Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options
  • 20-07-2022 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Primetime covering social media abuse tonight. James Owens had this to say:

"The most important thing is that if you're after having a game, for the next two or three days, just don't follow anything online or anything like that. Don't be looking at stuff because there can be nasty stuff said about you and it can get personal."

Speaking about the psychologist that works with inter-county referees behind the scenes, he added: "He helps us in as many ways as possible, especially after a weekend game or whatever, if something controversial is after happening, you know, we're encouraged that he's only a phone call away, and just pick up the phone and he's there to talk to you."

The top-level referee has a sharp message for the trolls who are behind increasingly personal online abuse.

He said: "I'm an individual. You don't know what kind of a day I'm after having. You don't know what's going on in my life, my personal life, you don't know what's going on in my family's life or whatever.

"You mightn't mean to do what you're doing, but you know, something like that could tip somebody over. My advice is - just think before you write."

Do we as posters, myself included, need to call out this kind of thing treatment of refs, and not just of refs but of players too. We've all rage posted at some point, particularly after a game. But rather than trying to stop doing certain things, are there better habits to be picked up? How about a positive referee thread, where we seek to point out good things refs have done and why?

Comments

Advertisement