Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If a party like Aoutu

You mean Aontú?

I actually like Peadar, he seems a fairly decent skin.

But no, they could offer to install free Guinness Taps in every house and they won't be making any considerable gains in any election.

Ireland is done with Catholic Conservatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

As well hes just getting himself in deeper, lets say you take over the lecture halls in a university from May onwards, are you in a position in September to then house the people you put in there and all the new ones that have come? Its exactly what they did with University accommodation last summer, I would say hes praying to make it until May when he can get his hands on those beds again nevermind he'll have to find somewhere for them to go once the summer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

But why can’t we do what the USA does? Do passport control at the boarding airport, not at the destination? That way we stop these people from countries not at war ( so far I have heard Botswana, Algeria, Georgia & Albania - who I think are looking to join the EU )from using up badly needed spaces for Ukrainians escaping a war?

USA only does that in Ireland for the past few years, most other countries flying to the US you do it when you get there. It would be massively expensive to have a group of Irish immigration officals in every airport that flies to Ireland just think of all the small regional airports that ryanair flies maybe one flight a day to Ireland from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's interesting to see how mainstream media & most politicians are treating the protests - start off by blaming 'right wingers', very briefly discuss a few legitimate locals concerns, then back to the 'far right' and how dangerous this is for society etc. Rinse & repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What ever legitimate concerns there is are certainly been hijacked by bad actors.

The people with legitimate concerns will tell you this too.

You just have to look at the state of what happened in Finglas this week, and other places previously.

They are calling for more information from governance, won't matter a jot, the weak minded put more credence in Whatsapp and Facebook Bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I disagree - seems to me that politicians and mainstream media are doing the hi jacking. They don't want to acknowledge the concerns of ordinary citizens because these have real meaning. Instead they paint a picture of the 'far right' bogymen to suit their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think to be honest the media are using the bad actors in an attempt to discredit the protesters.

The problem is that even a cursory look reveals the lie. The majority of those protesting are not far right, but ordinary citizens sick of their communities being told they must carry the burden again and again. All while those doing the telling get away with no load at all.

RTE are the state broadcaster, and will only report what the government want to be reported. Newspapers like The Irish Times are also extremely biased and agenda driven. The Kitty Holland debacle did them a lot of damage. More and more people now distrust legacy media, and their influence is waning by the day.

Ireland is a very small country. People can see for themselves fairly quickly the effects (good or bad) of significant immigration. They don't need the government, or anyone on the left or right telling them what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Agreed. The scum tagging along that are not from the area and are just there to hijack the protest for their own gains are annoying the regular folk who would like to have reasonable discourse with officials but because of these toe rags, the protest ends up nasty and associated with the far right. We see and hear the ludicrous conspiracy theories and we know that these far right scummers have started trying to infect the situation. It was nice to see Carey lifted. The other prominent types should be cleaning house in anticipation of an early knock on the door, according to recent reports saying more arrests were imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Sorry about the typo, my fault for not proof reading a post on a boards thread.

I think you are underestimating how a lot of people feel about the current situation in Ireland. A similar underestimation got Trump into power, I'm not sure what Catholic Conservatism has to do with anything. Unless of course you believe ordinary people genuinely concerned are ultra conservative or dare I say "Far Right".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’m beginning to think the drones over Dublin airport may be a protest over undocumented immigration.

What happens if someone who has destroyed their travel documents onboard expecting to land in Dublin is diverted to Belfast?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

27 people arrived from the USA to Ireland and asked for Asylum last year. Whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Meant to be freezing tonight, hopefully there's not too many out on the streets sleeping rough

The guys calling for violence and "burning people out" etc will be arrested. End of.

That said, a lot of the communities are worried as they're aware of the uptick in crime that has followed in other European countries with similar influxes.

They've genuine concerns based on data from elsewhere, and shouldn't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Another bus load of assulum seekers bussed in last night under the cover of darkness to a new dp centre next door to a school in Dublin 7 .Is there a media blackout on this latest carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Don't lots of people live near schools ? I have two within 200m of my house and I've never been Garda vetted, and am probably still young enough to be conscripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I've been trying very hard to understand why our politicians are so slow to change policy in the face of a breakdown of the immigration system and a revolt on the part of voters.

Some part of it could be the (self comforting) belief expressed by some here and also by Sara Carey today in the Indo "most people here are very much behind the refugee policy, despite the high cost."

I think it's something else though. Charlie Haughey would never have lost touch with the electorate this way in the first place and if he had he would have moved very quickly to correct it.

What we got from Leo this week was a very tentative toe in the water trying out the langage of robust borders and sending some home. Why so wary. Why so slow.

My theory: The relationship between our political class and Europe has degenerated in to something coercive and abusive. They have been robbed of confidence and need approval. Now that the time has come to do the sensible thing on immigration they lack the confidence, will or self belief to make changes that Europe would look down its nose at.

Leo's tentative steps are those of someone emerging from an abusive relationship and trying to rediscover the ability to make choices for themselves.

Hence the really puzzling delay in acting on immigration.

Look at todays announcement that we might remove some of the pull factor for immigrants by cutting back on welfare supports. Having adopted that principle could we then make proposals of our own for implementing it? No, we can only allow ourselves to do such a thing by looking for and mimicing examples of how it is done in other European countries.

According to sources who have seen the document, it states that “research suggests reducing or limiting the scope of Ireland’s offering would more greatly align our position with the overall approach being taken in other member states.” The “overall offering,” it goes on, “has more elements and is unlimited – different to some other EU member states”.

As to whether benefits or entitlements could change, O'Gorman said: “If it was a measure that was being adopted on a European-wide basis I think we endeavour to keep ourselves consistent with a pan-member state approach” – agreeing that it would need to be “broadly consistent” with approaches seen elsewhere.

Some ministers believe the renewal of the Temporary Protection directive in the spring may present an opportunity, especially if it was co-ordinated at a European level.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2023/02/04/it-feels-as-if-were-scrambling-and-other-people-are-setting-the-agenda/

Abuse victims emerging blinking in to the light. Anyone buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Our politicians are desperate to be seen as the best boys in class in Europe, hence just let them in with no planning. They would destroy the country without hesitation to get kudos from Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,827 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well that talk today by Harris of speeding up and tightening the asylum procedures is absolutely fine in my book. Contrary to what is suggested, those who don't like the idea of the protest marches would still have little or no issue with a stricter interpretation of the current asylum processes or with people being deported who have no legal right to claim asylum here. Nobody wants to see the system being abused by people who are not eligible to claim asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do you know why Peadar Toibin was forced out of Sinn Fein?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We are around a year into the war! how many are housed in Dublin 4 and 6 etc? "we dont get to choose our neighbours" or words to that effect is what they said, well, isnt it interesting, that the holier than thou decision makers, arent locating these asylum seekrs and ukrainians in their own areas? the same with the travellers, any media channel they are on "great bunch of lads" , again, dont have them within miles of them... what am i missing?

Am I the only one whos cynical about them actually speeding up the process. Unless you get rid of JR for asylum decisions, even if you somehow shorten the waiting time for initial decisions, you're not going to actually get through claims any faster.

Can anyone see Simon Harris actually making a decision to kick someone out of the country if theres a petition/media attention on an individual case? People who have been in DP for years know exactly how to get to stay.

From reading this article, when someone has a negative decision against them and is denied leave to remain, they're no longer considered as asylum seeker under Irish law but for some reason yer man is still living in DP. Stop providing people shelter and pocket money and I would say they would self deport much quicker https://dublininquirer.com/2022/10/19/people-whose-asylum-claims-have-been-rejected-and-turn-to-the-courts-for-help-face-familiar-delays

Does anyone else think this could actually backfire on the Irish politicans hoping for a bualadh bos like if we're the first in Europe who has to say "no more Ukranians" they're going to look awful. That letter to the editor of the IT was right that Roderick wanted to be the one to end DP so he could get eternal liberal praise but hes basically ensured that DP won't be going anywhere for the forseeable and that there will be massive objections if they ever get around to building their massive recepetion centres

But it is also reported that most people who have a deportation order issued against them leave the country voluntarily and are not physically removed from the state (Which means we should be careful when talking about about deportation statistics.....deportation refers to someone who has been frogmarched onto a plane and is accompanied by Gardai).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think it's quite that. I do think however that the Irish government has done a number of side deals and has gone all in on following a euronorm policy approach for two reasons:

It was trying to build alliances to protect the corporate tax offering. That held for years but has failed now.

It needed other EU countries on side for Brexit. Despite all the warm words, the solidarity wasn't free - we should not kid ourselves in that regard.

To negotiate opt outs and then not exercise them makes absolutely no sense unless seen in the context of a bigger policy agenda.

Ireland is mostly a self deporting State there are very few enforced deportations, I'm well aware of that but also most people with deportation orders against them do not self deport or are not forcefully deported, they generally brazen it out and get to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Any links for that?

I was thinking about the 40% of asylum seekers arriving with no paperwork, and those saying they couldn’t be sent back on a plane if they have no passport...

I was wondering about someone with a deportation order against them having no passport and if they can be deported after living here for a while and application being denied - whether they arrived with no passport, or it expired during their stay here or they subsequently “lost” it during their time here... there’s a report here of someone in Germany who was denied asylum and becasue he had no passport, he can’t be deported. Bonkers stuff!

If 40% of our asylum seekers enter the country with no paperwork, nevermind those that will conveniently have it “stolen” it when it suits, I really think the vast vast majority of them are here to stay. They know all the tricks.

Advertisement