to think what catastrophes are awaiting us in the next half century. AMOC that may be nearing a shutdown for example.

Have decided I'm not going to worry any more about this as there's nothing I can do about it and I already live a low carbon lifestyle so just going to enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth.

Thats never going to happen though. You mean for this amount of people with the way of life we have buying crap we don't need. Easiest thing we could do is take planned obsolescence away. Yes companies would hate that. Move away from Plastic crap use metal or wood. I remember the greens banging on in the day about paper. So what did we do.. move to plastic. Now plastic is bad and back to Paper straws. It's almost like the Greens have no idea what they are on about. Cutting the rainforest down for paper was bad but seems to be fine now to export beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

You might want to take 2 steps back ted and have a quick look at the bigger picture, get the cogs turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Shoog

Alternative energy can cut fossil fuel use to around 20% of current levels. That's a huge reduction in emissions with zero impact on deliverable energy.

Alternative energy is a viable path to addressing climate change even with current technology. We are not in fear of running out of fossil fuel for essential backup if we roll out alternatives to do the majority of the heavy lifting.

If we don't do this the next two generations will be dealing with constant natural disasters brough on by climate change, and the recovery from each disaster will slowly bleed our economies dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The recent record breaking temp in the UK is misleading because it was taken at Gatwick Airport. As you will know from going on Holidays , the runway is far hotter than anywhere else. Going back to 2019 the UK record was taken in a botanical garden , another location with artificially generated heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Shoog

I can assure you from personal family reports from the UK that temps were very exceptional across most of the country. The headline figures were accurate. Data records always account for local exceptional conditions and what is most relevant is how much the temp diverges from the norm at any given location. Back in the early 2000's WattsupWithThat tried to claim that urban heat island effects accounted for all of global warming - they even went to the extent of producing a scientific paper. The only unfortunate thing was that when they analyzed their own data it confirmed that the official records compensated for land use changes and urban heat island effects and their own data confirmed global warming at all the "problematic" stations they examined.

• Advertisement

The temperature that day hit over 40c in 2 locations. It hit 40.3 in Coningsby, Lincolnshire as well.

Advertisement