Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Longstand14

This state does not take immigration control remotely serious, it never has. Even basic measures such as a specific number or contact to report illegal immigration for the public.

There are 1000s of illegals in this country, people who entered state illegally, failed IP applicants, people out of permissions. No follow up, nothing will be done. Even illegal's convicted of criminality don’t get deported. Look at the number of “enforced deportations” for the last year….17. Just under 20% of of all prisoners in the state are non Irish.

A lot of talk about our immigration/IP obligations under the UN, the US, Australia, Denmark, Poland etc all signed the same agreement. However, each country has an immigration system with checks and controls.

Post edited by Longstand14 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah why not put a limit on it, but i don't know how it can be applied. and if i'm understanding the situation correctly, i don't think it's possible to put a limit in place as we are signed up to conventions etc. that allow people to claim asylum here and then protocol has to be followed. there's also no easy way of getting rid of people quickly if they have no documents, you can't put them on planes with no passports etc.

i mean the UK thought brexit would solve their immigration problem but they're getting 10s of 1000s of them crossing the channel still, and they still have to hold them for a period of time.

maybe the gov should be building holding centres where people can be kept until they are processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭slay55

I think you’re doing an amazing job and credit to you. Let’s hope the groups get bigger and bigger !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Government and the do gooders still don’t get it.

Irish people don’t like being lied to and taken for fools by scam artists pretending they are fleeing a war.

Thats it. That’s basically the whole point of all this.

We are been taken for mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not JUST chanting.

Its chanting outside peoples homes to get the people out.

Do you not actually see that chanting "get them out" at peoples homes about the people living there actually loses you support?

Is someone stood outside the house where I live chanting "get them out" - of course I would feel intimidated. I would feel scared, sick to my stomach, terrified, worried.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Thanks for that. Come and support the locals. As of now there's

Clondalkin: Ibis roundabout tomorrow Monday 5pm

Ballymun: Opposite Lidl Wednesday 5pm

Finglas: Bargaintown Wednesday 5pm

East Wall: Wednesday 5pm

Funny enough your last few lines are accurately describing a lefty southsider colleague of mind who is outraged on twitter about the activities of the far right.

yes most of the people on reddit ireland appear to be totally against these protest and see the protesters as scumbags, as i'm sure you've noticed. it's a much younger demographic than here.

you'll get cheered on here because you're playing to the choir but you need to realise not everyone has the same opinion as you, boards.ie is a middle aged men with mostly the same views on everything echo chamber.

The guys giving protestors the finger obviously didn't feel "scared, sick to their stomach, terrified or worried".

That's a good question about how the chanting can be portrayed to the general public. Does it lose support?

The real answer is the one no one on your side wants to hear. On that day in Ballymun questions of good strategy didn't come in to it. Despite everything you need to tell yourselves, that wasn't a controlled or organised protest. The crowd chanted because that's what the crowd did.

I guarantee you would feel the same as I have just outlined if someone was outside your house chanting to get you and your family out. Its weird. You almost want to dehumanise these people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

people chanting out out out at people in hotels is what i'd call obnoxious, dangerous even

trust me they'll be delighted they got very much under the skin of a rereg boardsie

i don't get it though, as i've said i'll live beside the one in east wall soon enough. how is that going to affect my life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Gardai first. I'd get the hose at them next and then maybe a bat after that. I'd do a lot more than give them the finger and I'm not a violent person but I think that'd tip me over. I couldn't see myself just laughing it off.

Im genuinely interested in why someone would think it isnt intimidation.

Terry Pratchet

of course it's bloody intimidation, you're not talking to reasonable people here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Looking at the sign in that picture, it’s not clear what their problem is, looks like ‘Ballymun says no concerned parents’…

🤔

there were no concerned parents until some fordiners moved in

Im trying to have a reasonable civil discussion to tease it out. A lot of the problem in all these discussions are people talk at each other but dont listen to each other.

I'm genuinely interested to find out what the thought process is for thinking its not intimidation.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

People have hypocritical standards. Women are being intimidated on a daily basis for questioning whether women can have a penis and men can have a vagina. Death threats, doxxing and violence is all fine if it’s for the “right” reasons.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

There's been plenty of foreigners moved in and there were no protests?

Thats whataboutery that is nothing to do with anything in this discussion.

Lots of skirting around and whataboutery.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Those who don't understand where the protesters are coming from. Look at it this way.

How much money have you given to refugees?

Why don't you house refugees in your house?

"I don't have any money to donate."

"I don't have any room to take in a refugee"

"I've taken in a refugee, I don't have the space for any more"

"I rent and can't take in any refugees"

What you are saying is you do not have the resources to support the refugees. The country as a whole does not have the resources to support this level of refugees and more.

We don't have the houses for the people who already live here nevermind taking in more.

We don't have the health service capacity to support the people already here nevermind taking in more.

The only people who can possibly support the level of refugees we have now are homeowners and those with private healthcare/healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

See that’s how people know that protesters like yourself don’t represent them. People from areas like Ballymun can take a joke 😒

Let me just check if I'm getting through here.

Do you accept that, however you feel about the chanting in front of this centre in Ballymun, there wasn't anyone there you could take it up with. There was no one controlling the protest, no one there with a strategy you can be annoyed with.

No shadowy Right Wing actors leading the protestors.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

xxxxxxl threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gaelscoileanna were the perfect invention for the lefty middle class. They could all keep up the facade that gaelscoileanna were about supporting a language that they hadn't a word of, but understanding that the working and migrant classes do not send their children there.

All the benefits of private education but without the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Of course it's intimidation and it's also effective at getting in the news.

The protesters could stand outside the dail with every other ten-a-penny group and not make a ripple.

Being obnoxious gets you attention, sadly.

• Advertisement

Advertisement