Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith sentenced to 15 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

All costs attributed to a successful conviction through the courts should be attributed to that persons future welfare and pension entitlements until fully discharged. It’s a small step but at least something as an outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Cordell

Fear of being accused of islamophobia of course. The very fact that she arrived dressed like that sending a clear message that she's actually proud of what she has become should be reason enough for a very lengthy sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

what surprises me is that her military service was seen by the judge as a mitigating factor rather than a compounding factor....

I'd be far more concerned about someone with military training and experience being associated with a terrorist irganisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have followed the case loosely and some of the mitigating factors is that she pleaded guilty early,she already did time in prison in Syria before she was returned to Ireland and they werent able to prove that she used her army experience to give Isis fighters weapons training as was first alleged. They proved membership of Isis by virtue of her marrying an Isis fighter and her sending him 800 odd euro by Western Union. But on the scale of what she could of done all they could prove was low level stuff.

Personally I dont believe for one minute that an ex Army member with weapons experience didnt help train their fighters but as theres no proof of it she hasnt been hit with a hard sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

yes them boys would be queuing up to take training from a white woman, sounds like their bag alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

If we let her out after this sentence is served then I think there is little chance she won't slip back into her radical ways. Best case she will simply be an active recruiter for radical Islam. Worst case in 2-3 years we'll all be glued to CCTV footage of her walking into a packed Croke Park with what we then know is a suicide vest under that bulky coat.

15 months (if she even serves that) is very light for the activities she apparently engaged in during her time as a member of ISIS. Unfortunately the DPP chose not to press charges for those allegations. But I would still expect the Syrian and Iraqi embassies will be looking at this lenient sentence today with outrage. As extradition is unlikely as she could face very severe punishment were she to stand trial in the countries she was active in then best we can hope for is she disappears into the back of a van as she walks back from the mosque one evening and winds up back in her real home serving multiple life sentences.

It is a million lightyears away from being treasonous.

The standard of committing treason is so impossibly high that even the Yanks haven't convicted someone of treason since the mid-19th century.

The Irish definition of treason was based on the US constitution so you'll be waiting a while for someone to be charged, never mind convicted.

Its more complex than what you think. ISIS was not an all male affair, they had an all female battalion fighting alongside them who were trained by a white woman from Kansas who has since been convicted. So it wouldnt surprise me at all if someone with Lisa Smiths army training was helping to train ISIS fighters, whether they were male or female doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

If this is an Irishman their getting 3 years minimum. Yet another example of a woman getting a very light sentence by the Irish justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She never plead guilty, she should have, but she didn't.

Also I don't think she is the trained assassin been made out she is, she worked as an air hostess on the government jet for a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm glad that's over for now, her repatriation, legal costs and cost of incarceration must be costing the Irish taxpayer many 100ks. Plus when she gets out she'll be most likely unemployable and a drain on our welfare system for the rest of her life. Some achievement for someone who was by all accounts unremarkable prior to departing the defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

She is a traitor and has rejected Ireland and Irish values.

Give her a Quaran and sail her out to Rockall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

She was only a tiny cog in the ISIS terror machine..far far worse were all those governments supplying them with weapons, buying their stolen oil and even giving their wounded medical assistance.All happy to assist them as long as they killed Syrians and wrecked the country.

But these vermin will never be held to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

15 months is a very lenient sentence, the max she could have been given was 8 yrs, I think 15 months sends out the wrong message for more wannabes.

If she was tried in a court in the US, she would have gotten 15 yrs minimum , never mind 15 months.

With good behaviour and a low level of repeat offending, she will get remission and will walk in 7 months time.

That's just my humble opinion.

Another poster mentions they feel sorry for the child? Why? This is the child she had with the ISIS fighter she went over to Syria.

I presume her parents are still alive, they will be legal guardians until LS is released from prison.

P1ss poor sentencing, Ireland is a nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

The amount of people who come on here when a sentence has been dished out, and emphatically state its has been far too lenient, is quite disturbing.

Back in the day when people were tarred/feathered, hanged, or dragged through the streets as punishment, there was always a large gathering of people cheering on, I've often wondered would this still occur in current times, and given the sample size on boards I'd quite confidently say there would be a large congregation baying for blood.

this women was passed around and married 5 different men, I'd say her involvement was minor, given she was a teacher

They hate women

yeah she worked on the jet but you can only presume that if she trained in the army then she was trained in weapons which would have been useful to Isis. They did have female trainers, a US female was convicted of it.

• Advertisement

The Kansas woman led and trained over 100 Isis fighters in weapons, grenades and suicide vests, her involvement was far from minor and she is doing a 20 year prison sentence for it now. Isis might hate women but they did find uses for them that wasnt just sex.

id say you are over estimating the level of training they get in the irish army

10 year olds, I'd say she gave a few women a few tips on self defense, thats about it

She pleaded guilty to training terrorists, this wasnt just self defence,

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/08/1103664950/fluke-ekren-guilty-isis-female-battalion

A U.S. woman pleaded guilty Tuesday to operating an all-female military group for ISIS in Syria.

Allison Fluke-Ekren, 42, who became the leader of the ISIS battalion known as Khatiba Nusaybah, taught women how to use AK-47s and explosive devices, according to the U.S. Justice Department.

"Over 100 women and young girls, including as young as 10 or 11-years-old, received military training from Fluke-Ekren in Syria on behalf of ISIS," prosecutors said in a statement.

10 year olds are very easy to manipulate into suicide missions btw, their age doesnt stop them killing hundreds with a bomb.

I saw the article when I was looking up female ISIS fighters, which this might be the only instance of

drowned out by articles on women fighting against isis

A women training a woman, did these women ever doing anything, the 10 years olds, not much info there, the only place I could even find the name of that battalion was in articles about that woman

there is not a hope they fought anyone and not a hope that they let a woman train any men.

Even the irish security forces agree she was just there to provide a bitta sex and a few bob

stupid as it sounds

It is. It can be something more or less benign where people find comfort in believing that somewhere some divine being is watching over them, or it can be something that's more like a cult that seeks to control every aspect of your life and demonize everyone that don't belong in the said cult. She's more of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

'Treason!' they shout

'Death Penalty!' they cry

What time is the mob assembling so lads?

Correct judgement in the case, headline sentence could have been a slight bit more maybe, but the state really had no evidence of her doing anything more than going to Syria to join ISIL.

I had a look for other sentences of membership of an illegal org but google is now full of links to this case and I didn't feel like doing much trawling.

Found one case from 2002 a PIRA member found with the addresses of members of the Garda Emergency response unit on a handwritten note among other details more significant in his case and he was only sentenced to 3 years.

Who? Me? No, I'm an atheist. Herself? Also no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Juxtaposed against, for example, a young man who was reported as getting 10 years for possessing a large quantity of cocaine, it seems to me ridiculously lenient. She could easily commit the same offenses again on release. I suspect she got credit for having been a former member of the army but surely it should be the opposite, should be treated more harshly if anything. I suspect if a former British or US soldier committed similar offenses the book would be thrown at them.

Advertisement