Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would you ever think of becoming a ref yourself?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I agree with this but also see it from a different view point in that targetting individuals whether with a lifetime ban or a two year ban or whatever doesnt really address the systemic issue. I'd rather see clubs penalised, and I think the GAA also needs to lead in a positive way by putting rules in that protect refs, e.g. silent sidelines at underage or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

Got fairly thick with a ref myself this year. First time ever. Playing, coaching and doing admin in GAA for over 40 years now.

Lad arrived to club with just one umpire for a junior C league game and asked me if I'd umpire the other end. No bother says I. I've umpired quite a bit up to inter county level.

Halfway through the first half a random young fella wandered down to near the goals and started kicking a ball around with a younger pre-teen kid.

High ball comes in just to one side of the posts and keeper catches it. OK, it's my club's keeper. But he clearly catches it inside the line. I actually had a brilliant view of it. Next thing, the random young fella on the far side sticks up his hand and the ref gives a 45!

I actually almost lost it but thankfully didn't. I was doing the lad a favour. I wouldn't act the bollix when I'd be doing umpire. But even, then, I didn't abuse the guy. I questioned his decision, I questioned why he asked me to do umpire if he wasn't going to believe me and then I contented myself for the rest of the first half listening to the keeper and the random young fella call each other all the names under the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Dublin camogie have sent a letter warning clubs that they face possible expulsion from tournaments should abuse of match officials continue.

Ah to be fair the Ref sees the hand go up and reacts almost on instinct there; thats all about the young lad acting the maggot in my book.

• Advertisement

Similar happened my team at the weekend - county semi final...

Keeper saves the ball down low by the foot of the post, ball spins up high and goes out to the left ot the post.

The umpire , from the other club, was standing right beside the post , ducks out of the way , and then raises his hand to signal a point.

The 3 of us on the sideline were directly in line with it, and could see it went wide... We started off at yer man doing umpire...

We were telling the ref it was wide, (we had no problem with him at all) , and that the umpire was cheating...

The ref went in , spoke to him and gave the point... I spoke to the ref after and i told him we had no problem with him at all, but the umpire was a cheating bo!!ix , and hes known for it .........

That point took it to extra time ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The GAA are organising a “Respect the Referee” weekend across October 22 and 23.

In the wake of referees being subjected to physical abuse in recent weeks, counties who organise senior finals on the days are being encouraged to celebrate match officials. The GAA are also recommending referees in the counties be invited to the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I wonder has a player ‘remonstrating ‘ with a ref during a match ever succeeded in getting a decision over turned……if not then surely this is enough to demonstrate the absurdity of such ret@rded/imbecilic actions by players and mentors….

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

Surely a bit meaningless and a signal that they dont intend to do anything meaningful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This sort of nonsense is going on everywhere. Just two stories from English soccer.

There will be no fixtures in the Merseyside Youth Football League this weekend.

A junior football league in Merseyside has cancelled all fixtures due to be played this coming weekend ‘following multiple incidents of inappropriate and threatening behaviour’ toward league and match officials.

The Merseyside Youth Football League, which is home to more than a hundred teams, ranging from under-7s through to under-17s, made the announcement on Saturday (October 8) that it will be taking the ‘drastic action’ after discussions with committee members and match officials.

'That lump there will be there for the rest of my life': Dave Bradshaw talked about the assault he endured, as Claire Hannah reports

Bans were given to 380 players and coaches for attacking and threatening referees and match officials in English grassroots football last season, according to a damning Football Association (FA) report.

The report for 2021-22 recorded a significant catalogue of "toxic behaviour" against officials in youth and adult football.

The report comes in the wake of an attack on a highly experienced referee from Wigan on Sunday 2 October and as a charity head slams the report as "unrepresentative of the scale of the issue".

Dave Bradshaw was left concussed and broke several bones while officiating a Remembrance Cup fixture between Platt Bridge and Wigan Rose.

The attack happened after he gave a player a red card and has prompted the referee to say "it is only a matter of time before someone is killed".

Dave said: "This is just the tip of the edge, it's getting worse.

"I hope I'm wrong but I hope a referee doesn't get murdered because of what happens on a football pitch.

"You've got your premier league players and pundits who are picking up on every single little decision a referee makes and being scrutinised. A referee can make one mistake and they're the worst ref on the planet."

Its a fair point - a lot of the time its really just venting. Dont forget also the fans. the parents and everyone else who basically isnt the ref. Its far from just players and mentors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

An Intercounty Team I was involved with before, one of the coaches specifically said at half-time (when we were 6 or 7 points up: 'I think we need to start getting at the ref in the 2nd half just to start getting some of the 50/50 decisions'

It's things like that that don't help, when you're trying to almost intimidate the ref into giving you future decisions

How can any mentor/player who mouths off to / abuses officials, expect to get decisions in their favour….if the ref has any ‘balls’ it will have the opposite effect……it’s stupid macho talk that is a blight on the games. Adults and mentors need to take a good look at themselves in the mirror too as it is them who pass this ‘cancer’ on to the younger players and the whole cycle continues…😡😡

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

I was speaking with the ref after the semi final about the incident , and he said he gave us 2 soft frees to even it up !

When i was reffing , the more a team or its management 'got onto me' the less likely it was that they were going to get a 50-50 decision.

And i reffed with other refs that would crumble under that kind of pressure and give whoever shouted loudest and longest got the decisions....

Also, when i started out , one of the older refs told me " if you know he did it, but didnt see it, remember that for the next time you are reffing him" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The question was asked whether remonstrating with a ref ever succeeded. I doubt it, but the point is to draw the ref's attention and maybe get favourable decisions in the future. Nobody really expects the current free to be overturned.

But refs are human, and if they get pushback, they will naturally question themselves. Did I get it wrong? Did I miss the steps? A ref then starts to question themselves and when a decision is to be made the past 'wrong' decision will naturally play its part. They won't want to make a mistake again.

Refs are doing their best to be fair, they rarely (if ever) go out to favour one team. But everyone makes mistakes, and in many of the calls, particularly in GAA where the tackle is so open to interpretation, it is not a mistake as such, more an interpretation.

On the other side, letting your annoyance with the management team influence your decision-making is also wrong. There is a bias there now as well. That is totally understandable, but as a ref, you have to put that aside.

Another ref said it best the other day to me. Following the Roscommon incident, they now go to the two mentor teams and state very clearly that no questioning of calls, or indeed claims for frees, will be accepted. That he will ref the game to the best of his ability, he is confident in that ability, and they need to focus on their team and leave the refereeing to him.

Everyone knows where they stand, the mentors are told to pass on the message to the players and off we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

On your last sentence - I got first hand experience of that a few weeks ago. Defender was all over me in a match. Pulling at the jersey the entire time. Acting the maggot. It was junior match, so no sideline officials or umpires. Only the ref. I swung back and caught him in the month. And obviously made sure ref wasn't watching. The gurrier went down and the blood started coming from his mouth. When the dust settled, the ref called me over and said that he didn't see any incident, but that I was a marked man. From there to the end of the game, ref did his best to have a go at me. Gave a free against me for everything - any little contact in a tackle, overcarrying. Even said he would give me a yellow card for diving when I was pushed in the back.

Obviously I shouldn't have elbowed the guy, but you reap what you sow in his case. I warned him that I would do it if he did it one more time. And he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,999 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well if a referee does what you suggest and give the decisions to the opposition then it doesn't say much for him either. The game should be refereed fairly and according to the rules at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Personally what I find the most damaging is these commentators and pundits sitting back and not supporting and backing referees when they are abused/challenged/accosted during the course of their duties.

It’s pervasive in other sports, too. Their silence, as well as excusing, facilitates and encourages toerag behaviour against officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

"I wouldn't be reffing at this level and you wouldn't be playing at this level if either of us were good enough not to make stupid mistakes" 🤣

That brutal bit of honesty was delivered to me (in a joking way) by a ref once and stuck with me.

Not sure what it adds to the debate but this thread reminded me of that interaction.

"Personally what I find the most damaging is these commentators and pundits sitting back and not supporting and backing referees "

A lot of these 'pundits/commentators/reporters/analysts' are very guilty of contributing to ref abuse also.

How many times have lads on commentary derided a refs performance, and supporters use that as fuel added to their own sense of injustice..

And as for Sly Spurts and their 30 mins dedicated to going through incidences in games - "Ref Watch " ... fcuk off will yee ......

Spot on...

One that really stuck out to me recently was the disgraceful silence and couldn't care less attitude on commentary at the men's Wimbledon final when that toerag, Kyrgios spent the whole match arguing and antagonizing the umpire.

Wexford GAA have handed down the maximum 96-week suspension on the club mentor involved in an assault on referee Michael Lannigan and an umpire following a Junior A club football championship game.

96 week ban. Great..

have AGS investigated and decided to press charges?

Post edited by walshb on

Gardaí are investigating an incident in which a young boy was allegedly grabbed by the throat by an adult man during an U-9s hurling blitz in Co Tipperary on Saturday.

The boy was allegedly assaulted on the pitch while he was taking part in the blitz at Dr Morris Park, in Thurles, in front of his shocked mother and other parents.

Jonathan Cullen, a spokesman for the Tipperary GAA board, said his young son was taking part in the same event by Munster GAA. He said the alleged behaviour was “not something we would condone.”

“It’s not acceptable. It’s totally not what the GAA is supposed to be about.

"An under-nine hurling blitz should be an enjoyable day out,” he said.

“Obviously from a GAA point of view, we wouldn’t allow any inappropriate behaviour by an adult towards a juvenile,” he told the Irish Independent.

He said the boy did not require any medical attention.

“Obviously he was shaken which is understandable.”

Gardaí confirmed they are investigating the incident.

“Gardaí at Thurles were alerted shortly after 1pm on Saturday, October, 15, 2022, following an incident of alleged assault at a children's sports event in Thurles.

"Enquires in to the matter are ongoing. As the incident involves young persons An Garda Síochána will not be commenting further at this time,” the Garda Press Office said in a statement.

Officials from Munster GAA were not immediately available for comment on Sunday night.

• Advertisement

I’m not for a second saying that a ref doesn’t apply the rules fairly…..however ‘mouthing off’/verbal abuse towards a ref after a decision/free is awarded should result in the free being brought forward or moved to a more favourable position for scoring plus cards being dished out to played or mentors

Advertisement