Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

No embarrassment here. The mother made two contradictory statements either the kids were enrolled in school or they weren’t.

Do try to keep up good lad.

Likewise I'm sure we will be treated the same as that they are here.

I'm sure they have an endless taxpayers pot and hotels to draw from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Well I'd like to think so. If not, I hope that the African media and activist class will be there defend us, and call the local Africans racist for not welcoming us all.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Christ.

It's not our crisis.

If we go ahead with your plan we kill our tourism industry.

After the hotels where does your plan propose to fill next, oh yeah, all the closed down airports because nobody will be coming here anymore.

May as well convert all the planes into houses along the runways too.

And when we have welcomed 1 million people from around the world over the next 12 months where will we find schools, hospitals, facilities etc. for them.

Maybe export Irish people to free up homes and school places for them.

You need to cop onto yourself, this is gone out of control, Ukraine is not short of safe areas to house their own refugees.

Offer to help build dormitories for them back there.

Loads of people are making an absolute mint out of this.

All these coastal hotels that were only full for a few months have 12 month full occupancy now.

Absolutely coining it lads are.

Same as the COVID with people flogging everything from dodgy ventilators to useless masks, sticking up silly yellow signs in government buildings, renting out hotels as overflow hospitals, isolation facilities and vaccination clinics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No we need to put up tented communities, refugee camps - that's what is done in many other parts of the world in this situation. Temporary solution for what we want to be a temporary problem.

As things stand our policy will tend more to hardwire all this immigration. We need to provide basic shelter, reasonable warmth and food. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I see a post up on Facebook from a local business that they have sadly closed up due to “the landlord not extending lease and increasing energy bills”

They were located in a unit underneath an hotel which has solely housed Ukrainians since February. All the units either side of them have already been converted into self contained living spaces. When nobody else was bothered renting the other units over the years, this small business did. Paying their rent and building up their trade. Now the greedy bastards want them out so they can add to the millions the state is already handing over to them.

One unit! One **** unit that would have kept a small business going.

I believe its carnage in Lisdoonvarna, more refugees than natives. The locals will end up moving out, a bit like Rathkeale over the years with our indigenous people.

Lisdoonvarna of course being a world famous tourism location in the Burren near the cliffs of moher.

The world famous Lisdoonvarna festival reduced to a tiny effort this year.

This is it in a nutshell.

We also need to provide assistance for them to return to wherever they came from once their local situation settles down.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

The fact that this is allowed to happen, and hardly a squeak about it is the most baffling thing. How can you replace a local population with outsiders who probably could not point out Ireland on a map before all this madness started. Might as well rename it Lisdoonvarski at this stage and replace Irish language signs with Ukrainian ones.

If this was my town I’d be up banging on the gates of the Dail, imagine being put under this much hardship as an Irish citizen so our so called “leaders” can feel good about themselves and please their masters in the EU…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So you are doubling down? Jeez.

She enrolled the kids in a school in Wicklow, then they were moved to Mayo and have yet to enrol them in new schools there in the hope they are moved back to Wicklow.

Do try to keep up good lad.

Indeed. 😂

I read the article. So they arrived in Ireland (extremely traumatised from being beaten, shot and raped at home of course) and in the space of 2 months managed to become fully integrated in schools, sports clubs, the kids made loads of friends etc. etc.

Tents, tents and more tents is the way out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I was told I'd have to wait around 12 months for an MRI recently, I had to go private and pay the guts of €300 for the privilege instead, some people aren't so lucky. Our public health system has always been a total shambles but it looks like it's gone beyond the point of saving now with the influx of foreigners over the last few years. We are totally screwed in so many areas, housing, health, transport infrastructure, at least our tax money is being well used to prop up everybody else that arrives here cap in hand.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Potatoeman threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Commoner

I wouldn't say it's too late. Irish law can be applied retroactively if the political will is there to resettle them back in Africa. Under the Dublin Regulation, these SA asylum seekers would have no entitlement to asylum here if they passed through a first reception state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Took me about 5-6 weeks to get an MRI done privately, we can thank our wonderful lockdowns for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Let's call a spade a spade, a small minority of well connected people are making an absolute mint out of this.

Not to go off topic but the general population is suffering a decrease in living standards through mismanagement of the country. Health, Law and Order, investment in infrastructure etc. All the important stuff is neglected. Self serving Govt officials have the main focus on lining their own pockets.

It's a good job these hate speech laws are incoming, a lot of people will fall foul of them towards their against refugees.

Ireland is playing its part here, we are one of the richest countries in the world and we must do what we can to assist these people who have watched their own country destroyed.

We can easily house more people, it's a simple choice we have to make.

If we have to sacrifice our tourist season next year to house our fellow humans then so be it, the begrudgery amongst some people is soul-destroying, I cant wait for these hate speech laws to come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly… None of the decisions being made, impact the people making them or their loved ones.

O’Gorman is on a six figure salary. The fück does he care. The rest of us just have to suck it up and deal as best we can with having our wellbeing and opportunities fûcked under a truck…

remember when politicians actually worked to enable the wellbeing of us, Irish citizens, taxpayers, as first priority… ?

Was a time that the Taoiseach of the day would have the fûcking cop on to hand a Green TD the environment portfolio and leave it at that. Keep the rest of them like this O’Gorman character on the back benches. Having his five minutes of fame on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Hate speech laws? You have to be trolling! Nice try 😉

We can easily house more people, it's a simple choice we have to make.

There's millions of free houses, pots of gold and endless resources in the fantasy land that pro government types live in. Sadly for us all, none of that is real, and both sides are fighting from different realities, hence why we'll never agree on anything.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I assumed he meant more in the JFK "we will go to the moon" way, not the '**** that, it's far away, why bother, let the free market decide' sense.

remember when politicians actually worked to enable the wellbeing of us, Irish citizens, taxpayers, as first priority… ?

No, but the disconnect, the betrayal of the will of people, which is the nature of democracy itself, is becoming more and more pronounced by the day. They once pretended to act in our interests, yet now they don't even do that. They are completly open and brazen about the nature of modern states, which is essentially a big internationalist/globalist playground, a home for the world and not the native. They've managed in a short period of time to completly normalize this too, and have made serving your citizens first something that should be viewed negatively, a backward concept in the supposedly progressive modern world.

So how many refugees have you housed yourself?

Nobody is begrudging any refugee anything.

People are simply stating it simply you cant fit a litre into a pint glass.

Ireland has a small infrastructure in every sense it's full to breaking in any area.

Can we not be sensible and take in what can be managed

Labelling people for having an opinion on this shouldn't happen if it's their view.

If I was thinking of moving abroad for a change of lifestyle I'd consider all the options, Australia, Dubai, Canada, southern Spain etc.

Then I'd decide which looked most attractive.

None of these people threw a dart at a map and hit Ireland. They would have done their research and decided treasure Ireland offered the best option.

You can't say anything like that now or you will be quoted hate speech, racist,misogynist etc.

Which is frustrating that taxpayers cant have an opinion contrary to and leftist views in Ireland 2022.

Looking back at history any healthy dictatorship founded on a a concept and any thoughts to the contrary was quashed.

I cant wait to retire I'll be out of here the day after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Just stop with that shite will ya for forks sake. Absolutely nonsense talk.

Advertisement