Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB going cashless around Kerry.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Whatever about the banks internally losing the cash services, to remove the ATM machines too was just mind boggling to me.... I think this is where they ultimately got the peoples backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

I can safely say "cash" customers are the absolute worst payers and the most difficult customers. The sooner these guys have to work with modern, tracked payment methods like everyone else, the better

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Though I have issues with most of your post, the part about the idiotic changes to the drink driving laws is ridiculous. What was it for? To save lives!! Maybe go spout that **** to someone who has lost a family member due to to drink driving saying you prefer an extra 2 pint more than more people dying on the road.

If you decided to live out in the middle of nowhere and expect everything around you because you have chosen to stay there, then its on you! Why should someone else's taxes pay for you to have the same services in a town or city?

AIB are cowards for backing out. The conspiracy crap going on in this thread about internet going down, power cuts etc. The internet has never gone down around the world. Power has gone down but restored quickly. People under 60 are unlikely to use ATMs every day or every week even.

The tide was sped up with Covid and people learned to go cashless. If your phone is stolen there all but zero chance of breaking into your bank account. All frauds are done predominantly via social engineering. MFA (google it if you don't know what it is) is everywhere for security. If you lose your phone you can connect with revolut or N26 in other ways and on your laptop.

As for the privacy of what you spend. The is again ridiculous, you are on boards where you have accepted at minimum Strictly Necessary Cookies. If you use any social network they are way more intrusive and know more about you than you do. They can learn more from your Dunnes card spending habits than bank account. There was a famous case years ago from Walmart who were able to tell if you were pregnant before you were based on the change in your spending habits. See https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

I would guess a number of people here are complaining because they will lose out on nixers. Plenty of people doing them using well known financial apps as a separate bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think AIB and others probably learned something

We as a society are moving out from under the pandemic. Forcing a change now because people started to do things a little differently that was not obviously to anyone's immediate benefit was amazingly tone deaf. Plus the "tough luck" messaging pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I fully expect new cash handling fees to appear for aib customers in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I hear you, if you get a customer paying by card it's in your business account, and if their card is declined no sale. And you're not out of pocket

Fair enough, you're running a business and it's your lively hood. And you're entitled to run it your way.

I get what you're saying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

An Post have been busy closing post offices and shunting stand alone sub POs into small supermarkets etc.

If they were actually run competently, they could do a decent job of it. But too many management staff in An Post feeding off the tits of the taxpayer and who believe in doing as little as possible in as long a time as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Cash is not going away anytime soon, regardless of anyones individual view.

Here's the EUs take on the 'role of cash' in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think we haven't decided how we want to proceed as a nation and have said **** it and let the market and hubris decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its truly time for the implementation of public banking systems, we cant keep allowing vested interests run such a critical social need....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve no problem seeing businesses completely fall into the gutter when they have such a lack of empathy, understanding and instead exude such contempt for customers of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Excellent point, the citizens kept them in existence via bail outs when they made a balls of running themselves through absolutely catastrophic levels of incompetence and our thanks….? Cashless banks !?

...im not so sure it was incompetence there, as it was clearly largely intentional in what occurred....

I see where you're coming from, it's their own downfall of they loose good customers and make it all inclusive for a certain credit transaction.

I've noticed lot of the old hardware shop's that were around for decades and they had a good relationship with customers they're still standing. They knew about the customer being the most important person in the shop. and because they are family run as well as a few trustworthy locals working there too they built up a good customer trader relationship.

I prefer the old school dusty quirky shop's to the new clinical experience.

Mind you I do stop into woodies now and again lol

BOI probably sitting watching this and plotting what they can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You're only ever as good as your last customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just for me personally this is the biggest benefit of cash.

It helps you keep track of your expenses. Cash allows you to keep closer control of your spending, for example by preventing you from overspending.

And when I worked with money behind the bar counter this is the biggest myth

It’s fast. Banknotes and coins settle a payment instantly.

Might be different in other industries but if a pub is set up for it contactless is so much better.

From a small transaction point of view this couldn't be more wrong in my experience

It’s secure. Cash has proven to be secure in terms of cybercrime, fraud and counterfeiting. And, as it’s central bank money, it doesn’t entail financial risks for either the payer or the payee.

economist dan ariely has found that more cash transactions actually prevent more over spending, as we identify more with the transactions, i.e. we feel it more than cashless transactions, as theres an element of disconnection while engaging in cashless ones, i.e. we spend less during cash transactions....

• Advertisement

If someone in a nice part of rural Ireland wants to do a house swap to be near a cash bank then let me know. House comes with free noise and air pollution and neighbors. Lots and lots of anonymous neighbours. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

You are confusing me with other posters . I never mentioned the issue of the technology going down or losing the mobile . I don’t believe those to be factors .

What has caused this uproar is a gradual elimination of services, such elimination disproportionately affecting rural areas. These decisions are being made at a remove from those most affected. There are people who live in rural areas of this country who aren’t tech savvy and deal exclusively in cash . It is the only way they know . Even those that are well up on technology sometimes need the one to one interaction.

In relation to the changes to the drink driving legislation ; Again, these changes were made without any recourse to those affected or any scoping of their effects . Even Shane Ross in the Seanad ( in a debate on the then proposed changes ) could only produce figures ( for accidents caused by motorists with minimal if any impairment )that were years out of date . I’m not condoning drunk driving but the reality is that since the changes were made , rural people simply aren’t going to pubs . And yet another interaction is gone from rural life . Rural isolation is killing many more people than motorists with a few pints ever did .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Woohoo! Backlash! F**K yeah!

What a load of sht on the drunk driving. If people are so desperate to the point of death for a bit of interaction they can always go to the pub and not drink alcohol.

It's the attitude you need to get pissed to interact is the problem not the driving ban.

Pubs are closing in areas that don't require driving too. People have a more varied social life now and ATMs disappearing are not just a rural thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I got into the tap to pay thing during the COVID but will be back to withdrawing dirty filthy cash once more. To see people happily turn over their lives to soulless corporations makes me despair for the future.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think they should of announced phasing out of the cash services and pushing people towards the post office but it was just so abrupt that they were doing it in 8 weeks a time. I'm glad they reversed it but its just delaying the inevitable, cash is on the way out sooner or later

Where do you get your money from and who do you withdraw it from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone trying to justify drink driving in any way, shape or form can go find another forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

They rolled over a bit too easily there - half of me thinks this was a conspiracy orchestrated to boost Micheal Martin's popularity. See how he stood up to the nasty bankers and made them back down!

Makes me cringe seeing the locals on FB celebrating their "victory" of retaining the status quo i.e one bank in town with a monopoly, who will now ratchet up charges so you pay a fortune for cash transactions and ATM withdrawals.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement