Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yes I don't think it's a good way to protest and not something anyone should be celebrating.

Also I'm not sure why anyone would involve themselves with anything organised by those national party guys. Its sad to see people in the videos supporting these kind of parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Put it this way

If the people here supporting them had that mob turning up outside their house screaming "get them out" theyd soon change their attitude. Its vile disgusting hate fuelled intimidation that doesnt belong anywhere in a civilised society. Shame on them and shame on the people supporting.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

Well if they feel "intimidated" then they can be offered a free trip home where the reassuring familiarity of their native countries will relieve their stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I know it's painful to accept but realistically they are not going anywhere are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its absolutely vile and disgusting behaviour to be screaming "get them out" outside where someone lives. It isnt "intimidating". Its agressive and intimidating.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Like it or not, acknowledge it or not, we as citizens and taxpayers are being taken for a ride by all sides here at this stage. From the politicians, the NGOs, the housing authorities and the chancers who turn up with a sob story that undermine the whole process and discredit those who are legitimate and genuinely in need.

Was getting a haircut last week in the local Turkish barber and 2 somewhat disheveled lads ahead of me - one of which was having a great chat in Turkish with the barber. Turns out (as he told me after) that the lads had arrived by hiding out in/under a truck from France, and now of course they're our problem.

It's no wonder we can't provide housing and services when we refuse to recognise that the word is out to all and sundry at this stage that Ireland is a soft touch and open for exploitation by those with the neck to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Yeah, the lack of housing might be the asylum seekers fault.

Or could it possibly be due to us building **** all houses for the last 10 years? Nah you're right, it's those scrounging foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

I still don’t understand why the gov want them. They’re costing a fortune and there’s nowhere for them.

what’s up with the governments thick response ??

As much as I don’t like Leo I doubt he’s an idiot despite behaving like one here.

Do you think the extra numbers are going to help the housing crises ????

and how are they not scroungers. They’re getting accommodation and benefits that they’ve done zero to deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Housing Minister is disturbed by the protests in Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Lack of housing, exactly. So what is Minister O'Gorman doing, by basically inviting and promising countless numbers of people into a situation that does not exist, a situation that is a remit and responsibility of the government that O'Gorman is also a part of? He's either inept or is trying to sow the seeds of inevitable conflict.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So what criteria should be met before you get a blanket on the floor of a gym and a bowl of Aramark soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The protests may be being orchestrated by right wing elements but brushing them aside seems to be a forlorn hope that there is not genuine concern building out there. The stats last year are alarming particularly in a housing crisis.

We seem to be in extend and pretend territory with politicians.

But the numbers don't add up. 68,000 Ukrainians alone. How many new houses?

That's the calculation people up and down this country are now making. They can see we are in serious trouble.

Of course adding more people won't help in a housing crisis. But yiz may as well be screeching GET BACK IN THERE to newborns for all the good it will do.

Successive terrible governments are to blame for this, but if you want another cohort that's far more problematic than bloody asylum seekers, then point your ire at short term rental landlords. Airbnb tossers.

But no, you lot would rather focus on vulnerable people. Why?

Well we all know why. It's plain as day and bloody shameful.

Any of you condoning what's been going on in the like of ballymun are just as racist as the gobshites terrorizing children.

The housing minister is disturbed by protests in Ballymun

The Health minister is blaming consultants not working weekends in hospitals for the trolley crisis.

For people with the mandate to ease tensions in these situations and manage the issues long back, **** me they are some shower of hands off deflectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Leo definitely isn't an idiot. Self-serving, superficial and populist, but not an idiot.

He's doing exactly what he's been told by his EU "betters" and he's following stated FG policy to increase the population of this country by a million - most of which will be through immigration as we know that certainly the average worker can't afford it what with childcare costs, school place waiting lists, costs and lack of bigger/suitable accommodation etc.

This way though he gets to do both and look good to those who can't/refuse to see beyond the "poor vulnerable" narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

There is a lot of stupidity amongst the far right lads who are always at these things and trying to egg things on. If they had more experience like many of the high profile UK ones, the last thing they would be trying to get going would be those kinds of protests targeting the asylum seekers. It's just never going to be something the public gets behind at large. It's far beyond the point where ordinary decent people would consider those guys as an option and votes will show that as they have been doing. There is a need for a fresh young far right type with the smarts to pull it off but so far Ireland just hasn't been able to come close to getting someone like that at the forefront. You'd almost think the current crop are "controlled opposition" as they really do serve that purpose, seemingly inadvertently.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

There's a laundry list of EU departments, agencies, funds, think-tanks, etc. that will reward Leo etc. for pursuing this top-down external agenda. Seeing as this is about Ukraine there's the same again and even more from UN side. 

The state (you and me) will pay for this mess while the politicians move on. These days the primary skill of our politicians is keeping a straight face while doing the EXACT opposite of what the citizens want. In the same way we have "modern Ireland", we also now have a "new democracy" ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Most of the protestors don't deserve them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

How else to grow your money in this country but by property. They tax the fck out of investments. So the money moves to property and we get a load of empty houses and renters.

Which leaves a lot of people just sitting on piled up cash in their accounts. And working just for a bigger and bigger number on a screen. Not quite enough for a home, yet too much to waste on trivial luxuries.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Do you think our current immigration laws are working effectively?

If not, what would you change?

If so, how many do you think we can accommodate a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yep, according to this narrative from the usual suspects, immigrants and the Irish public themselves (!) are to blame for the current housing crisis, not the government or the housing authorities.

Actually many many many on here blame the government for immigration policy over those migrating here in search of a better life.

I do not agree with the manner of the protests, I think our non existent immigration laws need reform. Those protesting are not an answer, but they are the only ones in the political sphere even mentioning potential negatives of this madness.

60 percent of asulym seekers here are economic migrants, and refused asulym.

I'm not some bleeding heart that thinks we should simply have an open door policy.

Given the housing disaster I think non -eu immigration should be curtailed for a number of years, though there'll be significant downside to that too.

I don't think we should remove our name from the Geneva convention. We should always, always be a haven for refugees and asylum seekers, given our history. That said, I think our commitment to take in so many Ukrainians is bizarre and unfair on both them and us.

I just don't think we should be screaming at vulnerable people in search of safety to go home. Not only is it intolerably cruel, it won't actually work.

All that's been achieved is to make them feel unwelcome, lonely and scared.

And honestly I agree with almost all of that.

The only bit I would quibble about is the vulnerable people. We refuse 60 percent, 60 percent are not deemed vulnerable enough. I am not a vulnerable person if I decide to move to the US without a VISA. These actual impact our ability to help genuine cases, and provide more temporary asulym.

These protests are what happens when only one side of the debate is given a voice in the media. As a country we're almost lucky these lads and ladies are utterly unelectable. But the next ones likely won't.

These needs to be discussed without the fear of being called racist, until that happens, and we continue to allow unchecked, undocumented migration into the country we will only see this grow.

There are many many legitimate concerns about our immigration policy that needs discussing in the open, and need action taken. Unfortunately we're more a spend money and kick it down the road nation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The fault lies with O Gorman opening his gob and promising every Tom Dick and Harry a free house 4 months after showing up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ireland is about three decades behind the UK on this issue

the people in charge in this country witnessed what happened with the neighbours across the sea and they still gave the green light

there will be a polished “far right” candidates or party in the future but it will all be too late at that stage

and there never should have been a need for them in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Apparently what goes on Twitter stays on Irish Twitter, it doesn’t get tweeted and retweeted and relayed around the globe. Pinned and stuff.

• Advertisement

I haven't called anyone with immigration concerns a racist. I share some of the concerns myself.

I have lots of sympathy with economic migrants looking for a better life, be they from Georgia or elsewhere, but agree they can't be granted asylum.

That said, we have upwards of 50,000 people working in the US illegally so perhaps we shouldn't be so uptight about it. If all countries were to clamp down on it we'd be in an even worse situation.

One obvious thing we can do is increase the speed for processing asylum applications. It's insanely slow at the moment.

Another is ending or halting Airbnb letting. That would not be a panacea, but would improve things dramatically in the short term.

I think literally everyone here knows that screaming at asylum seekers in their accommodation will not improve our situation at all. Those that do the screeching and those that condone it, are simply doing it for their own kicks

Advertisement