Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vince McMahon "retires" *Megathread* Mod warning added in post 437

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If he does pass away in the very near future would WWE run tribute shows

The **** must of been going through his head in the 2000s, fighting his own Daughter in the ring along with beating up a guy with one leg. Looking juiced off his tits

Turns out the health issue is a load of bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Netflix are after signing a MASSIVE deal with WWE, this will be just the message they want to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’ve been waiting for this for decades now. That graphic and the Tiger Kings ties are getting me very excited.

I find with all wrestling docs, other of ones made by the business, have to somewhat appeal to the casual fan and it takes from them having the extensive WWE knowledge.

I’m praying that 99% of this is candid and not laced with any kayfabe stuff. The “count on one hand” mainstream interviews I’ve seen with Vince over the years have all been so intriguing.

Might not be popular to say but if it’s a six episode hatch job I’ll be disappointed.

The 25th can’t come quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes. This bodes well. I normally hate out and out hatchet jobs but count me in.There could be a darkness to this (like Tiger King) that could make fascinating viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

well before this Vince statement, I saw a report that WWE weren’t exactly thrilled about this documentary either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vince tried to buy the doc and shelve it.

He also tried to get Ari Emanuel to buy it and shelve it.

Starting to think it really won't be a puff peice now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Based off Vince's own tweet last night this is definitely gonna hit him hard....

This review say it asks questions but really doesn't follow up on anything.

Mr. McMahon Promises "The True Vince McMahon" and Delivers Everything But

The Mr McMahon docuseries doesn't deliver on its promise to show us a new side of Vince McMahon, because the man himself doesn't want us to see it.

The whole appeal of this documentary over any other wrestling documentary is the fact that it has Vince’s perspective in it, something he’s never offered anywhere else. However, either the producers didn’t make the most of that opportunity, or Vince had no interest in giving them what they wanted.

With every controversy that’s covered, Vince gives his version of events and then flatly denies any wrongdoing, and that’s it. I don’t know if the producers were too scared to ask McMahon the tough questions or if he refused to answer them, but almost no attempt is made to get him to take accountability for anything that’s happened.

The result is a series where a topic is introduced, Vince gives his perspective, and then they cut to another interviewee (usually wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer) to give the opposing perspective. There’s no discussion, no interrogation of the facts, just stating both sides of the argument and then moving on.

At least that’s how it is when the documentary actually wants to offer an opposing viewpoint. One episode starts with Vince explaining his reasoning behind the Wendi Richter screwjob in 1985, which goes entirely unchallenged despite it being a controversial incident and Wendi Richter being one of the interviewees. He just says that Richter was refusing to drop the title and so they were forced to screw her, with no mention of the fact that Richter claims the reason it happened is because she dared to commit the terrible sin of asking for fair pay compared to the men.

That’s part of what makes it so infuriating – most of Vince’s denials aren’t even solid. When asked about Sable suing the then-WWF in 1999 he just claims he doesn’t remember it happening. A follow-up question is then asked about Sable’s 2002 return and affair storyline with Vince which he just doesn’t answer, giving a quick murmur and a chuckle while being very visibly uncomfortable. McMahon is wholly intent on not giving us anything that hasn’t been the strict company line since all of these incidents happened…………

https://www.mensjournal.com/streaming/mr-mcmahon-review

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/09/24/vince-mcmahon-no-longer-working-with-sitrick-and-company-pr-firm-ahead-of-netflix-docuseries-release/

Being dropped by your Pr firm right before a documentary releases on you is not a good look. They’re the ones who usually get paid to damage control these things, and even they’re running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Petermc83

i wonder will they cover his role in the Montreal Screw Job… Would be interesting to see his take on it.. doubt it is even brought up though!

Watched the first three episodes up to the Montreal screwjob and it's all fuff and woah is me the "Man" is out to get me from Vince.

The talking heads are pretty much all putting themselves over without really buring McMahon badly.

They are covering everything but not digging down into anything.

Wrestling fans know the full stories better than they have been shown so far in the first three episodes and Dark Side did a better job covering the major events like rape, the ring boy rapes and covering up of murder that have come up in the first three episodes.

Finished it and over all it was general puff piece that really doesn't dig deep into anything about what an evil bastard Vince McMahon really is and just skims over everything.

The last 30 minutes of the final episode were added nearly two years after the documentary was finished/completed.

The last half hour of the last episode goes into the current legal action and the Ashley rape & suicide gets mentioned and only the non-contracted WWE/TKO talking heads speak on it except Brother Love who just speaks to sh1t on the non-WWE/TKO talking heads saying this whole thing is a Gotcha! on Vince.

Overall for the whole thing only the non-contracted WWE/TKO talking heads say anything slightly negitive about Vince and even then its brushed aside really quickly or just moved past onto something else with the edits.

If your a wrestling fan on fourms like this there is absolutely nothing new there at all.

Casual or non wrestling fans may see it as shocking.

Yeah that seems the overall consensus on social media. Most of the people I follow are coming back with the "Nothing new here. We have heard all the yearns countless times. Very disappointing".

Think it will fall flat for wrestling fans TBH.

Coming into this I haven’t realised that how much I enjoyed the Dark Side Of The Ring and how that was approached. The quality of their stuff was fantastic.

What we needed here was a very candid look at the backstage ins and outs of the Vince and the WWE business over the years. Great that Hogan, Cena, Taker, Bret, Rock and all the mega legends are involved but for better or worse they deep down are all Vince acolytes (even Bret).

The amount of content relating to the WWE and the Pro Wrestling business is just endless. If I think, and I wouldn't even be a real die-hard, it feels like I've listened to hundreds and hundreds of hours about Montreal for example. I've listened to a million "talking-heads" across loads and loads of WWE produced docs. One PW wrestling podcast would be enough, but we have hundreds at our disposal, all curated by many of the big players over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SteM

What were people expecting, honestly. The majority of people that would rush to see this know all about the allegations already and we were already told Janelle Grant didn't do an interview for it. Now that might have made it an explosive doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I’m surprised Bruce Pritchard was able to take his head out of Vince’s ass long enough to actually be interviewed for this.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't know what people were expecting from a documentary mostly made when the allegations came out. Did anyone expect anything groundbreaking to the point more heads would roll or any deals would be in jeopardy? I'm sorry, but Lol if you did. The allegations were a handy bit of marketing though undoubtedly for Netflix.

It's utterly by the numbers which you would expect from a streamer that just invested a **** load of money into WWE.

The only interesting parts after roughly 4 episodes were the little moments, such as Stephanie unbelievably and laughably playing dumb when she was asked about a certain outside star Vince brought in. I'm not sure I'll watch the rest, in no rush.

The documentary was made two years ago and has been on the shelf since then before any of these new allegations come out.

Regards,

P.

That's my nights viewing sorted

Kind of wish FB pages would stop putting spoilers up

Don't want to be a backseat mod but it may be worthwhile splitting this thread and placing a Possible Spoilers on it.

I hope there will be good discussion on this doc here.

Watched two this evening. It’s grand. That’s it.

Has really feck all to do with Vince and nearly is just a love letter to PW and WWE.

Am enjoying it. It’s interesting to get so much candid Vince insight.

Post edited by ShagNastii on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ThePott

On Episode 4 now, which I believe was what the original episode count was meant to be.

Doesn't really feel like a Vince documentary. Certainly there are parts of it where he is the focus but it gets sidetracked on telling the wrestling stories we've heard a million times as fans; Montreal screwjob, Monday Night Wars, etc. Albeit with some good footage or pics that you may not have seen. Technically it's a decent documentary but it's unfocused and meandering.

Hearing Vince's input is interesting if only because we never really got that. I do think it is damning to him in certain aspects. His comments about Rita Chatterton, about the statute of limitations for example. The talking heads saying he's essentially the Mr. McMahon character is fairly damning, as much as I'm sure they meant it more lighthearted originally. I also think Meltzer was great in this to be honest.

There's nothing new here for people who follow wrestling, it will be shocking to people who were not aware of all this, although at the same time, I'd be surprised if those people would sit through this or even comprehend half of it.

The fact the interviews are from so long ago now and there likely won't be much comments due to it being a pending legal case, I haven't high hopes for the last two episodes to be any sort of revelation. I still think the best and most extensive take down of Vince was the Behind the Bastards podcast.

• Advertisement

My missus is meh about wrestling. She’s had enjoyable nights at OTT but wouldn’t last ten minutes watching Raw or even Mania.

She commented how utterly uninteresting it was.

It’s from the makers of the Tiger King. That was fascinating. Truly jaw dropping. The stuff throughout that were “10”s. Ringboys, Steroids, WCW, Montreal don’t even register as a “1 or 2”.

The Benoit situation is probably worthy of a documentary all on its own.

Only episode 3 myself. I mean you can say it's a fluff piece but Vince in essence admitted to rape in episode 2 with his flustered "it wasn't rape... Well even if it was rape it was outside the statute of limitations" comment regarding the female ref. That was an opportunity to actually dive deeper they definitely flubbed but at least they got that part I suppose.... And a man admitting rape ain't that fluffy!

3 episodes in

Enjoying it but a lot of the first 3 are more about Vinces 'creations' and the steroid trials

Phil Mushnick hates WWE and Vince, Vince hates him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

3 episodes in. Very enjoyable. Nothing we don't know but very well made.

Much better production values than DSOTR

I was very impressed with Meltzer who was used as a fact checker and to paraphrase his line where he said they said the lie so much they actually believe it’s true pretty much sums up WWE and wrestling in general.

Regards,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

4 episodes in, not sure I'm going to finish it, maybe I will just to see it out.

Nothing in it so far that wrong don't already know, plenty of lies, lots of kissing arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Benoit situation? Dark Side of the Ring opened their second series with a two parter on it and, to me, it's really the final authoritative word (as far as documentaries go) on that whole dark tragedy. Smart marks can say what they want about Jericho, but he (and Chavo Guerrero) was able to engineer one small glimmer of light from the aftermath of it, so for that alone, he'll always be OK in my book.

Anyway, I digress.

Yeah, looking at the third episode right now and as James Romero of WSI opined, it's basically just a potted history of WWE. All the hits like Vince McMahon took wrestling from a grubby curiosity enacted in cigar smoked filled back rooms to unseen heights - yada, yada, yada. I'd still put it on for something to give my not undivided attention to, but nothing I haven't heard before.

What I want to know is why Netflix went ahead with what appears to be a largely sympathetic portrayal of the man. I would have thought they would be following WWE's general playbook of '…Vince who?' so as not to remind advertisers that the company was once headed up by a guy currently under investigation for sex trafficking, and that's not to mention the other scandals which the doc touches upon like the steroids and ring boy allegations. Basically, not a great business move to be reminding anyone in any way that professional wrestling was, and possibly still is, a pretty seedy business.

Post edited by Necro on

It's remarkable that Bruce Pritchard still has a job with WWE when he's one of McMahon's chief apologists. I would have thought he'd be let go in order to symbolise the transition to a new era. Either he's got an iron clad deal, or he's just so good at his work that they're hanging on to him.

Mod: If people would just engage in a civil manner and cut out the tribalistic nonsense the forum might be in better shape. If you don't like something someone says report it and leave the modding to the moderators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

it's not really a great documentary is it, I'm 3 in and think it's a pile of sh**e TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I am also 3 in, I'm enjoying it.

The cracks are beginning to appear, but we all know how the story played out in the end. Any wrestling fan knows about Fingerpoke of Doom.

Despite everything that happened on and off screen, we all know that Vince won in the end, he walked away with $9,300,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I might passively watch it if I'm sick or hungover, but otherwise after hearing the overall feedback (from here & elsewhere) I'm inclined to give this a miss.

Agree that it's a bizarre decision by Netflix to go ahead with this after signing a massive deal with WWE and the fact that WWE are trying to separate themselves from VKM. Probably nothing more than Netflix knowing it'd generate interest/controversy and by extension a few extra short term subscriptions.

Hearing the doc has an element of sympathy towards him as well also strikes me as odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If you're a wrestling fan giving this a miss is a wild call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I was really hyped for this and watched it all but it really didn't light a fire in my belly.

It isn't bad for sure and a six hour investment in anything on Netflix nowadays is nothing. But being perfectly honest as a wrestling fan there are a platora of docs that were/are more interesting, compelling and more worthy of your time.

If anyone here hasn't seen this I wouldn't dragging you by the sleeves to go see it. Whereas the likes of DSOTR I'd implore everyone here to seek them out ASAP.

The only criticism I would have of DSOTR is that too many of the stories are "once-famous wrestler entered a fatal downward spiral of drugs and alcohol", although you could argue that this is more a criticism of the wrestling industry and its culture that this story is so common.

It was a good watch and for us 'fans' really didn't tell us anything we didn't know . His work 'in the business' is legendary and gave us a lot of great memories even if some of the 'Mr McMahon' stuff was quite frankly ridiculous and at times uncomfortable viewing. Surprised they didn't mention that 'money contest' thing he done which ended with the stage falling on him

It would of been intresting to hear the 'planned interviews to end it' but Vince was obviously told 'no stay away'

The story is not over yet and it's going to be a rollercoaster ride

Intresting hearing taker and Bruce saying how much they love the man

Finished the last two episodes.

Fairly pointless on the whole if you're a wrestling fan and have heard this all before.

The Vince interviews are only noteworthy because of how little we get that insight but otherwise not much to them, outside of the comment about Rita Chaterton and a few other things where he seems shady while trying to avoid being shady.

It feels like a documentary at odds with itself half the time and in general has no real urgency or direction. It comes off more as the history of WWE than a Vince documentary at times, which I guess makes sense as you can't tell one without the other but even still.

It is watchable but far from anything revelatory or insightful.

I did get a laugh out of Prichard's one last defence of Vince only for them to cut to 2 days later.

It was worthwhile for those little moments alone.

Editing wise, there's some good work there. Like Vince saying it's a family company and listing the things they never did… cut to all the times they did🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SteM

Did Vince say there was incest in his family growing up or did I misunderstand him?

Stephanie playing dumb on when Tyson got done for rape, only for them to big her up later on the women's revolution, was an all timer Lol for me.

• Advertisement

Shane came across very well in for me.

Very hard for someone who is a multi millionaire in their own right and the son of a billionaire to appear as a sympathetic character and the only McMahon to come across as grounded and sane person.

Advertisement