Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Free Ammo

• 21-07-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Does anyone know who sells leads free ammo in Ireland, in particular for a .243?

Has anyone any experience with it here, from what I've seen there isn't much difference in performance for deer.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

You could give WildHunter a ring. They have a few different lead-free choices on their website, although I don't see anything in .243.

I don't really have an experience, but from I've seen and heard they seem to work just as well as lead, especially up to 300-400m. The caveat is they need to be going fast to get good expansion, so they're usually lighter grain bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ofearghp

Thanks spray_

I got in touch with Wildhunter and they don't have anything at the minute.

My options seems to be:

Federal 85gr from gunshop.ie

Sako 80gr from John Lambert

Fox 80gr from ersg.com imported from Scotland via an Irish Dealer.

They're a little pricier than normal bullets, but it seems to be a marginal cost compared to how much time you spend in the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

I noticed the same. They're at the top of the price range, so I won't be using them for target practice. 🙂

Hornady Outfitter uses GMX copper alloy bullets and seem to be a little closer to normal prices if you can find them.

I picked up a box of Federal Trophy Copper to see what they're like. They're listed in .243 on the RedMills website, but are showing out of stock. Might be worth a call based on the advertised price: https://redmillsoutdoorpursuits.ie/products/federal-premium-243-trophy-copper-85gr-bullets

Advertisement