Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about accommodation of non Ukrainian refugees and it's impact on accommodation for Ukrainian refugees. It's not to discuss vehicle taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

My home village has a closed hotel and a house across the road that are accomodating non Ukrainian asylum seekers. The old school was bought at auction last year and works are underway to turn it into accommodation for asylum seekers or refugees. There is another old building at the top of the town, an unfinished Celtic tiger eye sore that is also rumoured to have been bought up for the same purpose.

It's a small village of about 400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

As others have said in this thread, who cares about the far right prostestors?

The point is that the majority of the population, according to the polls, are against the current immigration policy.

71% of people want an immigration cap inroduced & that rises to 81% for SF voters!

Thats what the govt and the left wing should take on board, but they strawman the argument by focusing only on the tiny minority of far right extremists, conveniently ignoring the fact that the majority of the population dont and will never hurl abuse at immigrants, but they DO want to see some controls put in place that restrict the numbers entering the country.

The streotyping of anyone that doesnt welcome unrestricted immigration with open arms by the left is childish and short sighted.

Its like saying everyone that walks up or down Oconnell Street in the morning is a junkie.

1% probably are. But thats it.

1% of people opposed to immigration are far right extremist. But thats it.

Heads up for the govt...maybe focus on the relativley silent 99% that see issue with the current immigration policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yes i am aware everyone wants new immigration laws, i was just giving out about the idiots holding up traffic etc who aren't really achieving anything if you ask me, they just seem to be xenophobes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

They probably became economic migrants and emigrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

O'Gorman on Anton show this morning about the new accommodations being rolled out, even on this softest pre-recorded interview he came across as frustrated and mildly aggressive. Followed the script of blaming the 1% while ignoring that 84% don't agree with the govmt's immigration policy. The interview did make clear how desperate the govmt are for Catherine Martin's Online act to come into effect so that we are all kept "safe" ;-)

It's hilarious how much Roderick O'Gorman triggers people of a certain persuasion :)

You know you're doing the job right when those people are getting triggered constantly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

You must be completely simple if you think he is doing the job right. I'd hate to see what it would look like if he was doing the job wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Keep em coming..sure we're a great country.

Foreigner commits crime. I remember when I lived in Australia there were a number of different crimes involving Irish people but I don't remember the Aussies branding all foreigners as bad, which is what you're trying to do here. One was a stabbing in a hostel by an Irish bloke. Unless we shut ourselves out to the outside world NK style there'll always be foreigners here, and some will commit crimes. That's the way of the world.

• Advertisement

Ah whataboutery the last refuge of the defeated.

I didn't brand all foreigners as bad.

I'm highlighting the fact that Ukrainians can drive to Ireland through several safe countries from a supposed war zone and drive on Irish roads in vehicles that require no NCT, tax or insurance.

I'm sure the family of the man killed will be delighted that an Irish bloke allegedly stabbed someone in a hostel so that makes it okay in your eyes as just the way of the world.

I really do despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Agree with you here.

What a nonsense statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is that true Ukrainians can drive here with no insurance?

I'm not sure but there were already something like 200,000 uninsured cars driving on our roads before the war

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It just seems a bit strange that people who are used to driving on the other side of the road are just let drive all around the place, like what happens if they hit someone?

With no insurance and no money its the innocent party that foots the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I heard the O'Gorman interview with Anton. The guy is incapable of answering the most basic of questions and completely unable for the job he has landed in. He'll be gone soon enough thankfully.

Fortunately, the countries' complete ineptitude at providing accomodation will limit the number of asylum seekers setting up shop here. That and the hotel Industry getting a sniff of a tourist season to fleece. They'll dump the refugees out on their ear to flog us the staycations we apparently crave

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

what stood out for me on that interview yesterday with Anton Savage and O Gorman was the tired "far right" line that was rolled out over and over and over again. Each and every protestor, whether they are a grandparent, parent, sibling, concerned citizen was labelled yesterday as Far Right. End of.

Anton Savage at no stage tried to add a bit of balance and say not all protestors are "Far Right". Does Anton have any daughters, does he have sisters, does he have grand daughters? I have all of the above. I am here in Kerry, not protected in some salubrious D4 area that takes in no asylum seekers as they conveniently don't have room.

Its beyond belief how delusional both Anton Savage and Roderic O Gorman are if they believe anyone out there who is worried about the face of Ireland changing, and where crowds of single men are being housed, is Far Right!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. The law is every driver has to have insurance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

That is a bit like saying that Trump was doing a great job as president because he upset all those who cared about the direction he was taking the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭minimary

The examiner saying basically its inevitable that tourism hotspots that ended up housing a lot of asylum seekers should be compensated its just a matter of working out how much that should be. I know a number of businesses relying on tourism local to me that have closed, the cost of repaying for all the tourism lost will be multiples of what they are spending on accommodation, this is unsustainable

"The case for compensation is inevitable, although the formula for delivering this mitigation may be more difficult to find given the number of individual businesses which benefit from interaction with tourists. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure tanking the tourist industry is grand. Let the greens ruin farming too. We are going to ride the wave of MNC profits forever and don't need to plan for anything else as why would we!

Post edited by batman_oh on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I watched the Tommy Tiernan interview with a Ukrainian lady last night. She was impressive. I looked up social media to see if others thought so too. Ha ha, of course not. Wall to wall cranks referring to her being a multi-millionaire and saying that she was a fake refugee. Very specifically a net worth of $13m kept being mentioned. This didn't make any sense to me. She said in the interview that she was working 3 jobs in Ireland so that she could send money to her family living near Kherson (a city that was occupied for 8 months and is still under constant Russian bombardment, for what it's worth).

I did a bit of searching and the source for that figure seems to be one of those net worth websites. The thing is, that site gave absolutely no source. No workings. No calculations. Just a number. Not only that but I then looked up another one of those sites and that one didn't have $13m. It had $100k-$1m. In other words people don't have a bulls notion but have gone with the highest number because that suits their narrative.

So we have a scenario where a woman goes on TV and pours her heart out about the nightmare that herself and her family have been living through for the past year, while she works her ass off to try and help them out. In reaction the begrudgers concoct a story that doesn't stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny (would someone worth $13m really be living with other refugees in Athlone while working for Bluebird home care?). It's like in their wild fever dreams all sense of logic and reason goes out the window. Sickening stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear hear! One good thing about immigration/vaccination issues is that social media allows all the dee walls,Ben gilroy,Tommy Robinson nuttypes to be coralled into one group ,a sort of nutjobs central.

i mean even if she was loaded does that mean she can't be a refugee? don't get the logic from the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You got any link or proof that she is workinyg 3 jobs ? This looks suspect to me .!

The far right types make up and push fake stories. That's part and parcel of what they do. It just feels so good to demonise migrants so they don't care if the stories are true or not. It's finally getting to a point where people who were taken in regularly by these scumbags fake stories are questioning every story they put out because it's most likely false.

• Advertisement

She's working three jobs. (within welfare limits so she can collect her payment and all the trimmings)

So why isn't she funding her own accommodation instead of being housed and fed courtesy of the Irish taxpayer in a hotel.

Because she's sending it back to Ukraine while the hard pressed Irish taxpayer foots the bill and the virtue signallers get to say how we great we are and the country goes down the tubes.

Advertisement