Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand Garage - questions

Options
  • 20-07-2022 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My dad is getting a new garage at the side of the house. The current one is a 17' x 11' garage made with narrow concrete columns (approx 2.5' wide) which are bolted together. There's 22 columns in total along with 10 roof panels, roller doors and PVC side door and window.

Is it worth the hassle to disassemble, transport and reassemble it? Where could i find a service that would help transport the components? We're based in Dublin and looking to transport from Dublin 9 to Dublin 15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Given the cost of materials these days Id say its well worth taking down putting up again. Can you get a loan of a van or long trailer for the transporting or do you know anyone that would help in that regard? Whats the maximum length of any of the individual pieces when taken apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

The individual pieces aren't that long, probably no longer than 8', the roof panels would probably be the most awkward at 3' x' 6'.

Unfortunately I don't drive hence my predicament!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm probably stating the obvious but can you get any help from family members, friends or neighbours? The only other thing I can think of is to look for a handy man or a "man with a van"

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Yeah i was looking into man with a van type ads but given the volume wasn't sure they could carry the weight without making the number of loads too expensive. I'll keep searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

Re. Transporation : A Ford Transit Pick Up or similar would be handier than a van for loading, unloading, or an 8' long builders trailer. A flat body truck with a crane would be ideal, most large builders providers have one, some drivers have a little side line going at weekends ! I assume that it has to be removed off site and someone has to pay for it's disposal whether it's to your house or the nearest dump. The bulk of the cost is in the labour of dismantling & reassembly unless of course you can DIY with the help of a friend - it's a two man job. Labour is expensive and hard to find, do some back of envelope calculations before you commit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement