Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

Couldn’t get the hotel we wanted for the bank holiday weekend, but usually book about a month in advance for other weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well if certain posters on here were in receipt of money from the asylum industry it would explain their stance, and total refusal to to ignore the facts on the ground.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Another thing about the likes of Killarney that some may be naive to, is that tourists come to places as such for the locals as much at they come for the towns and the nature near by. The people themselves are a massive selling point. So even if you could somehow mange to fit everyone in, it would still water down the culture experience that people come for. I know several tourists hot spots on the West coast that are very "pro local" for that very reason, because they know that they live and breath on giving tourists a certain experience, an experience that's at risk when you toss many unknowns on top.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Was that the cafe mentioned on the Matt Cooper that neither you, nor the poster who provided the link, have listened to??

Yes or No will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

They will be just whinging about everything being a ripoff.

Hotels have a choice now get 'X' per room per night 365 days a year off the government and run their restaurant as a canteen service, closing their bar, or open to the public making sure they get well well north of 'x' to cover all the extra hassle they will have dealing with the moanbags of Ireland.

The price of a wedding will increase too given how many hotels won't be hosting them.

• Advertisement

Next time you can look forward to paying even more your midweek break.

If you couldn't afford the weekend rates this year you might not even be able to afford the midweek rate next year.

But of course it's nothing to do with the asylum tourists getting first dibs on loads of rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is an important point and one that should not be lost. We could well look back on this period in ten years & more time and wonder what happened to Irish identity & culture. The real thing gone, diluted and replaced with a pastiche version of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Recorded phone call between member of the public and the Head of Mayo County Council. Lots of questions but few answers

Once again,

Why is there no planning required for turning a sportshall into a hostel but if I want to turn my garage into an air b n b for 2 people it's required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because it’s an industry. Laws will be changed and exemptions introduced to allow a small number of connected individuals to make vast profits. It’s always been like this in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Shocking, so are the comments on full YouTube version of it.

Which aspects do you find shocking?

I'm becoming used to this stuff now.

So that sports hall became a vaccination centre and now it's a quick fix to convert it into bedrooms as it seems the cubicles are the exact same.

Easy money for all involved. COVID, the gift that keeps on giving.

And it looks like a straight transition from COVID vaccination centre to bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

It’s the fundamental point. What else would we think they come for the green fields; grey landscape our people are our fundamental selling point. The colours within, the very same as when we go abroad even with something to sell the people come first it could never appeal if if it were to mutate into turgid mono nothing in particular.

I think we know what ultimately gets reflected on around the dinner table when we get back, a profound disappointment where you become the subject of ridicule we cannot continue like this we all need to have standards. To raise our game we are not beasts, not some breeding ground for the worlds dregs this goodwill gesture of having them converge on us we cannot afford to give rise to any longer. As an isle we cannot afford to permanently give refuge to the worlds downtrodden it is delusionary pie in the sky from people away with the birds. Ultimately, however it is a reduction scheme to continually diminish our identity to the point of nothing and this demented ideology and people perpetuating it simply have to be ousted and ridiculed.

We are not a beacon we are a target; now a donkey. It’s time to pull on the boots, this nonsense must end and I’m calling on every one of you to stand up and be counted for they are legion and they are amongst us first and foremost. The madness must end

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’m calling on every one of you to stand up and be counted 

Severe lack of detail.

How does one stand up and be counted specifically?

Have you yourself stood up and what exactly does that entail? Again specifically?

Maybe start with the post where you told us COVID will affect the number of Americans coming next year.

Well this thread looks like a straight transition from COVID threads. Same rhetoric used. Imo. Soon enough we might experience mob in action..

Are you going to tell us what you found shocking about that lad going around a sportshall that was converted into a vaccination centre then hostel beds?

Are you shocked that the same hotels are coining it off the same government coffers?

Or maybe shocked that the lads renting out the modular units are getting a full reload of cash?

This smells familiar, like "temporary" rented school prefabs that are there 20 years later, the rent has paid the owners for them many times later.

Did you read comments on YouTube? Or on that Twitter post. I wouldn't be a biggest fan on immigration politics in Ireland, but come on.

Again it's not my opinion, it's the opinion of ITIC.

Full recovery may be up to 4 years away

ITIC estimate that visitor arrivals are projected to reach around two thirds of 2019 levels – close to 6m visitors in this very untypical year of demand. Unfortunately, the level of tourism earnings for the year is difficult to project at this point in the absence of CSO surveys.

While demand is proving to be buoyant so far this year, the unique post Covid circumstances and the composition of demand, the performance to date is unlikely to form the basis of a linear progression of growth into 2023 and beyond. The worsening economic conditions and the threat of a new Covid variant threaten future recovery, with ITIC not expecting to see full recovery to 2019 visitor volumes until at least 2025/6

• Advertisement

Oh, so it's just opinions now of what might happen next year. Not the reality.

That article doesn't even mention the American market, which you claimed WILL be affected by COVID next year.

Oh, so it's just opinions now of what might happen next year. Not the reality.

It's the opinion based on research and analysis by the  Irish Tourism Industry Confederation. If you have analysis and research that counters that opinion, then by all means link it up.

If you want to know what exactly will happen in the future as in from now until 2026 you may have to employ a medium, although I hear results can be hit and miss. Is Mystic Meg still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where are the people in that sports hall going to eat ? Or will it be self catering in a communal kitchen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just thought people here might know .It was just a question I dont do twitter

You can ask him on YouTube, by your question I'd say you've managed to open Twitter post? And link to full video is in comments.

Edit: YouTube link https://youtu.be/hXAM511HLcU

Actually watched it myself till the end. Arm up ladies and gentlemen, the end is coming.

Anyway do people here just walk into the random buildings here with camera crew ?

Post edited by xhomelezz on

YOU said the North American market will DEFINATELY be affected next year, citing COVID as a reason.

That is your statement of fact, own it.

I'd presume they will be fed across in the function room of the main hotel, same as all the refugees lucky enough to get their own room.

It was in reply to a poster who said it wouldn't be effected, strange you haven't pounced on his declaration.

What I said.

The North American market will definitely be effected, American travellers in particular by and large are very much risk adverse, Covid and the War are putting them off travelling to Europe.

Anyway like I said it's based on the analysis and research undertaken by Irish Tourism Industry Confederation.

Again, if you have any research that counters their claims, by all means fire it up.

• Advertisement

Were the cubicles being used as bedrooms? It’s my understanding that partitions in sports halls etc aren’t allowed on health and safety grounds.

Advertisement