Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Assistant - best server

• 20-07-2022 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm new to this so... take it easy..

Im looking to install Home Assistant on what? I'd like something a little future proof and reliable.

The more i read the less i know, so words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. The more plug and play the better ;-)

Thanks

I'm n

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

RPi4 if you're starting out (and can get your hands on one). A RPi3 will work also, but might be a bit tight on RAM.

I migrated my setup to a Optiplex Micro running Debian. HAOS is one of the services running on top of either KVM or Podman. Plenty of hw for the foreseeable future; i5-8500T, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and only 7W idle draw. You can find them secondhand on Adverts fairly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I went the Optiplex route too. Though I'm using Ubuntu and have HA running in Docker (along with other services, like Frigate for my cameras).

I didn't find it too hard to set up, and the PC will keep me going for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I'm on a pi4 now and it's great, I was on a pi3 and it's ok, but avoid it if you can though and use something juicier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'd agree with the above. I started on a Pi because I had some lying around but they aren't up to the task. Was constantly laggy. Great for a quick set up and getting an understanding of how it works though! I've since repurposed it to run a ZigBee to MQTT service for some devices in a remote section of the house so they can have uses beyond initial testing.

Currently running HA as a Docker image on an old media server I already had. It was low powered to begin with and it's got a lot of years under its belt now. No hassle with HA though so don't worry too much about how powerful a PC you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭andydurnin

Hi. Can anyone recommend a pi4 to buy. Where would I buy one and what would be a good price ? What all would I need for a pi4? Sorry for all the questions but new to this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pi4 are like gold dust, so if you have an existing spare computer/laptop lying around, you would be better off with that.

Advertisement