Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I imagine you typing these things in your club while sipping a glass of brandy and looking around for someone who'll listen to another story about your time in the army

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe do an Atlas shrugged type deal where we immigrate to Iceland and leave Ireland to be repopulated by refugees.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I'd take 10 Algerians for every 1 racist idiot in a swap deal, but it of course wouldn't be very fair on Algeria.

I doubt they'd go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i disdain scumbags who attack people, like the ones i mentioned, you mad yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Above article in last week's IT exemplifies the clandestine ways the leafy suburbs restrict potential immigrants. Far from celebrating diversity, they are restricting (State-backed) affordable housing in Dun Laoghaire to locals. Not happy with a mere 30% allocation, it reports "several councillors argued proportions should be reversed so the council allocates 70% of homes to locals." God forbid if ROG got ideas! And what's the reason for this apparent insularity? Well, one FG councillor reveals all: it's important that people who grew up in the area "have prioritisation." Oh? All of this is reported matter-of-factly and without any hint of the condescension or contempt oozing from articles re the working class opposing entry into their communities.

Yet there is no meaningful difference in intent between the shenanigans in Dun Laoghaire and the protests in working-class communities. Indeed, with their strained resources and existing poverty, Ballymun etc have much stronger grounds for disquiet. But how curious that it's a respectable view for locals to "have prioritisation" in Dun Laoghaire, but working-class communities are demonised as "far-right racists" for saying likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't want it both ways.i don't understand why any government needs to house those born outside the country.

you realise pretty much all of the social housing in areas like ballymun and east wall are given to locals? the redeveloped fatima mansions were also only given to locals.

also how does your story in any way relate to people being temporarily housed in a travelodge?

am I unaffected if I'm going to be living beside one of these places? how will I be affected? what exactly are people on the receiving end of? how does having some people in a nearby hotel affect their lives at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'll never get the fantasy like views people have about certain groups, mainly non native groups. Do you think those Algerians would be anti racists or something? Do you think that they share your values? They likely don't, and likely hold far more hard line views than the likes of Justin Barret. For some reason though there's no issue with extreme views once they don't come from native communities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ah I see the fake far right stories of "A girl messaged me and told me she was harrassed by migrants" got to you. Some people enjoy reading them I guess.

• Advertisement

If I'm walking through East Wall late at night, am I worried about some migrants or some of the local scummers who cause trouble? I think for 99% of people we know the answer.

Was the video from Killarney faked? Didn't know that

I'd take my chances. It's highly likely that they're all much better people than the like of that little nazi scrote, Justin Barret.

Have a look at all the fake far right stories that they circulate, any of the high profile lads who do a great job of turning the public against themselves. Good luck. You'd think hundreds of these lads are out hassling women but it never gets reported to the guards, just to some far right lad lol

I do know loads of women who have been in holidays to similar countries and got harassed.

I don't think it's out landish, I do agree that a number of the "reports" are bullshit and tend to ignore them. I was asking about that particular one.

I just never understand after we made such a song and dance about being progressive, we want to import (and celebrate - Eid in Croke Park) such regressive cultures.

i'm just wondering why you think the people of ballymun should be concerned about some men in a hotel, have you any idea why?

i'm discriminating and saying east wall and ballymun are rough and you're most likely going to get your head kicked in by a local and not a foreign person. regardless of this, most people in any area are good people, so i've no problem living in east wall or coolock where i lived previously, regardless of the "scrote" problems.

why do you think the people of ballymun should be worried about men in a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

As left-wing news outlets use reports of Ukrainians going home to see their doctors as an opportunity to criticize the Conservative government’s running of the NHS, others are asking why refugees are permitted to dash home for appointments in the first place...

I wonder if something similar is happening here.

the aisling murphy murder? wasn't he an EU citizen living in Ireland? i thought it was just "unvetted" georgians and albinos you were concerned with. do we need to be worried about them too?! i hate to break it to you but all 500 million EU citizens are entitled to move here any time they like.

so do we need checks on any foreign person moving into any area or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont understand that point of view.

If suddenly someone decided they didnt like you and your family in the neighbourhood and chanted outside your house how would that make you feel?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I wonder if something similar is happening here.

The answer is yes. Similar use patterns have been observed among immigrants and native populations use of the public health system in Ireland. The native population avail of public health services at far higher levels than immigrants -

The investigation of this paper reveals that immigrants born in countries other than the UK, and residing in Ireland, used GP and consultant-based healthcare at lower levels compared to native-born Irish people. Lower utilisation was not observed for UK-born respondents. This suggests that there may be forces which combine to influence the need, predisposition or access to healthcare amongst some groups of immigrants in Ireland. While the analysis has controlled for many of these predisposing, enabling and need differences between immigrants and natives, the wider literature points to other barriers in terms of discrimination, information gaps, informal networks and language, as well as cultural differences, that cannot be observed directly in the data available here.

The findings suggest that while migrant groups may have relatively lower interactions with the health system in Ireland, they also may be more vulnerable if they are less willing to use healthcare services or have less access to the healthcare system. To facilitate greater integration and prevent health inequalities arising from inequities in access to healthcare between migrants and the native population, further work to understand the reasons for these patterns is required. This work requires input from researchers, policymakers and those engaged in clinical practice.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S266662352100043X

This isn’t surprising considering one third of the population has a medical card, with the highest medical card coverage among the over 70’s demographic, and the highest proportion by percentage of the population by county of those with a medical card in the border counties, with the lowest proportion percentage of people with a medical card in Dublin -

The number of medical cards rose from 1,478,560 in 2009 to 1,574,507 in 2018, an increase of 6.5%.  In 2018, nearly one third (32.4%) of the population had a medical card.  

The number of GP visit cards in 2018 at 503,650 was more than four times higher than the number in 2009 of 98,325.  One in ten people had a GP visit card in 2018.  

The number of people on the drugs payment scheme dropped from 1,587,448 in 2009 to 1,290,634 in 2018, a drop of 24%.  

By 2018 just over a quarter (26.6%) of the population were in the drugs payment scheme.

There was an increase of 20% in the number of people on the long-term illness scheme between 2009 and 2018, with the numbers rising from 127,636 to 281,075.  About 6% of the populaiton were in the long-term illness scheme in 2018.

In 2019, 31.8% of the population had a medical card, compared with 32.6% in 2009.  The age groups with the highest medical card coverage were those aged 70 years and over at 74.6% followed by those aged 65-69 years at 43.2%.  The age groups with the lowest medical card coverage were those aged 25-34 years at 19.3% and 35-44 years at 22.1%.

About a third (3.0%) of the population had a medical card in 2017.  This proportion varied by region. The highest proportion with a medical card was in the Border region at 41.3% while the lowest was in Dublin at 26.6%.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-sdg3/irelandsunsdgs2019-reportonindicatorsforgoal3goodhealthandwell-being/healthcare/

In short - the public health system isn’t actually in shìt shape, the reason it’s under pressure from a few different directions is the same as it’s always been - providing healthcare for an elderly population demographic that’s increasing. It’s not immigrants or people receiving other forms of social welfare services are putting pressure on the public healthcare system, and that doesn’t jig with some people’s narrative who want to portray immigrants as putting pressure on the public health system when in reality they aren’t anywhere near it.

i doubt aisling's parents are stupid enough to think migrants = bad. give them more credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

You would definitely be wondering what you had been landed in.

You'd been promised a welcome, you'd read in your own language that you would be provided for, you'd read about own door accommodation after 4 months, you'd read about welfare and medical benefits that seemed unreal, people had been sending home pictures of themselves in their own rooms lying around getting paid and watching their own flat screen tv and if you were actually a genuine Ukrainian you'd have seen your main evening news explaining that people who went to Ireland got to live in a castle - complete with video of same.

I would very much like to know what the current expectations are of the people in the Hotel in Ballymun. Where do they expect to be next year. Is it worth it? What are they saying to relatives back home?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The fact that they’re in Government, is what gives politicians not just the right, but the responsibility to enforce and oversee that a policy is enforced. However you construe that, and it’s clear from your post that you haven’t the first notion about policy-making, is an entirely different matter.

Depriving people of healthcare on the basis of their legal status is not in the interests of public health. That’s why it’s as important that immigrants have access to healthcare as it is that the natives have access to healthcare, regardless of the fact that it is because of the healthcare provided that there is an increase in the elderly population who are in turn placing the increase in pressure on the healthcare system.

In order to meet that demand, while remaining competitive, Ireland has little choice but to continue to encourage immigrants from abroad to fill jobs in healthcare in order to continue to provide services at as little cost to the public purse as possible, services which are used primarily by the native population -

https://human-resources-health.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-4491-7-68

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think your logic is flawed. You say that to remain competitive Ireland has no choice but to continue to encourage immigrants from abroad to fill jobs in healthcare.

Is it not true that in an increasingly global health worker market, to remain competitive, Ireland needs to pay its healthcare workers more?

There are thousands of Irish healthcare workers in Australia, the Middle East, Canada etc who would be glad to work in Ireland if we paid them properly.

Bringing in immigrant healthcare workers specifically as you put “at as little cost to the public purse as possible”, to replace Irish healthcare workers who find they can’t afford a house, rent etc on their wages sounds exploitative and a very poor and cynical policy to me.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20470187.html

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The state should manufacturer it's own cathode ray tellies, just for foreigners

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Someone forgot to mention all the free prams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So to cut a long, long, winded story short. You don’t believe we could retain nurses and stop them from emigrating by paying them more.

Fine. No need to bring pterodactyls into it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement