Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locate VM ( UPC ) and Eir access points.

Options
  • 20-07-2022 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I’m having some broadband dropouts which the VM technician says is due to low signal levels.

The original VM access point was close to the ESB meter but then we had a new side extension and the

ESB meter was moved to the extension side wall. I’m not sure what happened to the VM access point,

whether it was moved or not. The VM technician said I need to try and locate the access point and

make it accessible as that will always be an issue if I have service problems.

Just to complicate things further, I had an Eir landline as well, but I cannot locate the termination point for

that either. What do these access points ( VM and Eir ) look like ? Are they normally boxed and if so, what do the boxes

look like ? Is the cable black coax ? I have some pictures of the extension during the build phase, but these access points are not obvious to me.

If I were to approach other suppliers ( Sky, Vodafone, Eir, etc ), to see if a switch is possible, are they likely to decline on

the basis that the original landline access point location is currently unknown ?

Some other details. The house was built in 1994. The front of the house is fully paved so digging is not really a preferred option.

The VM signal is split between the sitting room and the side extension ( two connection points ). VM provide tv and broadband to the house.  

The Eir landline was originally in the hall and there is still a classic phone socket there.

Any advice on how to locate the original VM and Eir access points appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Best guess the access points are buried under the extension if you can't find them. I'm assuming there was no enclosures built into the extension for them.

These are the boxes used for the connection points to the house, an ETU - Cable / Telecom ETU Box Only White - Goodwins

My sister's house in Lucan, built around 1994, has 2 of them at the side of the house, almost at ground level, for VM and landline, below the ESB meter box.

If they can't be found the only option might be to dig down and try and find the ducting carrying the ducts/cables from the road to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is it overhead or underground cables to the house? I say the eir socket is the original entry point, does it have a little brown connector box beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

Underground cables to the house. No sign of any little brown connector box and I'm trying to remember if one was present in the hall. The added porch and extension to the side changed everything. Is the only way out of this to find the original inlets and make them accessible ? That will be a nightmare and will involve lifting floors, opening up stud walls and possibly digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If the cabling is now behind walls,under floors etc the "easiest" might be to intercept the cables on the way in from the street to the house by digging down and running new cables to the house.

Easy options I'm afraid are probably buried behind the extension wall

Advertisement