Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help''' Accidentally formatted SD card, can I retrieve contents??

• 23-07-2022 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

This morning I went to erase a USB stick on my PC not realising that an SD card from my video camera was also inserted

Without realising I erased the SD card and the bad news is that it holds all the videos I took of our family trip to Disneyland Paris, I realised immediately what I had done and removed the SD

The format was the quick method and I haven’t written to it or used it so I am hoping that the format just cleared the index marker and the contents are still there

Do anyone know if I can retrieve the contents and what S/W that is available - did a search online but couldn’t see anything that looks promising

Really stuck here so any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-data-recovery-software

I have used easeus. Its pretty good but haven't used anything else to compare. I don't know what the trial version gives you, maybe a limit on the amount of data recoverable or something.

The link gives free software suggestions aswell. Recuva seems to tick the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recuva/TestDisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

STOP!

Don't attempt to run ANY recovery software on it if the photos and videos are valuable to you.

FIRST thing to do is image/clone the disk. This will take a bit by bit "snapshot" of it, as it is now. You can then used this image to attempt to restore the disk to the state it is in now in case you need to get the professionals involved, or want to start again.

I have used Win32 Disk Imager to do this with success in the past:

https://www.ubackup.com/articles/win32diskimager-clone-sd-card.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Recuva works for me on sdcard s, I used it 3 times on formatted sdcards

don't delete any files just copy em to a hardrive, i think theres a free program at easus. Com but it only allows you to recover x amount of data, even if it shows you the full file list in a scan for deleted files,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PhotoRec is open source and no restrictions.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Easus trial gives u a limited amount of data you can recover , see www.easus.com its called something like data recovery recuva and photorec are good too, testdisk is free, no limits on files to be recovered

Advertisement