Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

Thought fellow Green Pippa Hackett said last week that there was no problems with capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've heard lots of people say over the years they wouldn't mind it

Jesus, how catastrophic and empty must those people lives be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I wouldn’t have minded it when I was a student myself. Should’ve seen the first flat I lived in with my friend where we had to share a bedroom. Had to pay for the privilege too!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Three meals a day, a roof over your head, no utility bills, free medical care, free transport and net 150e p.w. pocket money plus the option to work up to 20 hours a week tax free.

Sure where would ya get it.

Ungrateful shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Government sources said that O’Gorman’s plea for urgent help could be “difficult to meet” as buildings that have been identified already by some departments are either not appropriate or not available.

I wonder what the benchmark for appropriate is, beyond four walls and a roof? How likely is a government building to be suitable for residential purposes, beyond just keeping the 'residents' out of the rain in an emergency?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I know this poster is banned, and I know this was over a month ago, but a fully sold out French allocation of 5-and-a-half thousand at the Aviva today.

How many times are posters like these ones going to get things so catastophically wrong just to fuel their hate-filled agendas?

19 people who liked the post can all hold their hands up and say that this was incorrect and, indeed, fearmongering.

If that's what you aspire to, good for you.

You can always live that dream too, declare yourself homeless.

Let us know how you get on. 👍️

Is that the best you can come up with?

Typical deflective answer from you when you know I'm right.

These "refugees" have unfettered access to welfare and services while Irish people who worked and payed taxes all their lives have to fight tooth and nail for anything from the state.

We owe these people nothing as we are supposed to be a neutral country, are not members of NATO and they are not EU citizens.

Their ingratitude is startling but sure they're all saints according to the govt and NGO's and we must do more.

These "refugees" have unfettered access to welfare and services while Irish people who worked and payed taxes all their lives have to fight tooth and nail for anything from the state

You mean asylum seekers? No they don't.

But like I said you could live the dream too.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about asylum seekers..i'm talking about Ukrainian refugees and yes they do.

And debate the post not attack the poster as you know nothing of my aspirations.

Another TD who didn't have anything to say about this until it was obvious it would cost her votes to do so. Repeating what Mary Lou said last week that its the Governments fault (which it is) but nothing about what SF would do differently

"Sinn Féin TD Sorca Clarke said the “vast majority” of residents’ concerns were fair, and “genuine questions are being ignored.”

She said the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) was understaffed and accused the government of failing to address the shortage.

“There are absolute frustrations within communities the length and breadth of this country. They are well-founded frustrations.

“We have a very small number of people who are in that negative political space. What many people are objecting to is the fact that their government simply aren’t hearing what they’re saying.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very good point on radio this morning. O'Gorman has been thrown under a bus by FFG in relation to housing refugees and asylum seekers.

Why would you give this massive job to a new TD and Minister in the small coalition partner? Aren't there plenty of FG TDs with ministerial experience who could take this role? The 2 Simons have feck all to do for example but both of them would point blank refuse it. FG need to own it. It appears he isn't getting much support from his coalition partners either. If Ryan had any cop on he would not allow this to happen. It reminds me of when Trickle Hogan handed the Irish Water superquango mess to Labour's Alan Kelly.

Sending Regina Doherty out yesterday to criticise both sides on this was cowardly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

O'Gorman wanted the role and he has to own the massive balls up he has made of it.

Link? He was already busy enough with the Mother and Baby home mess including the Tuam babies.

Link to what?

He took the job… are you saying poor Rodders was forced into it?

At least reply to my post so I know you replied.

Now, you said "O'Gorman wanted the role"

Prove it sunshine.

He took it ergo he wanted it unless you are going to claim he was forced to take it by nasty FFG?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Usual RTE coverage casually describing Irish people as "anti immigrant" when Irish people are anti our govmt's immigration policy.

If O'Gorman was doing something FG/FF/Brussells did not approve of they'd stop him dead. As for poor Roderick being swamped under, how well he's still finding time to bring forward new gender education for primary school children.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ. That's your proof? Ergo 😂

I am already discussing this on another thread so I am going to repeat a post from there.

----------

Aragh Fine Gael promised to end direct provision in both the 2016 and 2020 general elections. They also created the housing disaster and have been in power for 12 years. How was an inexperienced Green TD given this role? A normal company would not give a major project to a junior newbie.

Aren't his decisions implicitly approved by cabinet and the 2 clueless taoisigh? Where has Michael and Leo disagreed with his policy? Why havent they replaced him with someone more competent?

Let's be a bit adult about all this. None of the Greens should have this role.

FF TDs have Health, Housing and Finance and they are struggling in the first two bigtime. Time for FG TDs to step up. They just want portfolios that make them look good. Useless.

The likes of Doherty and Ring giving out about O'Gorman on the airwaves this weekend - oh **** off you cowardly gombeens. Zero honour in that. Just populist BS.

And I do not vote Green!

I would give it to one of the following experienced TDs.

Simon Coveney

Simon Harris

Paschal Donohue

Heather Humphreys

Josepha Madigan

Patrick O'Donovan

Martin Heydon

Even Richard Bruton.

----------------

Try the Quote button if you want a faster response.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is whataboutery though. Fact is the Green Party accepted the portfolio and have abjectly failed.

It doesn't really matter at this point as the Greens will be slaughtered at the next election anyway and not just for this sh!tshow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Stick to the topic of this thread, there have been several such mod notes on this thread that are being routinely ignored by a select few posters to this will be the final one.

Dragging the thread off topic = threadban

No it's not. That's a very simplistic argument. Having O'Gorman in charge is not set in stone. Leo can change his cabinet at any time. We had 4 FF ministers for Agriculture during the first 2 months of this govt.

Admit the mistake and move on. Put a senior FG member in there. Own it.

It's not about the Greens getting destroyed at the next election either. They will be destroyed but who cares at that point. We don't need an "I told you so" moment for something so important. The country comes first, not Green electoral prospects or O'Gorman's reputation. Irrelevant.

For example he wrote to his cabinet colleagues.

No offers of accommodation following O'Gorman appeal (rte.ie)

No offers of refugee accommodation following O'Gorman appeal

-----------

Feck that letter shiit. You want an experienced minister who will knock head together. Pick up the phone, raise hell in cabinet etc. Truth is, none of the FG posers will go near this.

We need action now. Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sympathy for O'Gorman?

Wasn't it his Dept / him who sent the translated documents to Georgia / Albania, etc., promising own-door accomm for AS within four months of arrival?

He caused this mess, by inviting bogus AS to arrive here.

I have zero sympathy for O'Gorman. Get him out, get a senior FG TD in. O'Gorman isn't up to the job.

However I am not naive enough to allow backbench FG TDs use him as a scapegoat and let him take all the heat. Nasty politics. Let the FG cowards front up for this one and let's see what happens.

Get O'Gorman out and put one of the list in charge.

""You’ve got the guts of about 11,500 to 12,000 people in pledged accommodation at the moment and the idea is to try and bring that right up further to 15,000-16,000 if possible."

Speaking on RTÉ’s Today with Philip Boucher Hayes, Mr O’Dwyer said that modular housing, the renovation of older buildings by the Office of Public Works and the local authority vacant house scheme are providing more accommodation opportunities."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

The soon to be developed Mahon modular homes are on public land in the town. Land that was earmarked for public housing for the people of Mahon . Not anymore but sure let them wait another few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

O' Gorman always has the option as the minister responsible to say, 'that he recommends Ireland withdraw from the voluntary re-settlement program it has agreed to participate in with the EU and we will no longer be processing asylum requests from Ukrainians for a set period of time, sorry, we're full. In the meantime the focus of the department will be on clearing application backlogs and removing failed applicants to ensure the space for genuine refugees is available. If you don't care for my recommendation you can have my resignation'.

He could do that, but he won't, and thus if he's been thrown under any bus he's there voluntarily.

Advertisement