Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vince McMahon "retires" *Megathread* Mod warning added in post 437

• 22-07-2022 9:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This 100% deserves its own thread, lol.

Vince has announced his retirement this evening. Steph and Nick Khan take over as co-CEOs. Hunter back to replace Johnny Ace as Head of Talent Relations too.

feels like this is legit one of the biggest days in pro wrestling history now.

Mod: If people would just engage in a civil manner and cut out the tribalistic nonsense the forum might be in better shape. If you don't like something someone says report it and leave the modding to the moderators.

Post edited by Necro on

Comments

Please take Kevin Dunn with him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jaysus and unreal, that's all I gotta say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Walked before he was pushed. Or he was pushed and they're allowing him to do it with "dignity."

Legendary wrestling character, the ultimate villain. But also a roaring cúnt.

"PWInsider.com is told that the Vince McMahon retirement decision was privately made "about a week ago."

We are told that the decision was made to place Stephanie McMahon and Nick Khan into the co-CEO role shortly after. We are told it was a very closed circle that knew and shockwaves are still registering within WWE HQ and beyond.

Kevin Dunn and Bruce Prichard are running tonight's Smackdown taping in Boston. Vince McMahon was not present at all today in Beantown."

• Advertisement

I’d guess something horrific is about to come out, worse than the things he’s tried to fight through so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

somewhere Kevin Dunn and Bruce Prichard are feeling light headed.

It feels like that rumble you hear before an avalanche.

In the statement Vince says he'll still be majority shareholder so can he still veto decisions and the like?

• Advertisement

Why ? I don’t think tony khan needed to weigh in on this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

He is still probably be pulling the strings behind the scenes if he is still the majority owner. I wonder who will be head of creative? HHH will be pretty busy running talent relations. Maybe Heyman with Prichard?

This is exactly how I feel. Even if creative gets really good with Vince gone, I still can't watch with how they shoot the show. If Dunn went as well and they cut out all the camera cuts/shaky cam shite, I'd definitely try to get back into WWE.

Vince AND Brock gone? Bloody hell, tempted to give this new Era a chance now 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Vince the story is genuine and Vince is actually gone; how bad must the story the Wall Street Journal is publishing on McMahon be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Good maybe now we'll get something better than Brock v Roman every month. Brock is a legend no doubt but his days of main eventing ppvs should have been long over and hopefully are now.

I actually can’t believe it’s happened. This is genuinely a massive news story in wrestling. I mean I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to think Vince would he carried out of titan towers in a wooden box. Well mark it down, July 22nd, 2022 is a massive day in wrestling history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The only way Vince will be truely gone is when he sells his majority shares and has no controlling interest in the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought no chance this would happen, wonder what is coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What do you do if you are a McMahon kid but don’t like to be in the spotlight?? Can you work behind the scenes in the organisation doing something business related, and still be multi millionaire or even billionaire??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems to be an unpleasant person behind the scenes. The nasty "Mr McMahon" character of the last couple of decades may well be quite close to the real version. He appears to be a megalomaniac and to have a serious temper on him and now we're hearing rumours of the sexual assault / harassment stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Okay, I'll admit I was shocked reading this news.

But not at Smackdown? Maybe Raw or make the Biggest Party of the Summer about him? Though not sure if he would want anything like that.

I do think Tony should've tried to be the bigger man and wish him luck, Or if he wanted to have a dig, wish him luck in his future endeavours.

Ashley Massaro took her own life after Vince covered up her rape and pressured her into not reporting it while on tour of a US military base.

Vince is a disgusting human and if there is any justice he will lose all his money when former talent bring a class action lawsuit against him and then he can burn in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

But is he retiring from Creative though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭john boye

Must be pretty severe if he's retired on twitter. Given that it's a Friday they could have popped a big rating if they had him announce it on smackdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A living legend, the ultimate villain/heel. His fued with Austin in the late 90s was peak wwf for me, you couldn't wait for the next show every week.

You can't even quantify what he did for pro wrestling though turning it into a multi billion dollar product.

Whatever comes out he will remain the first name you think of when it comes to pro wrestling.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect any changes immediately. Like Brock shouldn't have walked out. I know they said they've been manoeuvring people into roles recently but doesn't it usually take a while for a handover of that level to take place, unless they've been forced out with immediate effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Announce his retirement on a Friday 5 minutes after close of business on the stock market that is why he did it on a Friday so the share price wouldn't take an instant hit.

Frightful select have updated their story to include that Kevin Dunn is not long for WWE and is likely gone soon enough. Thank **** for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭briany

Pffft, I don't believe it. He literally lives for WWE. He's never going to potter around the garden and take up painting. To paraphrase Kyle Reese in The Terminator, "It's what he DOES! It's ALL he DOES!!!" Even if he permanently steps down from CEO, he's going to figure out a way to remain in charge of the show.

Anyway, for all his faults, Vince being out of the picture marks the completion of WWE's transition to an utterly soulless corporate entity that's been in progress since it first went public.

I actually think Vince retiring is bad news for AEW. Don't think they would have been able to sign so much quality from WWE in recent years without so many of their signings being pissed off with how the company was being run under Vince. I think with Vince gone it will make it harder for them to pick up stars from WWE. I could even see Stephanie and HHH convincing Sasha to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, and the knocks against guys leaving AEW are gone now. Guys like MJF might actually be used well depending on new creative.

WWE could be being ran creatively by Heyman, HHH, Jarrett, Cody etc now. That's a massive draw and if Dunn goes too, WWE will be a lot more watchable.

Only question now is what's coming that made Vince step down in a tweet. If it's bad, WWE as a whole could be getting dragged down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone who thinks that wrestling people will be put in charge of creative is dreaming, when you think of who is now (ostensibly) in charge. Stephanie is the one who ushered in the era of hiring TV writers and Nick Khan cannot have any true appreciation of what wrestling minds bring to the product. It was a Stephanie strop which got Heyman kicked off of Smackdown creative back in the day as well, wasn't it? HHH's ticker trouble tells me he's not going to want to be the point man of WWE. I think he's taking over from Laurenitis, but that'll be as far as it goes.

Maybe they can develop a process where show plans/scripts have a deadline at which point they're locked in to prevent any changing of the show a few mins before or during, unless absolutely necessary.

If Brock has left in protest then it likely means Vince was forced out with Brock showing loyalty. I'm sure Vince could convince him to come back since it's only until tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm kinda surprised Brock walked out because of this given Sable's past with WWE and Vince

Is it confirmed, yeah?

Fùcking lol. Believing these guys is reason for ridicule but God love the people who gives them money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement

I mean, it was confirmed by multiple sources 😂 what’s more likely a load of journalists conspired to lie about it, or Brock (who is well documented as being a drama queen) walked out when he heard the news and was convinced to go back.

A quick phone call from Vince along the lines of “I’m gone from creative pal, but I do still own the stock and need WWE not to immediately implode, yeah?” Likely was made quickly, lol.

A stooge 'til the end. Surprised he is only 75. He looked ancient at the peak of the Attitude Era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Huge shock but what a legacy he has

Christ he will be working out like **** now and he's already in great nic for his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

End of an era I guess. We all knew the day would come where vince wasn't around. But still shocking.

Here is hoping wwe becomes the better product it once was..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He still owns the company. He'll be heavily involved. Wouldnt be surprised to see him back once all this stuff dies down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shrewd view.

The more I think of it Vince can't "be gone" - as in no power, no running things. Like he'll be in the backseat. He still owns majority.

What's that character in the x-files? The smoking man in the corner? Lol. That's vince now.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

Wouldn't Billy Corgan actually be the longest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement