Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That's right and they have 1 TD. And judging by the sort of candidates they sent out last time will never have more than one! Although if you're into protesting against abortion outside maternity hospitals or getting on your knees and shouting out the rosary then they're the bees knee's of a party!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

But but the meedja. Well the meedja are doing themselves absolutely no favours. The IT this weekend must have close to 10 articles where they go all in on blaming the far right, but little of way of engaging with the protesters. In any case I'm not sure why they're bothering - from polling it seems that they are largely preaching to the converted anyway. Maybe they think it's soothing to their readers to protect them from the reality of the now seemingly majority opinion.

As I pointed out, do you think everyone that attended a water charges protest was a communist, or a repeal march a radical feminist? People will attend for their own reasons (of which some attending will be nefarious) and polling shows that the largest group of people think these are local concerns not far right agitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We didn't close the airports.

Over 3 million passengers used Dublin airport between March and December 2020.

Significantly down but by no means closed.

Tóibín actually wanted to stop international travel particularly at the start from Italy, something I fundamentally agreed with.

By all means please link to these offensive articles and I will gladly take a look.

Yawnnnnnnn.....

Yeah, we have no accommodation left, but let's keep flooding in more and more migrants and have them sleep in sports halls, community centres, churches... anywhere, really. Don't worry; the only problem is the "far-roysh" who complain about it 🙄

You sound like that empty virtue signaller Michael D. Higgins, lol. Clueless.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou McDonald on This Week “We would ensure that we listened to proposals like those that came from the Irish Refugee Council now for months and months around the use of holiday home accommodation. We would listen to communities.”

Are SF proposing to commandeer private property to house migrants? If they are not, I can't see how this differs from current policy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If things keep going on the same, out of control, trajectory and more political parties opposed to it get organised, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them gain in the next local elections.

You have to remember that voting is done in private. The poll today was private and the result speaks for itself. Many, many people are not speaking out publicly due to the fact that some big mouth, without proper reason, starts screaming“racist bigot” at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

Didn't listen to the programme but from reading the quotes in this article from it, she sounds like she doesn't know what way to come down on this and is trying to be all things to all people. People are angry with the Government but part of that anger is that they let too many people in and don't deport people, her party just seems in favour of suggesting building but then also local members opposing building, like from what shes saying SF would house everyone who came here indefinitely

"Ms McDonald blamed a “very small fringe” for whipping up anger against refugees, adding that it should be directed against the Government.

“We have a situation where the Government have really handled so many situations so badly, we’ve had a housing emergency for many years, lots of people across Irish society have direct experience of this crisis, they’re living in overcrowded circumstances, they’re paying exorbitant rents, if they can get a place to rent, and they have had Government inaction,” she told RTÉ radio’s The Week.

“There is huge frustration and anger, actually, I think sometimes people haven’t been angry enough with Government on that issue.

“We need a Government with a plan for housing, social development and regeneration, and we also need to have a clearheaded view from Irish people in apportioning blame where it rightly lies, and it does not lay at the feet of any refugee, anybody seeking asylum in this country.”

Also quoted in that article Green senator and Minister for State Pippa Hackett says theres loads of space and we can take another 76k. Would love to know where shes getting that from, haven't all the Government briefings been saying theres going to be major bed shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

You are right we didn't. The Soc Dems would have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,827 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd be interested to hear what way the 56% who say that Ireland has 'taken in too many refugees in the last year' has impacted on them personally.

What specific negative events have occurred in their own lives as a result of the increased refugee numbers? Large numbers of towns and urban suburbs in the country don't even have a direct provision centre or a hotel containing refugees. Are they just opposed to the 'idea' in principle with no personal experience of the phenomenon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Local elections less than a year and a half away. Do you think it is possible for such parties to get up and running in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It could be something simple as people not happy their taxes are being used to house and feed scam artists.

People don’t like being taken for fools.

Imagine that ay….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,827 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's fair enough, but one imagines that people are much more likely to be directly impacted by things like the housing crisis and the hospital waiting lists (or to have close relatives and friends who are). The whole refugee thing seems a good bit more abstract and remote from people's lives, given that around 13,000 non-Ukrainian asylum seekers entered the country last year.

And there has been marches on those issues also.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

I assume the poll is done by ringing people up and I'm sure some percentage of people (I imagine a fair amount who just said they didn't know or were undecided on things) would feel judged if they told a pollster there are too many asylum seekers in the country. The ballot box is truely private though, thats when you really get peoples unashamed opinions

I don't think parties will have time to get up and running at a national level but I would say that we will see a load more independents elected especially in areas that have taken a lot of asylum seekers/ukranians

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

most people are not affected by the housing or hospitals crises either but most know people who are and are aware it might affect them personally sometime in the future.

Same with the migrant crisis. The current government policy of bringing in large numbers with little planning is insane, it is to be expected most people would be against that.

Wow that sounds like a solid basis for a new Ireland

Id argue the same on abortion, and we had a referendum on it and people still discount parties and people based on their views of it.

People can care about housing and health and other things.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,490 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The thread topic is the accommodation of non-Ukrainian refugees and the impact that has on the accommodation of Ukrainian refugees. We have two other threads discussing Government policy on Ukrainian refugees and whether Ireland should adopt a zero refugee policy. We do not have one on Same Sex Marriage but that is not an excuse to bring it up here

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement

And so would the "party" you are advocating for.

🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This issue is a real dilemma for Sinn Féin - look at that poll, 61% of people who identify as SF voters/ supporters think there are too many refugees. And yet their leader or president also identifies with the policy of taking as many as possible. I think they'll have to modify their position very quickly and we'll see a shift to support for Ukrainian women & children & elderly but that non Ukrainians and Ukrainian men of service age will have to be stopped at the border entry and sent back. That's a more sustainable position and would relieve accommodation stress a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Looking at the survey poll in the indo 90% of Aontu supporters believe we have too many refugees but are Peadar Toibin and Aontu capable of standing up against all this crazy policy of government , oposition parties and media. I believe if Aontu set out there policy against current crazy refugee policy they could gain strong foothold with many of the potential electrate in the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's an interesting characterisation of the Irish citizen - going by the poll today 56% of us must be either weak minded or far right nutters??

Then that pipsqueak in the Aras starts lecturing us and to think I voted for our local Labour candidate in recent elections.

The times they are a changin'

Lads, try having a life. Honestly, it's pretty good. Buy a house, have friends and family that you care about. Hobbies are good, though I'd frown on rugby. Walks in the local park that you can enjoy. I mean, it's all there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It does blow my mind a bit that some lads totally live in this headspace 24/7. The lads on the right whose whole lifes purpose is to attack migrants and "woke" people in particular and they make a few quid out of it at this stage I suppose. Constantly in some battle mode mentality. As a "woke" person I'm just hoping for equality and being fair and understanding and inclusive with people. I'm not on some hateful agenda where I'm actively excluding people and looking for some kind of combative situation. My initial mentality is to always take the person as an individual and just as fair as possible. The right seem to revel in totally misrepresenting a post (just check out the replies to this one) and then going on a long diatribe about some weird anti migrant stuff. It's just odd to live in that headspace to me. My headspace is just a pleasant experience for me. I wouldn't be happy living in what is essentially a war against "genocide of the irish" etc, in my head. Crazy conspiracy loon conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear hear, although in describing them I would not be as diplomatic as you. Mean spirited racists is how most of us see them.

I can't tell between reality and satire anymore. The problem is for many working people is that they can't buy a house because they are being financially strangled with rent. Having a family of their own is a distant pipe dream in this country. Everything is expensive. It's these pressures really are the fuel for this and it's the refugee crisis that's only the spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I saw Hackett on ‘the Week in Politics’. She seemed totally lost. she hadn’t a clue against Murphy.

• Advertisement

You’re describing 61% of your parties voters views.

Awkward…

Advertisement