Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The f*ck are you on about?

A refugee has been granted asylum. They are legally allowed to stay here.

’Illegal’ refugees is what idiots use to try to delegitimise that, by comparing some people with the legal allowance to stay here to other people who are also legally allowed to stay here. Why? You’d have to ask them, but there’s usually something behind it.

There is no such thing as an illegal refugee. None. Zero.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No your are correct there is only one reason someone would destroy their documentation. You cannot board a plan as a none EU citizen without documentation. It's a simple fact End of. Mr Varadkars ludicrous suggestion some places don't check documents was highly amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

An ESTA type system where non-EEA (or from certain non-EEA countries) must submit both their travel documentation online and biometric photos (can be captured at check-in) which are double checked before boarding by the airline would root this problem right out.

Expensive up-front cost, but would save a lot of heartache and money for the state in the long-run.

Exit checks the same.

Much easier you boarded with documentation if you no longer have it your on a return flight where this plane came from.

You're in murky legal territory there, and we're a country with rule of law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

delete

Actually were not the Airline is. It's just not enforced. It currently Illegal to enter Ireland without travel documentation or identity. And even worse for none EU states. If an EU citizen has no ticket stub/boarding card pretty sure that's Illegal. And the airlines are up for fines.

Edit. Their flushing the passports. They cant set them on fire that would be smelt or set off alarms. Passports are made sturdy pretty hard to tear one up so your information is unrecognisable. Start delaying the aircrafts they will fast look for passports.

Both the UK and EU schengen countries are bringing in their own version of ESTA next year. The EU (schengen) is also bringing in along with their version of ESTA an EES (entry and exit system) where they will be recording the biometric data of people entering and exiting the schengen area https://www.thelocal.fr/20221025/explained-what-the-eus-new-ees-system-means-for-travel-to-france/

Ireland is signed up to none of this, we will again be the weak link/soft touch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No surprise there then we aren't signed up to it.

Too busy giving an amnesty to law breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

You have to write to the European Commission about this outlining the concerns over Ireland. Also write to the UK Home Office. I know of people who are privately expressing concerns to the Commission and the UK Government about Ireland right now. The media recently got involved too.

The European Commission will eventually force Ireland to scrap the golden visa scheme and hopefully reverse the illegal migrant amnesties because it poses a security threat to other EU member states. If the Irish Government refuses to budge, the EU will sanction Ireland and also the UK should cut Ireland off from the Common Travel Area until it deals with the illegal migration problem.

Asylum and integration needs to be brought back under the Department of Justice. The radical Green Party and Roderic O'Gorman should never have been given this concession for entering a Programme for Government in 2020. I think we are the weakest in Europe vis-à-vis illegal migration. Most other European Countries are doing the opposite to us and we already had one of the most extreme liberal migration policy for the past 25 years. I remember the citizenship loophole before 2005. Sinn Féin advocated for illegal migrant amnesties now Sinn Féin want to confiscate peoples' vacant homes to house illegal migrants and asylum seekers! Lynn Boylan for example called for on the radio when she was asked about housing asylum seekers and her answer was that we have 'vacant homes'. Crazy... Sinn Féin also opposed the citizenship referendum in 2004 so now you know what the radical left would be like in Government!!

I think Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin are in the pocket of the radical left on illegal migration and asylum. I have friends from Poland and sometimes they ask me 'what's happening to Ireland'. They are registered to vote here but they're no fan of Varadkar or Martin and certainly not the radical left Sinn Féin/Green Party/Labour Party/Social Democrats/Solidarity-PBP.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

Is the American ESTA stopping people from various South American countries pouring in through the southern border, and then staying in the US? Not even a little bit.

With regards to migrations, ESTA, just like the concept of passport and visas (as we are seeing with people merrily destroying their documents around the European land borders and then getting to stay in their country of choice in a great majority of cases), is only useful to the extent it is enforceable. In other words, not to worry, the continental Europeans will stay in deep doodoo re the illegal migrations just as much as Ireland.

Post edited by seenitall on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

The US is not an island. It's a continental country with a nearly 2000 mile border with Mexico. Generally, border-skippers aren't coming into O'Hare or JFK. And there's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

I don’t know why you are addressing your post to me? I made a valid comparison between the US southern borders and the European ones, and the (ir)relevance of a system like ESTA or indeed any documentation in general, in relation to the events unfolding at these land borders (+ the Med for Europe). Which was in response to another poster who wrote a post about the expected benefits of the EU version of ESTA for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They come the, because of the soft touch and welfare wonderland. They are totally right. This farce is something that the irish government have created, encourage and will do nothing about... cant blame the Ukrainians for taking advantage...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A South African family seeking asylum in Ireland, has gone to court to challenge the State's decision to move them from hotel accommodation in Co Wicklow, to temporary accommodation in Co Mayo at a week’s notice. The family arrived in Ireland in the middle of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I feel sorry for the kids here alright but we really need to get a grip on this, People coming in living in hotels and getting paid to do so and then dictating where they will and won't go, what's that all about? Now another huge legal bill for the taxpayer to pick up.

And the paragraph with the hotel only being used now for single males. Where the **** are they all coming from and why is nobody trying to do anything about it. I know there's laws but christ.

The post above yours is spot on. People are just flocking here because they can demand anything and they get it.

It must be advertised all over the world if you come here you get cash and a house eventually if you kick up a stink.

We really are becoming a joke of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if they can afford to take the state to court they don’t need our help.

this is the entitlement that is evident in so many cases.

not just glad to be safe from whatever problem and granted housing, healthcare, cash and other supports.

they want to tell the Irish state and its people where and how they are to be housed.

instead of being grateful… they are demanding, wanting to be calling the shots and basically telling us to get to fûck.

somehow of the belief that whatever entitlement they have is going to be at their choosing, they can now demand where to live etc…

From the news article : “The woman said she understood they would be in the hotel on a permanent basis”

so they thought the tax payers would putting them in a hotel, ‘permanently’ …..

us, the citizens and taxpayers are paying hundreds of thousands for this housing, their healthcare, cash and miscellaneous supports, but they are basically saying TO US ‘ get to fûck, we will tell you where you will house us ‘….

What is the issue with being moved from a hotel ? My guess is and it can be the only reason… they’d have to start cooking, cleaning, washing, drying, supermarket shopping etc…. Putting the shoulders to the wheel of life and making an effort.

as opposed to a 3 or 4 star hotel, meals served up, cleaning done, some toiletries provided…

so from South Africa, to Ireland, about 14,000 kilometres. Given that Dublin to New York is 3200 kilometres. They ain’t here for asylum… they are here for a new life, and the benefits and system that our taxpayers money will enable them with. But they want to call the shots…nice…

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What is the issue with being moved from a hotel ? My guess is and it can be the only reason… they’d have to start cooking, cleaning, washing, drying, supermarket shopping etc…. Putting the shoulders to the wheel of life and making an effort

Might be beneficial to actually read the article, they have been moved to another hotel. Asylum Seekers are prohibited from taking up employment until at least 6 months.

No idea how it is the courts business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

They don’t need to be able to afford the high court. The taxpayers are funding their jaunt to the courts. To be fair, the lawyers are the only ones collecting the cash in the courts. The idea that someone not from the state can use the states cash to fund a case against the state in the court system is ridiculous. This is not a criminal case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

The word ''Refugee'' is the most abused word in the english language.

The problem is they are attempting to determine for themselves NOW how and where they should be accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The article in the examiner states the children had not yet started school yet the rate article states they had recently started school. I wonder were they enrolled as soon as they were given notice to move?

No doubt our valiant legal eagles only care about the family and not the money for perusing this case. I’m also pretty confident that one of our many waste of taxpayers money NGO’s are assisting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

Might be beneficial to read the whole article.....

''The woman said their new accommodation was in a cubicle in a sports arena at the hotel.''

Plenty of cubicles in Dublin, obviously just being staged there until something more comfy is availed to them.

given the amenities available and where they come from it’s im sure it’s not exactly a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So yes, they were moved to another hotel.

Might be beneficial to read what I replied to. 👍️

For reasons they believe to be pertinent.

But that will be up to a court to decide, if it is actually within their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

Yes, ''a cubicle in a sports arena at the hotel'', not quite a hotel room. Seen videos of the place, it's like the vaccination centers that were erected quickly.. so basically what the poster was saying, they essentially don't want to put the shoulders too the wheel of life.

I doubt they'll get the meals provided in a cubicle, or toiletries or a cleaner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've no idea what the hotel was like in Wicklow but no its not a hotel in Breaffy but I can see where the confusion is coming from.Its a converted sports hall on the grounds of a hotel.Theres an adjacent hotel (breaffy Woods) which is a Ukrainian refugee centre and a main hotel which for now is operating as normal all on the same complex.

There's a lot of misinformation and half truths out there.

For example the pics @Strumms has posted are of the main hotel and then the Woods (pre being converted into refugee centre) I'm not having a go at him or you @Boggles but you're both wrong here.

I don't believe "international protection" refugees should be picking and choosing where they get to stay either.

Advertisement