Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

24 weeks to life ban depending on how the discipline committee made their decision etc

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Banned for life, and a few months in a cell too to boot.

The club should hang him out to dry, but I think we'll see pigs fly before that happens. An absolute coward going after an official like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

From what I've heard the guy who did it is well known for his behavior, and even had a nice nickname to go with it: psycho. So yeah the club absolutely have to beat responsibility for putting someone with form for this craic I'm charge of a children's team, and for letting him represent their club. As for the man himself, I wouldn't share a street with him. Jail. He walked out like he was going to start an engine or something, it's disturbing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Who's going to enforce that one? I wouldn't be turning that lunatic away at the turnstile when he rocks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

There was another incident in Tipperary last week. Does anyone have any details on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There are incidents around the country on a daily basis. More and more are getting noticed now because of the filming of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The GAA in Roscomon should open an investigation, suspend individuals without bias if necessary, but then their investigation should be adjourned and the civil authorities ie An Garda Siochana should investigate and punish any wrongdoing as appropriate

This guy shouldn't be allowed to hide behind being a GAA person for this alleged incident, the full rigours of the law of the land should come down on him as appropriate, and then let the GAA investigate/Punish as appropriate after the civil authorities have done with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's an assault & should be a straightforward conviction if prosecuted. That man needs to know what the inside of Castlerea Prison looks like, if he doesn't already. They can fire into the sun this bullshit of 'out of character'/'good clubman' etc etc at the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is there any footage of the slap or headbutt itself?

Videos I have seen have it cut out.

Might not be full story wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Absolutely disgraceful stuff, a lifetime ban and criminal prosecution completely warranted here.

People often bemoan the standard of referees in GAA, but it's not like they fall from the sky, incidents like this will only make people less inclined to put their name forward for what is already a thankless job, and the standard of officiating will regress further.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Should be zero tolerance on ref abuse of any kind and the abuse definition should be very low . Even the “ ffs ref”

this particular issue should be dealt with by gardai without any hesitation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anything I'm hearing is that it was totally unprovoked. I'm not sure if you are trying to justify the headbutt?

Not the full story? What could possibly have been cut out to justify that behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hahahah trying to find a way to potentially justify a headbutt where the camera didn’t show them for about 3 seconds. Ref must have some serious verbal skills to have provoked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭muddle84

In fairness, i'm guessing you heard that from the same whatsapp that half the country have got at this stage. He deserves everything he has coming for what he done to the ref. But that whatsapp is only hearsay. For all we know the lad has never done anything like this before, so i don't know how you can he has form for this stuff without knowing more outside the whatsapp message?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It is not just Roscommon, it is in every county. Within my own county, we had a u13 game, where it was clear the ref was not physically able to ref (he was over weight by about 8 stone) and was allowing marks when these were not supposed to be happening. Calling for fouls when they were not and then not giving them in others. I am not blaming the ref, as the County Board should have a bit of "cop on" and not have this guy ref or if they do, some proper training is given to him. I think they just can't get refs and so some guys are doing it when they should not.

So, it really is more than the abuse and comes down to the quality of refs/training provided, but even if decisions don't go your way that does not mean you beat the head of some guy trying to do his best.

This manager in Roscommon is in serious trouble if it goes to court and the club should also be made pay just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

100%. That thug needs to see the wrong side of a jail cell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Perplexed seeing the comments talking about bans. This is a straight up criminal assault and an extremely cowardly one at that. The man needs to go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’m sure we will all be hearing about what a stalwart of the community the guy who punched the ref and local priest etc will be rolling out the testimonies

evey club has at least 1 of these absolute gobshites though- usually people who were utter failures as play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Shank Williams

Fairly sure one thing we can all know for sure is that the guy who did this is a simple ****

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

You only have to listen to the chat in the background, No one seemed surprised by what had just happened.

Do you ref many games yourself?

Every club has someone likely to assault a referee? No they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im not trying justify sweet FA.

I'm just saying nothing official about what happened had come out yet. Nobody knows was it a smack or headbutt or what

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I've heard he manages many underage teams in the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anyone that goes to a match at the weekend I would say listen to the "supporters" around you, if you are close to the coaches, listen to them, if you can have a look around to look at the body language of those involved. I went to a match last weekend with my 10 year old, I was shocked by the conduct of both the supporters and management, so much so that I won't be bringing my 10 year old again. The aggression was shocking, now people can blame lock down for years and not being able to get to matches but people have to be held accountable for their actions, because this was a local club game I knew a lot of the people involved, these are professionals with important jobs who would never carry on like this outside of a match situation but think it's acceptable to do it just because it's a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,445 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have said it many times, GAA is a scummy sport from top to bottom. I played it, I've supported my club and county, but people should call it as it is and the fact is that it is a scummy sport that rewards and encourages behaviours that would see you banned in most other sports.

We train and encourage players to go out and kick, punch, spit and drag their opponent down by any means necessary. We teach them that anything goes as long as you win. Get in their face, let them know you are there, insult their dead relatives, do what ever it takes.

Then we wonder why that attitude is replicated by the management and the supporters?

GAA will never be anything more than parish bogball until it starts to demand more from its members.

As for the scumbag in this instance, the GAA can shove any ban up their hole, if they don't publicly demand criminal prosecution then they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Which do you think would be more acceptable smack? Headbutt? Sonic boom?

Do you think there is any situation in which the ref wasnt assaulted and hospitalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Had a GAA ref park his tasty hothatch car outside my house every weekend for two years (we live beside a park with a multitude of pitches). Got talking to him about the car which was similar to ours, as the conversation went on he apologised for parking outside the house (not a problem, its free for all residential street parking). He explained he was fearful of damage to the car in the carpark!! I thought it was overkill. Clearly not. 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Has the manager been arrested yet? Its not like they don't know who did it.

Or will the gaa try and deal with it internally.

Advertisement