Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

But she’s not wrong in that we have to plan. A massive wave of migration is inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The government have already said that the influx of refugees is permanent, so this is government policy. All the Main government and opposition parties back this policy. So yes, planning is critically important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do we the citizens of this state have no say in this matter? Why is it inevitable? We're not helpless, we can surely exert some controls if we put our minds to it. But that's all mute - the point is that citizens should surely be consulted and allowed to consent or otherwise to this proposed momentous change.

The government is elected to represent as best it can the views of the citizens. So surely it should consult the citizens? Otherwise they are playing with fire. This lack of consultation has already blown up in local areas around the country, inc East Wall area in Dublin. Such a policy implemented without consultation and agreement on a wide scale has the capacity to rupture normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you don't really have a say at the moment no. only those loonies in the national party or whatever have an anti immigration stance, so if they're running in your area you could vote for them. or you could run for government yourself, or lobby your local tds to try and legislate for anti-immigration.

most people don't really care, regardless of a few people in east wall or here or there, due to most of the country being pretty wealthy.

if things got quite bad economically i'm sure that first of all the tide of immigrants would stop, and some more politicians might try to run on the anti-immigration ticket so you could vote on that. but in the meantime you may as well just make peace with it. namaste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Many elected Irish politicians despise large proportions of the electorate and openly make this abundantly clear on a regular basis in the Dail. The politicians who care about the views of the electorate are far and few between, outside of election time.

yes, but I see that as part of planning. But it’s a reality that we’re not going to be able to completely turn our back. We need to have controls and an idea of numbers in the context of housing and services. Climate driven migration, coming soon to a screen near you…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah I was struck by her wording on that too, certainly provoked a feeling of “and who the hell are you to tell us what we must do?”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Catherine Day is a fundamentalist Eurocrat, she's been on the gravy train to beat all gravy trains for many years, her allegiance is first and foremost to the European project above all, not to the citizens of this Republic she and her likes are well insulated against any of the fruits of those policies, one of a coterie of dangerous cultish unelected people to whom the European project is all who hold far too much influence over internal affairs on this island

Yes that was my impression. I'd be open to arguments on both sides of the coin but I would thought that such a fundamental ongoing change to Irish society should be discussed & agreed with us the citizens. Otherwise we will inevitably have resentment and a viable right wing party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

"Most people don't really care"?

I'm not sure you get to speak on behalf of most people.

Let's see if most people care or not,lets have some sort of referendum on it.Put it to the people and I think you'd get a fairly clear picture.

Unfortunately, there will be huge amounts of refugees of all sorts coming this direction. It might be a good idea to put a plan in place at least.We have obligations both legal and moral in my opinion. Having said that are we going to do our fair share or are we going to position ourselves as the number 1 favoured destination? These are the kind of things we need to work out.

Putting people who don't agree with you in the bracket of loony fringe right parties is a dangerous thing to do,you are playing straight into far right hands there and you can't even see it.

This is the very tactic which has seen the tide change in many countries in Europe (many others not far behind) and good auld dopey Ireland sleepwalking straight into it too now aswell.

i don't think it's a priority for most people, otherwise surely it'd be something politicians seize and on and use to their benefit no?

can you put something that doesn't affect the constitution to a referendum?

boards.ie is only one demographic really so not a great barometer.

i'm putting people in a bracket like the national party, and the people with the wef and great replacement posters protesting recently in east wall and who were leading all the antivax stuff in the looney bracket yes, not everyone who wants to curb immigration. there is currently no credible political party that wants to limit migrants, that i know of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

This from Aontu... Yes I know they have only one Td

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

One in 4 hotel beds currently used for refugees and asylum seekers. Where are next year's going to stay? Airbnb more or less getting banned for tourists next year, game over for tourism. The it'll be grand approach is gonna run out of road fairly lively.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/1207/1340593-24-of-hotel-rooms-being-used-to-house-asylum-seekers/

That guy and his party are anti-abortion, not gonna get much support with that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Really? I don't think most people care about a parties stance on abortion

Regardless 35 percent plus voted no

most of them are probably dead now, and those left wont be around much longer. even the republicans in america were losing certain areas in in the midterms over the abortion issue, the ireland of old has moved on.

anyway aontu need to get their arse in gear if they want a presence in the next government

Weren't they fifth highest in the last poll?

Regardless general public doesn't really care or think much about abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

A perfect storm for Ireland to be put on the "Places not to visit" category of social media and travel guides.

They couldn't F**k the country up more if they tried.

• Advertisement

because there are refugees here people wont visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

That lad doesn't even live in Ireland. Of course he doesn't care as he doesn't live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The "most read" article in the Irish Times today is on illegal immigration, so I assume at least some people care. For people who don't know anything about the ongoing charade, it is a bit of an eye-opener. Between the lines, it also highlights the extent to which the government is actively suppressing information. We're informed that "exact figures claiming asylum are unavailable." It also reports that Helen McEntee said that "a proportion of undocumented people arriving in Ireland already had refugee status in another EU member state." A proportion?? How can we expect to have an open and objective debate if we're being fed this kind of slippery nonsense? As the people financing this treachery, we're at least entitled to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The most read article concerns the arrival of the grand total of 1300 people into the state over a one year period who are of unknown origin. It's not exactly an "invasion", is it? The overwhelming majority of people migrating into the state are 100% legitimate and have the legal right to live, work or study in Ireland (estimated arrival of around 64,000 non nationals who are not refugees).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe when you move back from UK you might find that "most people" do care.

And much like the good old construction fueled celtic tiger days our wealth is an illusion.

Bye bye multinationals and bye bye economy.

Oh and the industry you want to decimate on a daily basis is one of our only real indigenous industries.

I suppose you would be all for refugees replacing tourists to finish off our other indigenous industry, tourism.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So we have been a free state determining it's own course for 100 years this month.

Do we celebrate?

Do we fook.

Nah we have too many quislings too busy selling the country out.

At this stage I couldn't give a fook if we got a real hard right.

The current body politic needs to be reset

And the EU is well and truly finished if it's ideologues tries to push this through on member states.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This is it, the way the government talk about and are going about it - urgent appeals to give up spare rooms/holiday homes, block book hotels to house refugees/asylum seekers, there’s a feeling of all hands on deck, emergency mode until this passes... but unless something is done, this will not pass - it’s just the beginning - and the same thing is going to happen all over again next year.

I think they're going to water down or put the airbnb stuff on the méar fhada, they've created an absolute mess of a situation. Lets say they manage to put the restrictions in by q1 2023 like they said they're aiming for and Bord Failte has had funding to prepare for this since last budget so they should be ready to go fairly quickly so lets say they start in Summer 2023 and massive amounts are taken off the market all of a sudden and you have a ton of tourists with nowhere to stay, can you imagine what a PR disaster that will be for tourism in this country and you will also have a lot of have hotels deciding to get out of the refugee hosting game asap if tourists who will be spending more than the State needing somewhere to stay.

I completely think that we need proper airbnb regulation but the legislation, they forced through at the end of the summer to make airbnb liable for hosting listings that should have planning permission was dropped when it was almost through the process it needed to go through at the EU level. Airbnb are great lobbyists and the Government knows they have over committed hotel rooms to the asylum process, I don't think they're going to be in any rush to get this up and running quickly or without a bunch of loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

The article reports that "more than 10,000 people have claimed asylum in Ireland so far this year, in addition to over 62,000 Ukrainian refugees." If you want to play semantics and slice them up into various categories (and come up with 1300), that's fine. As I see it, there are an additional 72000 people we now have to shelter, feed, provide healthcare to etc, and, irrespective of categorization, they all have the same lamentable implications for our housing crisis, public services, and finances.

• Advertisement

Yes I am married to one, who voted yes, but was conflicted on the entire thing.

Can you show abortion on a poll of most important things facing the nation?

Advertisement