Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vince McMahon "retires" *Megathread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Announce his retirement on a Friday 5 minutes after close of business on the stock market that is why he did it on a Friday so the share price wouldn't take an instant hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Frightful select have updated their story to include that Kevin Dunn is not long for WWE and is likely gone soon enough. Thank **** for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭briany

Pffft, I don't believe it. He literally lives for WWE. He's never going to potter around the garden and take up painting. To paraphrase Kyle Reese in The Terminator, "It's what he DOES! It's ALL he DOES!!!" Even if he permanently steps down from CEO, he's going to figure out a way to remain in charge of the show.

Anyway, for all his faults, Vince being out of the picture marks the completion of WWE's transition to an utterly soulless corporate entity that's been in progress since it first went public.

I actually think Vince retiring is bad news for AEW. Don't think they would have been able to sign so much quality from WWE in recent years without so many of their signings being pissed off with how the company was being run under Vince. I think with Vince gone it will make it harder for them to pick up stars from WWE. I could even see Stephanie and HHH convincing Sasha to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, and the knocks against guys leaving AEW are gone now. Guys like MJF might actually be used well depending on new creative.

WWE could be being ran creatively by Heyman, HHH, Jarrett, Cody etc now. That's a massive draw and if Dunn goes too, WWE will be a lot more watchable.

Only question now is what's coming that made Vince step down in a tweet. If it's bad, WWE as a whole could be getting dragged down here.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that wrestling people will be put in charge of creative is dreaming, when you think of who is now (ostensibly) in charge. Stephanie is the one who ushered in the era of hiring TV writers and Nick Khan cannot have any true appreciation of what wrestling minds bring to the product. It was a Stephanie strop which got Heyman kicked off of Smackdown creative back in the day as well, wasn't it? HHH's ticker trouble tells me he's not going to want to be the point man of WWE. I think he's taking over from Laurenitis, but that'll be as far as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe they can develop a process where show plans/scripts have a deadline at which point they're locked in to prevent any changing of the show a few mins before or during, unless absolutely necessary.

If Brock has left in protest then it likely means Vince was forced out with Brock showing loyalty. I'm sure Vince could convince him to come back since it's only until tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,240 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm kinda surprised Brock walked out because of this given Sable's past with WWE and Vince

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is it confirmed, yeah?

Fùcking lol. Believing these guys is reason for ridicule but God love the people who gives them money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I mean, it was confirmed by multiple sources 😂 what’s more likely a load of journalists conspired to lie about it, or Brock (who is well documented as being a drama queen) walked out when he heard the news and was convinced to go back.

A quick phone call from Vince along the lines of “I’m gone from creative pal, but I do still own the stock and need WWE not to immediately implode, yeah?” Likely was made quickly, lol.

A stooge 'til the end. Surprised he is only 75. He looked ancient at the peak of the Attitude Era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Huge shock but what a legacy he has

Christ he will be working out like **** now and he's already in great nic for his age

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

End of an era I guess. We all knew the day would come where vince wasn't around. But still shocking.

Here is hoping wwe becomes the better product it once was..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He still owns the company. He'll be heavily involved. Wouldnt be surprised to see him back once all this stuff dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shrewd view.

The more I think of it Vince can't "be gone" - as in no power, no running things. Like he'll be in the backseat. He still owns majority.

What's that character in the x-files? The smoking man in the corner? Lol. That's vince now.

Post edited by B.A._Baracus on

Wouldn't Billy Corgan actually be the longest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brother Love will just be the puppet for Vince going forward no doubt as long as Vince holds the majority sharehold in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Surely his days are numbered too? Didn't steph get him out before?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In 2008/09 yeah she fired him because of something with a gun from what Bruce has said publicly.

So Ronda stormed out of the HoF a few months back and her Wrestlemania match was in jeopardy. She didn't and it wasn't.

MJF booked a private plane away from Vegas and his DoN match was in jeopardy. He didn't and it wasn't.

Brock stormed out of Smackdown and his Summerslam match is in jeopardy. He didn't and it isn't.

Dirtsheet writers make up nonsense for traffic and Patreon subs and it doesn't matter that they're lying because, for some unknown reason, the internet will defend these guys like they're immediate family.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Pinkman

Surely it would be more logical to have HHH as head of creative and someone else head of talent relations? Inevitably having to do both is surely way too stressful given his heart condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,240 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Making the front pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pity I never got to see him in person

Sure he's only worth 2.4 Billion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The real trick here is Vince is still the majority shareholder. Now, there are some VERY serious laws about what a PLC can and can't do and what the shareholders can and can't do. I won't pretend to know even half of what those things are, but the SEC has some teeth if they want to use them. I don't think anyone's gonna stop him from making phone calls and pulling strings though, this is what he's always done.

I stopped watching WWE because they're disgusting sacking people for "money-saving" reasons in the same week they announce record profits. The product has been awful, but the talent is still top tier. Whatever the decision-making of the last 5-10 years, the previous 35-40 have seen pro wrestling become bigger than anyone would have thought possible when he started and that's not nothing.

• Advertisement

Jim Cornette would probably contend the point about Mcmahon taking wrestling to new heights because back in the 70s and 80s, pretty much every region of the USA had its own territory and local TV station which showed a wrestling program, with millions watching if you take all those together. Because there was little to no nationwide wrestling at this time, there were few if any household names,and relatively little awareness among fans of other promotions.

Vince did, however, manage to make his own promotion the single biggest in history and earned a lot of money in the process.

Advertisement