Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'd rather they didn't let them in in the first place.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well there is an actual war in their country and they were all women and children who came across as genuine and decent people. But still made me very jealous if not annoyed to see such gorgeous accommodation going free gratis.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

So when foreign tourists booking summer holidays now google "hotel killarney" they will be confronted with wrenching reports of "multiple stabbings." Lovely, isn't it?

Issue is, there is no political will to do anything. One party is worse than the other, all committed to "celebrating diversity". The UK was in the same position twenty years ago and nothing was done. Does anyone seriously think our spineless lot with do any better? Even the Healy-Raes are conspicuously quiet, no doubt they are in on the con (with their multiple properties)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

~400 people are living in the hotel which is a direct provision centre. The hotel currently houses people seeking international protection https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/two-men-arrested-as-gardai-investigate-killarney-stabbings-311421

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

Agreed. Chances are they will get a telling off and everything swept under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Local politicians will say nothing because most of them like the Healy Raes own multiple properties and are coining it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nothing to do except cause trouble and harass women.

Can't be deported either even if we has a Minister prepared to actually sign the order because we don't know who they are.

But the tide is slowly turning and there is only so long that the Government can ignore public opinion with an election at the most only 2 years away.

But if as many come in this year as in 2022 I'm not sure what the country is going to be like this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

How would an election change anything. All the main opposition parties support the same policies.

• Advertisement

Oh they sure do, SF and the far left would let in the whole world if they could.

What I mean is if the voters bring this up to every candidate who knocks on the door and give them an earful about it it might make them wake up and decide to do something about it or at the very least stop ignoring the problem like has been happening up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The people interviewed were absolutely the kind of refugees who should be here - their towns were left in bits by bombing, or they lost a loved one, etc. The producers made the right choice in featuring them and not people from the west of Ukraine who have been relatively unaffected. They made great work on the houses. It’s a shame those 6 houses were left to ever get into that state, when their purpose was to help those in need.

One thing that annoyed me though was that they featured two mothers and daughters and gave them a house each. Unless each house only had one bedroom, I see no reason why the two mothers and daughters couldn’t share a house.

Why would they. It’s not an election issue as all parties are aligned. The government already said that the policy of taking in large numbers is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

The thing that confuses me are why isn't a political party/high profile politician coming out and saying we need to do something about undocumented people coming here. It's obvious Ireland is a soft touch. We have idiot out and out racists speaking out alright but not many reasonable representatives. I think the mayor of Kerry was one but he got abuse over it.

We can then still look after people who do not destroy their documents and seek asylum.

We need to be fair to Irish citizens and asylum seekers otherwise racism will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

At this stage what are we left with ?

I have come to the conclusion that the main political parties (fg,ff, labour, sf, pbp, social democracts, whatever else) as currently constituted do not care a jot about the future of this state nor most of it's native inhabitants.

And thus I will openly admit that the only course of action is to back anyone who voices a counter opinion.

The body politic has to be sent a message, continuing to vote for any of them is not going to change anything because they are all of the same opinion.

At this stage I would even vote for that halfwit barrett that would want to resurrect McQuaid as some semblance of dissatisfation has to be shown.

Of course back to the very narrow topic of Ukrainians having to compete with others supposedly fleeing something somewhere.

Notice how the new buzzword is International Protection for those scammers.

I am not allowed discuss …

Voting for nutters will not help, only make things worse. The EU are supporting and encouraging these policies. That is just the way it is and will be for the medium term at least.

It wasn't an election issue back in Feb 2020, as I said above if this year is going to have the same numbers coming in as the one just passed and its looking that way because I reckon Putin is going full on into Ukraine once the spring comes then it will be very much an election issue when there is nowhere for anyone to live.

Even if the labour force to build new houses and do up older ones was there (which it isn't) supply wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Roddy O Gormans job is turning into the new version of the Health portfolio, in other words the job nobody wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Not true. Even if they are nutters, they may have an eventual value, because if they get anywhere politically, the mainstream parties may have to change their ways, as they'll be forced to deal with the reality of rising dissent against their "values". Voting for any of the current parties, SF included, will do absolutely nothing.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But you managed to find this "obscure" site and just join today, right?

How did you hear about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Aontu are the only party opposed to mass immigration here afik.

• Advertisement

I'm challenging your assertion that some random post was made on an "obscure" site months ago, but here you are freshly signed up to discuss it.

Bit strange really.

But I know how you argue, I've seen it for 20 odd years

Well this just gets weirder. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It is no use arguing with them.

It is the same old shyte, they either target you, the language used, demand the original documents, hone in on some irrelevant point in the post, but never discuss the actual topic of the post and they get a pass all the time.

On the contrary. as TomTomTim pointed out they have a real value.

What is the point voting for the same old thing, only under a different colour.

It would be like saying I am giving up Benson & Hedges, John Player, Silk Cut, but will try Marlboro instead,

The body politic here needs to be wiped out and start again.

We can't afford to import the same numbers this year as last, no matter who the fook they are.

And none of the political parties or politicians in the Dail have said it.

I am not allowed discuss …

I think if Renua and Aontu left the religion bit out of their policies they would have more success getting the right leaning voters to back them.

Mixing religion and politics never works out.

At the moment my number 1 goes to the independant candidate because I despise the left and FF and FG have turned into woke lib parties as well.

This Lucky whats his name was on the news saying Irish people commit crime and nobody says anything about it.

Well thats a lie and its easy to see what his game was, trying to deflect attention away from what the migrants were up to last night.

Who exactly is this guy anyway, the only information I can see on him is he arrived form SA in 2013, he seems to be a great man always coming on telling us how to run our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,919 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Right leaning voters are generally religious, and the fact that they don’t vote for Renua and Aontu should tell you something - it’s not because of the religion bit that nobody votes for them, it’s because they’re nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What proof have you that right leaning voters are genrally religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

It wouldn't be that hard to figure out where they came from. International travel leaves a paper-trail even if you "Lost" your passport.. Keep following the trail and it should be easy enough figure out where they came from, or you have the other option, Deport them back to where they said they came from..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,919 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In Ireland specifically? The relationship between the historic popularity of the two main political parties, FF and FG which are Christian Democratic centre-right parties, and the census figures which demonstrate that most people in Ireland identify themselves as being Christian, more specifically Roman Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Most people in ireland these days are not religious.

You just need to take a look at the number of people attending church these days or have conversations with people or the struggle for them to get priests.

People may put Christian on the census because ireland is historically a Christian country but very few people care about religion these days.

Advertisement