Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭downtheroad

People use Revolut because of the excellent service they provide, the speed at which transfers can be made (immediate, not overnight) and also because everything is offered in 1 app and its users have absolutely no desire to set foot inside a bank branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

It's the idea that every single transaction i make is accounted for no matter how big or small that gets me. Whose business is it what i buy, where i buy it and when? It's all very Orwellian. And yet people seem perfectly happy to have their life documented and profiled in this manner. Personally, i've nothing to hide but i like my privacy.

Also, put €20 in your pocket and you're far less likely to spend your money on crap that you don't need or even particularly want. Exclusively tapping cards and phones creates a disconnect from what you're actually spending and a lack of respect for money or the cost of anything. If you operate cash only you're far more likely to question your potential purchase.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

I'm going to be the odd one out here and say - as a business owner who banks with one of the branches going cashless - I cannot WAIT to see the demise of cash!

If it even slightly reduces the number of idiots coming into pay bills thinking they can negotiate massive discounts because they're in possession of this mythical paper currency, bring it on! Not to mention the daily trips to lodge, the expense, the manual paper work tracking payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Could be the denise of your business too, but I wouldn't wish that on you or anyone.

Just be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

"Exclusively tapping cards and phones creates a disconnect from what you're actually spending and a lack of respect for money or the cost of anything. If you operate cash only you're far more likely to question your potential purchase."

I hold the opposite view to you on this. I tap all the time using Google Pay & by doing so I know exactly what I'm spending my money on. If I was using cash I would struggle to recall everything I spent the cash on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If a kid is 4 would you not buy them a toy?

You need to think about solutions, not problems!

Online vouchers for Smyths etc....cash is so 1980's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

What ever of closing branches, why are they trying to create a disconnect to their customers by removing ATMs? what actual service are Banks providing on a day to day basis that customers recognise them and later do other business with them? No banking service, no reason for customer to be a customer. I'd have thought the main banks could afford to have ATMs in service stations and Shops as exists now but they appear to mostly, if not all privately run. I'd be in favour of some of all services available, some branches in main locations, ATMs elsewhere with the customer option for TAP or cardless payments also, but all of one and no option for others leaves it wide open to be abused for service charges or being a single point of failure, power outage/data services down/DDOS?

The thing about card only services where there is no alternative is that small businesses may suffer in that they also pay a transaction for the "tap" or card/PIN machine, so for small amounts for small transactions if thats set at a minimum amount, prices can only go up, are you getting a service charge on both buyer and seller side every time? not with cash.

Post Offices can be chock a block with maybe one window open and Queues out the door,not much sense of customer service when the customer needs it in many instances. Ideal for ATMs inside locations and externally, I'd consider dropping my bank account if the PO provided an online alternative where I had physical access also, the main reason Im with the Bank I predominantly use now is they have an accessible Branch/Cash desk/multiple ATMs inside and outside, thats what a Bank is!

Do tourists cards work here, unless it's changed, I dont think US cardholders (tourists) have chip & PIN, even if they do, will they work? or might they prefer cash, rather than setting up APP services, they may be of an older generation too and mostly not want to be going that route, so impact on tourist spending?

Even in Dublin, I'm having ridiculous problems with a main mobile service provider and their data being intermittent, how can a person rely on that further afield?

Personally, I think there wont be a windfall for tipping or charities, I may tip in coins, I wont do by tapping or card payment, extra hassle and I dont know if the right people are getting it, thats possible with coinage too, but at least its visible to all the staff if there is a tip jar (not that Im a big believer it should be necessary). As for charities, I give fixed regular amounts I want records of, but I wont adhoc top that up by tapping or additional amounts, I'm inclined to think people will handover less than they have recently been inclined to. What next? beggers (not referring to charities) only accepting tap or chip in pin services?

I think, dont have all your eggs in one basket

I agree with the other person, people just TAP too easily and have no sense of what they are spending when they spend it, the samepeople wont even look at their account/records and have no sense or value of money or how they spend it. I've seen it and I belive it is widespread. It is possible to manage your money well and easily cashless, but most people dont do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do people have paperboys ?

Tap terminals are pretty common now in museums. Wouldn't know about the church cause I haven't been.

I got used to never using cash after living in London where ATMs have been disappearing for ages and some pubs/shops/markets are cashless now.

Personally I would rather still have the mix of the 2 but the "won't somebody think of the children/old people/tourists" brigade aren't helping running round preaching the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You maybe another who rarely darkens the door of their not so local post office! Personally I do indeed use bank transfers and PayPal etc as much as possible and encourage my customers to do likewise.

But........... I also use An Post services to deliver goods and therefore I visit post offices to buy their stamps and put parcels in their delivery system.

And frankly that's what An Post should stick to - delivering post and packages. They try to be community hubs and banks and all things to all people and they're just not up to it. I wouldn't go near any An Post financial services, as they are expensive and incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Yes. It is not just about banks going cashless. It is the endless destruction of services to people who mainly live in rural areas. It started about thirty years ago with the downgrading of hospitals eg Nenagh , Ennis etc and moving patients into overcrowded centres of excellence - like Limerick . That seems to working out well !

Then you had the closure of post offices ,Department of Agriculture offices and banks ( either reducing services or closing entirely )

Then you had the idiotic change to the drink driving legislation that has led to the closure of hundreds of rural pubs . All for what ?

If it keeps going as it is, people will sleep in rural Ireland and that will be all .

Wait until you have no alternative options, lets see if they start jacking up the rates

I'd have no issue with having Main Hospitals being centres of excellence, but the then former hospitals should be kept open as regional medical centres, where standard stuff can be done up to blood tests and X-rays and the Centres of excellence should be open late for a range of services with the main one (if more than one) in a region being open 24 for most services.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Only a matter of time before this is reversed. Government will remind bank of who bailed them out etc.

Well if the PO is the only one providing those services, what are people to do when the Banks versions are non existant.

Why cant there be a community service provider that provides all these, seems like a great opportunity for An Post to keep offices open with a range of services a community needs other than just posting letters or packages, between Credit Unions and Post offices, you'd think they have this sown up because the Banks dont want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its abundantly clear why AIB and every other bank is doing this. There is no money in cash services. It's a cost, not a profit opportunity. Hardly anyone used cash these days.

Funnily enough, moving cash services to the post office, which in turn might make them profitable (or at least less of a loss) could save them from closure.

In short though, if people want to retain any service, they need to use it.

They could already just jack up the rates on ATM use.

Or jack up what they charge companies to process cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

You'll own nothing and be happy.

You won't even be able to take your money out of a bank they'll own it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Move to cashless has been cancelled.

I suspect some new cash charges will be brought in

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Seems its not going to happen anyway... AIB are not going ahead making the branches cashless,

Dirty money wins for now but the days of cash are numbered.

• Advertisement

Jacking up charges on anything, Which will be much easier on cashless when there are no alternatives.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Only if the government is happy to get an EU exception and willing to pump more tax payers money into the banks. The world is moving on and cash is not part of it. Give it six months and most people will have converted in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

That all makes sense to me however i have a feeling Colin Hunt won't like aib to get a kicking in the Sunday papers.

Im reply to jim

I assume a load of people about to move bank made them cop on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I still see that as highly unlikely. People are inherently lazy and will bitch and moan before moving bank, especially the older generation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I live in Canada and rarely use cash anymore. I use my credit card, and for most transactions; paypass, or contactless payment. I never use debit cards. Credit cards make points, and debit are only that, and less safe all around.

Sure, we do keep cash in the house for some expenses, but few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

no one gives a damn about what the leftist media prints. Very few even read them these days.

The threat and the potential bad publicly seem to have worked for now at least.

Cashless will probably happen (already has in some places) but I doubt it will be till the vast majority of the population are from computer literate generations.

• Advertisement

Advertisement