Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The people protesting might not have a college degree like the good folks in the posh parts of town but they were smart enough to know they were being lied to when a bus load of young men arrived last week instead of the women and children that were supposed to be coming to stay.

The reality is the Government haven't a clue how to handle this, a couple of hundred people a week are arriving here and there is no place to put them.

But these protests have thrown a curve ball at the Government they didn't see coming and we are only in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i thought there were women and children in ballymun no? what are there concerns anyway with the men?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Will you condemn the far left eco violence that left 70 police injured in Germany?

Pretty aggressive and intimidating don’t you think?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The concerns are nobody wants to see a large group of men arriving in their area and they certainly don't want to be mislead which is what happened in this case.

I mentioned it before on the thread that over 100 Ukrainians arrived in my area and the first we knew about it was the day they came so people are being put into communities without telling the people living there about it.

We were lucky in that it was women and children but if it was a group of young men it would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Here's the video that kicked off things in Ballymun last weekend. Men getting off a bus and being put in an office building on Ballymun Road.

There are now at least three DP centres along Ballymun Road within sight of one another.

https://twitter.com/RealMessageEire/status/1611438105818726402

• Advertisement

i mean like what are they worried the men will do in ballymun? anyone who knows the area would know that foreign men are the least of your worries in an area like that.

Are they though?

Think about it, these guys are coming from places where women are treated like dirt and videos have appeared over the last few months of them harassing young women in the areas where they are housed.

Local people have said this is going on in various places around the country where they are placed and an argument could be made its not true but its hard to say it didn't happen when video evidence is there for all to see.

Many have destroyed their documents to avoid being sent back but for some strange reason the Government lets them in, at present over 3000 people are here being housed and we have no idea who they are.

Whether a person is left or right on this issue we should all agree this is a ridiculous situation.

yeah it's a bit ridiculous, but to think the people of ballymun are somehow in danger from these men is also ridiculous if you ask me. if anything i'd say the men are more in danger rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The reason communities like Ballymun are vilified is because the more salubrious areas do not have to voice concerns about similar situations. So it is always going to be the less than grand areas that the spotlight is on.

As for labelling it Far Right, that seems to me to be the only strategy the Government or NGOs and other so called SJWs can think of at the moment to finger point at people's genuine concerns.

People are not being racist or Far Right IMV, I think they are totally fed up of being shat upon surreptitiously in the middle of the night with no recourse. Their fear is real, fear of having no voice, when others living in the same country will never have to put themselves out there to be labelled.

Thanks for that. I agree with almost all of it. Maybe it's my cheery disposition but I amn't as pessimistic about the possibility of the government changing course.

I think there's a chance.

Sinn Fein have a huge internal divide on the issue of immigration. Their woke supporters and party workers vs. their traditional supporters. It's almost two parties in one but they were covering over the cracks until this blew up. They can't quickly move their position on immigration.

There is a major political opportunity here for Leo. (Forget FF - as far as I can see they're now just a Micheal Martin vanity project).

If Leo appeals to that working/ lower middle class SF support with language about robust borders he could see a significant lift in polling numbers.

SF have a big vulnerability. It is there for someone to exploit. I've no idea if Leo is going to do it. But it certainly looks like an option.

• Advertisement

yes, like the East Wall crowd. Their own crowd murdered 2 foreigners there in recent times. I wouldn't be worried about bumping into foreigners in East Wall, more the local scumbags who are attacking and killing people.

I wouldn't call Ballymun neglected either, it has had something like a billion euros pumped into it over the last decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

remarkable how you can refute a stereotype for one group of people whilst espousing a stereotype for another group and all in a mere two sentences.

it's not a stereotype, ballymun is rough af. you mustn't be familiar with the area i lived beside it for years.

well I'll be moving around the corner from the East Wall centre in a few months so I'm totally ok with them being there doesn't bother me in the slightest. Anyone living in the real world and who knows Dublin knows that if you ever get any trouble in areas like that it'll be from the local scumbags not foreigners. I would have a preference over people from god knows where over locals who attack people going home from work and kill people yes, not rocket science.

I lightening branded the people who killed those foreigners as scum, god I'm so awful aren't I.

i just don't get why people care if these places are near them, especially if you live in a busy city with all walks of life anyway, I guess I'm a minority in thinking that way.

I imagine you typing these things in your club while sipping a glass of brandy and looking around for someone who'll listen to another story about your time in the army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe do an Atlas shrugged type deal where we immigrate to Iceland and leave Ireland to be repopulated by refugees.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'd take 10 Algerians for every 1 racist idiot in a swap deal, but it of course wouldn't be very fair on Algeria.

I doubt they'd go for it

i disdain scumbags who attack people, like the ones i mentioned, you mad yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Above article in last week's IT exemplifies the clandestine ways the leafy suburbs restrict potential immigrants. Far from celebrating diversity, they are restricting (State-backed) affordable housing in Dun Laoghaire to locals. Not happy with a mere 30% allocation, it reports "several councillors argued proportions should be reversed so the council allocates 70% of homes to locals." God forbid if ROG got ideas! And what's the reason for this apparent insularity? Well, one FG councillor reveals all: it's important that people who grew up in the area "have prioritisation." Oh? All of this is reported matter-of-factly and without any hint of the condescension or contempt oozing from articles re the working class opposing entry into their communities.

Yet there is no meaningful difference in intent between the shenanigans in Dun Laoghaire and the protests in working-class communities. Indeed, with their strained resources and existing poverty, Ballymun etc have much stronger grounds for disquiet. But how curious that it's a respectable view for locals to "have prioritisation" in Dun Laoghaire, but working-class communities are demonised as "far-right racists" for saying likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't want it both ways.i don't understand why any government needs to house those born outside the country.

• Advertisement

you realise pretty much all of the social housing in areas like ballymun and east wall are given to locals? the redeveloped fatima mansions were also only given to locals.

also how does your story in any way relate to people being temporarily housed in a travelodge?

am I unaffected if I'm going to be living beside one of these places? how will I be affected? what exactly are people on the receiving end of? how does having some people in a nearby hotel affect their lives at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'll never get the fantasy like views people have about certain groups, mainly non native groups. Do you think those Algerians would be anti racists or something? Do you think that they share your values? They likely don't, and likely hold far more hard line views than the likes of Justin Barret. For some reason though there's no issue with extreme views once they don't come from native communities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ah I see the fake far right stories of "A girl messaged me and told me she was harrassed by migrants" got to you. Some people enjoy reading them I guess.

If I'm walking through East Wall late at night, am I worried about some migrants or some of the local scummers who cause trouble? I think for 99% of people we know the answer.

Was the video from Killarney faked? Didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'd take my chances. It's highly likely that they're all much better people than the like of that little nazi scrote, Justin Barret.

Have a look at all the fake far right stories that they circulate, any of the high profile lads who do a great job of turning the public against themselves. Good luck. You'd think hundreds of these lads are out hassling women but it never gets reported to the guards, just to some far right lad lol

I do know loads of women who have been in holidays to similar countries and got harassed.

I don't think it's out landish, I do agree that a number of the "reports" are bullshit and tend to ignore them. I was asking about that particular one.

I just never understand after we made such a song and dance about being progressive, we want to import (and celebrate - Eid in Croke Park) such regressive cultures.

• Advertisement

i'm just wondering why you think the people of ballymun should be concerned about some men in a hotel, have you any idea why?

i'm discriminating and saying east wall and ballymun are rough and you're most likely going to get your head kicked in by a local and not a foreign person. regardless of this, most people in any area are good people, so i've no problem living in east wall or coolock where i lived previously, regardless of the "scrote" problems.

why do you think the people of ballymun should be worried about men in a hotel?

Advertisement