Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony alpha a6000 recycling time between shots - recommendations

• 21-07-2022 10:11pm

Hi there,

I have a Sony a6000 alpha - a bargain with lens from Harvey Norman's a couple of years ago. The recycling time between focussing on single shots seems a bit long for action shots with a longer lens - would bumping up to the 6500 or A7 offer faster times because of faster processors or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it focussing causing the delay? what card are you using; could be write time to the card possibly?

Yes, it's slow to focus. It's a SanDisk card so should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you using AF-C? What lens are you using?

Newer Sony lenses use ultrasonic linear motors that are incredibly fast (and silent) at AF.

The A6000 is 8 years old at this stage. Not saying it's junk (I'm still happily using an 11 year old Nex 7 as my third camera, but the AF on it is so bad I only use and MF lens on it), but AF technology - particularly Sony's - has come really come on leaps and bounds in that time.

If I was going to upgrade, and AF performance was a major criteria, I'd be looking at the A6400 - much better AF than the A6500, and it comes with Real Time Tracking and both human and animal eye AF. Here's a detailed comparison: https://www.alphashooters.com/compare/sony-a6400-vs-a6500/#autofocus

If you're looking at full frame, don't bother with the ancient A7 or even the A7ii. AF is nothing to write home about. Go at least with the A7iii, where the benefits of the newer AF technology really start to become apparent (I have one and love it), although it doesn't have realtime tracking, or the A7iv which in many ways is second only to the mighty A1 in terms of AF.. You're talking about bigger money with these, but you could get a second hand A7iii for a good price. But don't underestimate the need for good lenses. Go with the newer Sonys or Tamrons for fast, accurate AF.

Thank you @Gregor Samsa - the A6400 could be the one. I need something the same size-ish. Love to get an A7iii but its bigger and pricier. Seen a few second-hand A7i and ii's kicking around shops in Dublin - never tempted. It was AF-C + E mount. Don't get me wrong, the A6000 is still a brilliant little camera and I'd probably not trade it in!

Advertisement